Protein Bars? What are your Faves? Ones to Avoid?

Options

Replies

• Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i go for whatever has the most protein usually, but sometimes ill make homemade ones too using whey protein.
  • Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love Jay bar - coconut cashew is my favorite.
  • laurcampbell
    laurcampbell Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love the Fortifx protein bars! They are like triple baked or something and have 30 grams of protein. There's 3 different kinds and they are all delicious. You can get them at GNC.

thank you - need to up my protein and def going to give these a try!!
  • laurcampbell
    Options
    i go for whatever has the most protein usually, but sometimes ill make homemade ones too using whey protein.

do you have a recipe for the homemade bars you make? I too try to go for the ones with the most protein since it is severly lacking from my diet and I havent found one I enjoy yet (I literally choke down detour and pure protein bars), hoping maybe a homemade one might do the trick!
  • rustyguy
    rustyguy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The Extend Bar is pretty good. 11g of protein, no sugar, 150 calories and 1 net carb. I eat the peanut butter chocolate delight for a snack. I think they are only available online but drugstore.com has free shipping.
  • katmont
    katmont Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like the Kind bars and they are really good
  • laurcampbell
    Options
    I have been making my own lately, and prefer them..............posted this a while back, but here is the recipe and stats if you want to give it a shot.

2 cups kashi go lean crunch berry crumble
    4 scoops body fortress vanilla
    4 tbs skippy peanut butter
    6tbs pb2 chocolate
    .5 cup 2% milk

calories Carbs fat protein sugar fiber
    200 20 6 20 7 4 (each)

mix all in bowl, will consistency of very thick cookie dough
    press into a 8x8 pan, pyrex
    (could just chill and cut probably)
    I bake at 350 for about 10-15 until edges brown
    cool.............cut into 8 bars

This sounds great. Gonna give this a try. I have yet to find a protein bar that isn't full of crap and actually tastes good. I MUCH rather make my own. I never even thought to try my own. You can completely control the macro content this way. Awesome idea!

I would like to give this a try - just not sure what you mean by 6tbsp pb2 chocolate - can you explain?
    Thanks so much!
  • BethJamo71
    BethJamo71 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    to the poster who asked what's wrong w/GMOs: Ethically Everything. The companies that push this crap, are producing terminator seeds, Meaning when harvest is done the seeds produced are sterile and won't produce anything, nothing is stopping cross-pollination, the comanies have also gone into OUR national seed bank and taken the seeds and PATENTED them. They are obliterating varieties and are not testing for hardiness against weather conditions, and local pests. In this process they are also wiping out family farms, mostly through litigation.

Monsanto is one of the chief offenders, however there are multiple companies in this catagory. Monsanto creates Round Up and is generating plants that will resist Round up so they can dump even more on them. Essentially poisoning our water table. RoundUp is based on Agent Orange. Herbacides are known carcenogens. Add it all together and you have a recipe for future famine. Oh and they are also a large cause of migration from Mexico because the mexican farmers couldn't compete with the cheap GMO corn and they moved into cities which couldn't support them and then came here out of desperation.

Nutritionally these foods don't hold the value of natural foods AND more importantly hold the potential for SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTIONS i.e. anaphalyaxis where in tissues swell and the throat closes and heartrate elevates. Our DNA has cell markers that determine our genetic traits, these markers known as aleals are proteins. Sometimes, we encounter a protein (eat, breathe or enteres through a cut or injection.) that the body sees as an intruder AND it resembles one of our own proteins (my understanding is that is usually the alleals it resembles) , the next time we encounter that protein our body goes on high alert and starts attaking ALL of the proteins that it sees as an enemy intruder. Hence, the autoimmune response known as allergies. Other known auto immune responses/diseases include Multiple Sclerosis, Ezcema, Lupus, hayfever, hives etc.

Esthetically: they don't taste as good. i.e. mealy tomatoes because they're designed to have longer shelf life for transportation, the Macintosh, Red and Golden Delicious Apple varietis (blech), most store bought peaches.

Green: (by green in this speciffic post I mean energy used to produce and transport) Local and organic for storage, middle men, and transportation reasons are better. Lots of grocery stores at least in my area carry local produce when it is in season.

sorry for dragging everyone off topic but for the EXACT reasons Iisted above I will look into finding a better protein bar.
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    Damn I hope that those Quest bars are all they're cracked up to be, Coz I just spent $65 AU on them, including $25 shipping! Thank God our dollar is doing okay these days

Did you like them and think they were worth the money?
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein is good tasting, low cal and high protein but no fiber. Atkins Advantage also good taste, significant protein and lots of fiber. I like them both!
  • allieguerra22
    Options
    I have been making my own lately, and prefer them..............posted this a while back, but here is the recipe and stats if you want to give it a shot.

2 cups kashi go lean crunch berry crumble
    4 scoops body fortress vanilla
    4 tbs skippy peanut butter
    6tbs pb2 chocolate
    .5 cup 2% milk

calories Carbs fat protein sugar fiber
    200 20 6 20 7 4 (each)

mix all in bowl, will consistency of very thick cookie dough
    press into a 8x8 pan, pyrex
    (could just chill and cut probably)
    I bake at 350 for about 10-15 until edges brown
    cool.............cut into 8 bars

I'll have to try these!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I tried a few protein bars here in the Uk and just find them mostly overpriced, glorified chocolate bars. Full of sugar and names I cannot pronounce and a list of ingredients as long as my arm. I stick to 9 bars which are full of seeds, some sugar but much cheaper, or nakd which are raw fruit and nut bars with nothing added. I find them perfectly adequate. I sometimes have a bag of garbanzo roasted chickpeas too.
  • tawnierose
    tawnierose Posts: 39
    Options
    [/quote]

I would like to give this a try - just not sure what you mean by 6tbsp pb2 chocolate - can you explain?
    Thanks so much!
    [/quote]

PB2 chocolate is powdered peanut butter chocolate flavoured.

http://bellplantation.com/
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Quest bars. Worth the cost, for me anyhow :)
  • kayvjackson
    kayvjackson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found Quest bars at Vitamin Shoppe, if anyone is still looking for them.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Cliff Builder Bars yum!
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    They are a little high in calories, with 290, but the Snickers Protein bars, especially the Caramel Rush flavor, are fantastic. They have 20 grams of protein. I don't recommend the pure protein, but that is because I had a bad reaction to them and was sick to my stomach for a few days.
  • claychick2
    claychick2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Dale's bars. You have to order them directly online because they make them from scratch. They are AWESOME. 22g protein, 14-15g carbs, etc. They have nuts and/or nut butters so make sure to read the ingredients if you have to avoid any. We've tried about 8-10 flavors between us and have loved most of them.