Easy Quinoa Recipes?

Options

Replies

• tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I just eat them steamed. I use it to replace rice and starchy carbs.....

Dr. Oz has some interesting recipes for quinoa. I saw one for a Parfait...but not sure how id like that. lol
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thankyou! All of these sound delicious :) I heard that quinoa was a new superfood so just had to buy, though I am least impressed by the price tag lol. I shall try Amazon, thats the only other option for me. Everyone has really good ideas, I will be sure to try. Never thought of it having for breakfast/as a sweet dish but that sounds brilliant. Low carb and like rice/cous cous... dream come true :D
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    There's no limit to what you can do with it. One of my favorite preps for it: Minced sugar plums, a touch of oil, chili paste or Asian v. hot pepper sauce, ground pepper with grilled red onions optional.
  • NE_Girl
    NE_Girl Posts: 9
    Options
    I had quinoa once at a friends but was not sure what to do with it. There's so many ideas i am excited to try here!! Thanks!
  • Tontus94
    Tontus94 Posts: 22
    Options
    Love all the ideas! Keep them coming : )
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    on a bump binge (less calories than snacking) :)
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • 1_day_at_a_time
    Options
    I make it with FF low sodium chicken broth, fresh minced garlic and green onion. soooo goood!!!!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I've made Quinoa 2 different ways:

Mexican cold salad: quinoa, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, avocado, cilantro, freshly chopped jalapeno, and lime juice
    Mexican "rice": quinoa, tomato sauce, onion, some water, chicken stock, and boil like it arroz

The first one is similar to the recipe I posted earlier in the thread!
  • sassyleo73
    sassyleo73 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Instead of plain water, I cook it with chicken or vegetable stock. It's more flavorful.
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    Options
    bump
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    Options
    what can I expect to pay on Amazon or Costco? I have never heard of this stuff until recently. Excited to give it a try!

I just looked on Amazon and for Bob's Red Mill Organic Grain Quinoa, 26-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4) it comes to $38.92 before shipping (but you can obviously get whatever kind you want). That's not too bad because it's super expensive in stores ... which is why I've never bought/tried it. I will now though THANK YOU TO whoever mentioned buying it on Amazon!!!!! :) Also, someone posted on here go to pinterest and search for quinoa ... a TON of recipes come up!

I hope that helps - good luck!
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    Options
    If I have 1/4c. quinoa and 1 c. water, it comes to a smidge over 3/4c after its cooked. I just throw the stuff in the crockpot with chicken, peppers, tomatoes and salsa and cook until the chicken is done. VOILA!

SO going to try this!! It sounds awesome! I've never made it before. No water added when you do crock pot right?

What are the measurements/directions for this recipe or do you just add "a little of this, a little of that" ... LOL
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    Options
    Quinoa is one of my favorite foods!! Yumm!!

I use it in place of potatoes, rice and pasta, but my favorite way to eat it is as a breakfast dish. While the quinoa is cooking throw in some chopped up apple, raisins, cinamon and a brown sugar replacement (such as Sugar Twin). I make a big batch of it and reheat it with a splash of almond milk in the mornings. SO GOOD.

I am SOO trying this - sounds delicious!!! Pasta is my weakness so maybe I can do away with it and replace it with Quinoa :)

Thanks everyone for sharing recipes. I am excited to try Quinoa - haven't yet because too expensive (will buy on Amazon from now on thanks to the member who posted that little hint) and do not know the 1st thing on how to cook it or what to make with it :)
  • murray292
    murray292 Posts: 32
    Options
    bump
  • cdparrish
    cdparrish Posts: 30
    Options
    bump
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is one of my favorite foods!! Yumm!!

I use it in place of potatoes, rice and pasta, but my favorite way to eat it is as a breakfast dish. While the quinoa is cooking throw in some chopped up apple, raisins, cinamon and a brown sugar replacement (such as Sugar Twin). I make a big batch of it and reheat it with a splash of almond milk in the mornings. SO GOOD.

I am SOO trying this - sounds delicious!!! Pasta is my weakness so maybe I can do away with it and replace it with Quinoa :)

Thanks everyone for sharing recipes. I am excited to try Quinoa - haven't yet because too expensive (will buy on Amazon from now on thanks to the member who posted that little hint) and do not know the 1st thing on how to cook it or what to make with it :)
    If you have a costco or a samsclub it's even cheaper there!
  • springseternal
    springseternal Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I eat quinoa with blueberries, chopped up strawberries, and cashews. If the berries aren't quite sweet enough, I may add a little bit of honey or agave to it.