Diet Coke ok. Right...?

Options
1235»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It's not healthy obviously, but you are right it has zero calories so it shouldn't affect your weight loss. I drink a diet pepsi every once in a while.

I've always been a dr pepper kind of girl ever since I was probably 7 years old... but I tried diet dr pepper on a few occasions and every time it tasted like complete ****. Maybe I will give that dr pepper 10 a try... Diet pepsi on the other hand tastes good, I think.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I am a diet coke addict. Although I have cut my consumption down from 10 - 12 a day to my present 4 a day I only did that so I could get in more water. I don't think it has affected my weight loss in any way.

Don't do it to get more water in. Diet Coke is 99.99% water and COUNTS AS WATER dietetically.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    One of my professors a few years ago did a experiment on this. He found that those who had diet soda vs. regular soda would eat more.
    Other studies have shown similar results.
    But none of the studies showed that is was the diet soda that caused more eating. Psychologically if someone thought they were ingesting less calories they could eat more. That's just common sense.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You are correct that the SODA wasn't linked to the weight gain, but the artificial SWEETENER was. The Purdue study was done with RATS. Rats aren't informed as to the calorie count of the food they're given and have no beliefs as the the number of calories consumed. Artificial sweeteners are associated with weight gain even when they are not told and cannot know the calorie content of what they're eating. http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v28/n7/full/0802660a.html
    Association and correlation isn't CAUSE. There's a difference.

IDEA Fitness member
  • FitLink
    Options
    Ok, so what are some substitutes?? I drink a coffee in the morning, water through out the day, and the DC on my way home....and that krystal lite and stuf like that has sugar and carbs and such. I like a little boost of caffine at the end of the day so I can get my work done at home.
    So do ya have any suggestions??

Crystal Light has no sugar and no carbs. But it's the artificial sweeteners in diet sodas and Crystal Light etc that cause problems. Assuming you don't have sleep problems (most people will have problems sleeping if they get caffeine in the afternoon on the way home from work) why not get your caffeine from coffee or tea?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The only problem is see here is you're drinking Diet Coke.

You should be drinking Diet Pepsi.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • FitLink
    Options
    One of my professors a few years ago did a experiment on this. He found that those who had diet soda vs. regular soda would eat more.
    But none of the studies showed that is was the diet soda that caused more eating. Psychologically if someone thought they were ingesting less calories they could eat more. That's just common sense.

IDEA Fitness member

You are correct that the SODA wasn't linked to the weight gain, but the artificial SWEETENER was. The Purdue study was done with RATS. Rats aren't informed as to the calorie count of the food they're given and have no beliefs as the the number of calories consumed. Artificial sweeteners are associated with weight gain even when they are not told and cannot know the calorie content of what they're eating. http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v28/n7/full/0802660a.html

IDEA Fitness member

Correlation isn't causation, which is why the study was CONTROLLED and peer-reviewed. Did you read the study? Because it was a controlled study published in an established journal.
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Options
    Ok, so what are some substitutes?? I drink a coffee in the morning, water through out the day, and the DC on my way home....and that krystal lite and stuf like that has sugar and carbs and such. I like a little boost of caffine at the end of the day so I can get my work done at home.
    So do ya have any suggestions??

Iced tea sweetened with a little honey or unsweetened to avoid the sugar or hot tea. Make it green tea and get the antioxidant boost while you're at it.
  • FitLink
    Options
    Yes it will.

Carbonated drinks (all of them, includes sparkling water, etc.) will turn the PH balance in your body to Acid. Which means, it's more difficult for your body to lose weight (courtesy of my Homeopathic Doctor)
    Lol, you do realize that the stomach has hydrochloric acid in it and everything we eat goes through there right? Bet your homeopathic doc won't figure that one out.
    Aspartame & other artificial sweeteners are also cancer-causing, and rot your teeth enamel and cause cavities as well.
    No that would be sugar. Ask any dentist.

IDEA Fitness member

Here we agree. The FDA says that artificial sweeteners DO NOT cause cancer, and they plainly do not cause tooth decay. Carbonated beverages are acidic, but so are many foods we eat and are considered healthy, and acidic foods don't and can't "turn the PH balance in your body to Acid." Odd that this should come from a homeopathy practitioner since the "Law of Similars" would imply the opposite; but hey, they pretty much make it up as they go.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Correlation isn't causation, which is why the study was CONTROLLED and peer-reviewed. Did you read the study? Because it was a controlled study published in an established journal.
    From a quick read (I'll delve into it more intently later) I read that the SWEETNESS of foods may be the cause. So that could mean even just any sweet tasting item including foods with natural sugar. Again I'll take more time to read the whole study when it's "quieter" in my house. Thanks for the link.

IDEA Fitness member
  • FitLink
    Options
    I'm sorry but y'all are crazy... Aspartame is terrible for you. It's a toxic chemical.

Their are alot of things when taken too much of it is toxic, water can be toxic also if you drink too much of it water intoxication, Anything in moderation I drink it aslo, probably too much but I am ok with it today.

There’s all this talk about aspartame and being cancerous, and toxic... No.

I worked for part of my microbiology study with aspartame. Aspartame DOES cause "upset stomach" in some people, as well as excess can cause diarrhea. That is because aspartame has the same taste as sugar, but fits into molecular structure differently. The body CANNOT USE this "sugar" so it expels it through our waste. Aspartame DOES like to attract water, which if there is excess aspartame molecules attracting and bonding to water in your digestive tract it will give you runnier stools.
    Aspartame DID cause issues with mice that we worked with, but that was due to them having DIFFERENT digestive processes then humans. Aspartame has no proven medical toxicity.

Otherwise, don’t eat a TON of aspartame, unless you have an iron stomach, or you might feel like your stomach is gurgling, and then looser stools.
    Other than that...

I’m not saying that i know this as law, but I worked with it and did extensive tests on human, and animal for months with Scientists that had their Doctorates. I believe them over people who read dumb media "facts".

Diet soda is fine.
    I drink it all the time.

I think you are confusing aspartame with the sugar alcohols like sorbitol, mannitol, or xylitol.
  • FitLink
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

From a quick read (I'll delve into it more intently later) I read that the SWEETNESS of foods may be the cause. So that could mean even just any sweet tasting item including foods with natural sugar. Again I'll take more time to read the whole study when it's "quieter" in my house. Thanks for the link.

IDEA Fitness member

It is saying that sweetness without calories is the problem. But my point was and is, you didn't read the peer-reviewed research before dismissing it, because, just like the people you have disagreed with, you don't really base your opinions on the actual peer-reviewed evidence you demand.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Some say that artificial sweeteners trick your body into releasing insulin. When insulin is running through your veins (about 3 hours after a high glycemic meal) your body only burns sugar as energy and can't burn fat. So, I'm staying away from sweeteners, including diet sodas. Plus, I have a hard time staying asleep after a day that I've had a diet soda. Gave them up in January. If nothing else, I'm savin $2-5/day

Says who, exactly? There are studies which show the artificial sweeteners in diet sodas have no effect at all on insulin levels. As for the trouble sleeping part - caffeine?

I stand corrected, perhaps a victim of yet another one of those rumors perpetuated by the news. It's mentioned all over the internet, but seems the studies are quite inconclusive. I still wil stay away from the diet sodas simply because I'd rather get something good when I drink...which these days is mostly green tea, water and sometimes kombucha. Love that drink, it's a nice alternative to something carbonated while still being tasty, tangy, bubbly and has probiotics in it. (Though lately I've been off kombucha simply for the the fact that I'm really watching my sugar intake) I'll have it again when I get some more weight off!