Words or phrases that should be banned

Options

Replies

• turbophoenix
    Options
    I hate it when people say things like "no offense," "don't take this the wrong way," or "now don't get mad." It almost always means they have something offensive to say!

Not to mention I can't guarantee whether I will get mad or not until I know what you're going to say!
  • Azzne
    Azzne Posts: 17
    Options
    I despise the phrase "Consequences of your actions..."
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    What does smh mean? I see that often.

it means "shake my head"

ps i also hate when people is the wrong tense of words-- is/are (thinking of plurals)

Oh! I have seen "smh" so many times on threads, and I thought I'd figured it out to mean "so much hate!" :blushing:
  • springseternal
    springseternal Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    "calm down."

Only because chances are the person telling me I need to calm down is the person who pissed me off in the first place.
  • jazzkat68
    jazzkat68 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on "it is what it is" I am also sick of "at the end of the day...."!

Lol! I have a supervisor that says both of those phrases!! LOL! We make fun of him, of course!
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    "calm down."

Only because chances are the person telling me I need to calm down is the person who pissed me off in the first place.

:laugh: so true
  • TheMerryPup
    TheMerryPup Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    'young' as in, "I'm 53 years young!" Putting 'young' after my age doesn't make my OLD *kitten* any YOUNGer!!:bigsmile:
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    1) "Starvation mode" Huh?

2) "Exercise calories" As opposed to...?
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    "My bad."
    This sentence drives me insane, especially when used more than once in a small amount of time.

I agree.
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    "busted" in place of broken. I teach and whenever a kid says that something is busted I have a mini fit.

"The thing of it is" My mom uses it ALL THE TIME and it's like nails on a chalkboard.
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    - "Like" - When used after every 3rd word or so in a conversation. i.e.: Like, you know, I was thinking of working out, like really hard.
    - "Seriously?"
    - I may get hate posts for this, but it is weird to me when men over 30 use "bro" or "dude" when talking to each other.

And at work, these make me cringe:
    - "Blue ocean ideas"
    - "Let's create synergy"
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    "What not" and "what have you." One of my sisters uses these phrases. I can't stand them!

I really can't stand it when a newscaster uses the phrases "white stuff" and/or "wet stuff" when describing weather. It's like fingernails across a chalkboard to me!
  • lissymae11
    Options
    YOLO. Also, retarded (even if you don't mean it in a hurtful way, it hurts people)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    "Chillax" - No clue as to why, but it just really gets on my nerves when people say that.

Using the word "brought" instead of "bought"
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Oh come on......alot of these words and phrases are appropriately used depending upon the situation, lighten up a bit.
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    "seen" instead of "saw" " As in: "We seen him get in his car."
    "supposeably" SUPPOSEDLY!
    " your" in place of "you're" in writing, same with "are" for "our"
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    "Real Talk"

:explode:
  • Amyding115
    Amyding115 Posts: 120
    Options
    Could care less

FFS its COULDN'T CARE LESS...COULD NOT CARE LESS....if you could care less it means you DO care...arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

This is like nails on chalkboard to me! I correct people on this all the time!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    "dueces" (what does that even mean? Nevermind, I don't want to know).

"irregardless" (though my spell check apparently thinks that IS a word)

"Whatever happens is meant to be" (really, how the hell do you know that... are you psychic or something?? If you are, just tell me the damn lottery numbers... I'm sure THAT is meant to be).

"get 'er done" (no comment needed)

"but you don't need to lose weight" (unless you've seen me naked, you have no idea)

"OMG"

"Seriously"

And I could go on... but I don't want to sound too bitter :-)
  • MMKE4ever
    MMKE4ever Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My husband will post a video or something on Facebook and his comment will be, "Fact". It annoys me!:grumble: