Dating on MFP? Why or Why not?

Options
123457»

Replies

• beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    There aren't many asian men on here, but if there were and I was single, I might give it a try.

They have to be asian? What if someone said they'd only date a white man?

Then you'd be called racists. It is a double standard.

Hardly.

I would only date white men because that is what I am attracted too, does not mean that I am racist.
  • margeauxhunt
    Options
    I don't think I would date someone I met off the internet, to be honest. Been there done that.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on this...

I'm older, out of the dating relm (been married for 22 years), and met my husband before the internet (on the stairmaster at the gym). I don't get how meeting someone online works.

You are on your computer typing things in... could be true, could be exaggerated. He's at his computer typing things in... could be true, could be exaggerated. You're generally a trusting person, but you must be skeptical of what you read online. How do you get from there to a relationship?

I rarely even buy things online. I need to see the product in person... make sure it fits.

Just saying..
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

You are on your computer typing things in... could be true, could be exaggerated. He's at his computer typing things in... could be true, could be exaggerated. You're generally a trusting person, but you must be skeptical of what you read online. How do you get from there to a relationship?

You are in a bar saying things... could be true, could be exaggerated. He's standing at the bar saying things... could be true, could be exaggerated. You're generally a trusting person, but you must be skeptical of what people say to you in bars. How do you get from there to a relationship?

:-D
  • yaddayaddayadda
    Options

You are in a bar saying things... could be true, could be exaggerated. He's standing at the bar saying things... could be true, could be exaggerated. You're generally a trusting person, but you must be skeptical of what people say to you in bars. How do you get from there to a relationship?

I wouldn't recommend meeting people at bars either...
  • darrensurrey
    Options

I wouldn't recommend meeting people at bars either...

You're right but then even in sports clubs or whatever, people can still lie. People can lie anywhere about their education or career, their aspirations, past relationships, victims. :-D
  • emmiee921
    emmiee921 Posts: 224
    Options
    i think its a good idea..

i have already met up with someone from here, who happened to live like 2 mins from me :)

we meet up occasionally and go for walks.

id love to meet some more people. but not many live in australia, melbourne
  • yaddayaddayadda
    Options
    You're right but then even in sports clubs or whatever, people can still lie. People can lie anywhere about their education or career, their aspirations, past relationships, victims. :-D
    [/quote]

Agreed... I do think that a face-to-face relationship is better than an online relationship. It is much easier to judge character in person. I don't envy those of you in the dating arena!! Good luck to all:wink::wink:
  • Razkler14
    Razkler14 Posts: 74
    Options
    I didn't join this site to date by any means but have met some pretty awesome people via MFP. Buuuut most of them live clear across the country from me... Not really feasible to start a relationship but I'm making some pretty sweet friends in the process!
  • Nokarot
    Nokarot Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    In regards to this whole conversation about dating certain races, I don't think its racist to have a preference. Everyone has preferences, things their brain has been conditioned to respond more warmly to. It's not a conscious decision to prefer one thing over the other. On a fitness site, I guess my analogy would be that some people enjoy pepperoni pizza while others enjoy pinapple pizza. You're not a food-racist (ha, not sure what word to use there) if you don't like one of them, your taste buds make that decision for you. The same goes for what people find attractive in another person in regards to relationships.

That said, you may surprise yourself. There was a time I considered myself somebody who was only attracted to white women (no offense to anyone else- As I said, it's a subconscious reaction) but occasionally I'd find an exception to the rule. Of course, I'm single still, but just sayin q_q

I know that topic was dying off and I'm sorry to beat a dead horse, I just wanted to add my 2 cents.
  • trababes1971
    trababes1971 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have met boyfriends in a social surrounding, first major one i met at college, and we lived together. He turned out to be an utter skitz and used me as his punch bag, would lock me in the house for days etc. I was 18 at the time. I have had good relationships where met in normal circumastance and also bad ones. However skip forward. I met my husband on a social networking site and i have to say im onde of the lucky ones as it was the best thing ever, and we are married. (well ok atm we are living seperate but that is due to me being ill with problems etc, and was my choice to move out to give us both breathing space) But i am moving back home. Anyone can lie.. it dosnt matter where you meet them. And if meeting anyone in any situation you have to be careful at all times. Sometimes your not safe even at work.. look at my situation i was sexually assaulted by a member of staff who i thought was a friend. xxx
  • SmileeBarbFLA
    Options
    I would PREFER someone that doesn't have the perfect body but is working hard to get it! I would LOVE a workout partner!

Too many times I've fallen for these skinny girls that each McDs all day and flop in front of the TV and never gain a pound. That's not good! They're usually lazy as hell too, whine about walking across a parking lot

Really?

I'd take a 200 lbs woman that's doing couch to 5k over any playmate that sits on her *kitten* all day

i can run with the runner, the playmate i'd just ogle.

i've had the strippers and the cheerleaders. They're a lot of fun, but that's as far as it gets. They're like a roller coaster, fun to ride a few times but you wouldn't want it in your house.

OMG why aren't there more men out there with this mentality?!??? It's soooooo hard out there in the real world since from my experience, "most" men want a supermodel arm-candy girlfriend/wife and won't even give a girl with some meat a second look. I have SOOOOO much to offer a great guy and until he comes along, its the single life for me and I am just fine with that. This is the time I'm focusing on ME and getting to be where I want physically. I love my fitness and working out and wouldn't give it up for anything. It would be WONDERFUL to meet a guy to share it with, someone who understands and loves me for me, not because I'm a size 2 or a 20!!! On the same note, I know plenty of women that are into fitness and their men are the lazy couch potatoes. Goes both ways.

Any single guys in Florida???? hehehehe :flowerforyou:
  • ToEKnee213
    ToEKnee213 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    OP: You are married. You have no business trying to date anyone on MFP or anywhere else.

Every time you post, I love you! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • ToEKnee213
    ToEKnee213 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I've dated people online, none that live more than 2 hours from me. Not a big deal.

I totally have MFP crushes (male & female), but I'm not here to "hook up"....my primary focus is getting healthier and receiving the motivation I'm not getting from "real life" friends and my family. I've met some really kick *kitten* people here, and would even entertain the idea of going out of for coffee/dinner/gym/walks, etc....but I don't want someone to think my end goal is get in their pants...or shorts....as with any relationship, romantic or otherwise, spend time together...never know what will happen.

I think I just confused myself...negative calories for the day will do that.....:grumble:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    No dating for me, period. Got places to go and things to do. But otherwise, sure, MFP would be a great place to find someone who knows how rough getting thin and in shape can be. Plus, this site has lots of great people on it.

And equal opportunity dater here as well, although I tend to give preference to Latinos, Asians, and Native Americans just for being extra easy on the eyes. Hey, I like cheekbones. And I have no idea where my own are, I have chipmunk cheeks even when I'm skinny.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    There aren't many asian men on here, but if there were and I was single, I might give it a try.

They have to be asian? What if someone said they'd only date a white man?

"white" can cover a lot of races.

i guess i can't knock someone for liking what they like, i prefer natural redheads, and even though technically that's not racist that does narrow it down to a specific race.

When I dated, I almost always always dated White men. My bf now is of French descent. Oh la la.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    I've dated many different colours, nationalities and races... it's about what's going on inside their head not their colour. Let's face it, unless you're going for a quick shag, you want someone whom you can put up with for the next 50 years.