Words or phrases that should be banned

Options

Replies

• ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    24/7

It's not rocket science.

Just saying... (and then proceeding to be exceedingly rude -__-)

Relatively speaking.... (seriously do you think you sound intelligent by saying this???) "In theory, that makes relatively logical sense that I would be continuously perceived as severely unintelligent, relatively speaking."
  • unapologeticallyemma
    unapologeticallyemma Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    "just..."
    as in...

you JUST have to stop eating so much
    you JUST have to exercise
    JUST do it...

Yeah sure i'll JUST change my lifestyle that i've been living for 28 years...
    How about you JUST stfu.
  • unapologeticallyemma
    unapologeticallyemma Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    also Moist, Mucus, Phlegm, and Flesh
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    "My heart goes out to you."
    No, it doesn't, not in any way.

"Prayers go out to you."
    Aren't your prayers supposed to be addressed to someone/something else? Also, if you do pray, it's unlikely you will mention the person for whom you said you'd pray.

"Women" being used to describe only one woman. "I saw a women at the park yesterday."
    "Woman" = singular, "women" = plural

"Conversate"
    I will only converse with you if you don't say that we are "conversating".

"just a theory"
    I am sure you're trying to be clever, but you don't know the definition of "theory" if you think that this phrase actually means something powerful to anyone who actually does know the definition.

Using "loose" instead of "lose"
    You know that you meant to say "lose", and that you weren't being "poetic" in using "loose" in the "letting go, releasing" context. Just use "lose".

"The Bible says..."
    Yes, I am sure it does, but have you even read it? If you have then you should also know that it says a lot of awful things involving women, children, genocide, rape, homicide, animal sacrifice, violence, etc. Please don't reference this book as though it is a beacon of love, happiness, or respect.

"Lates"
    I am sure you meant to say, "see you later," or something similar to that.

Use of the majestic plural, e.g., one speaking only for oneself and saying something similar to "we'll see you later."
    You are only one person, and you're not speaking for a group. You should not be making yourself plural.

There are many others, but many of them have already been covered in this topic. :smile:

I have read the Bible - whole thing. I also understand it's divided into Old and New Testament, and why. I also understand that what was written in the Old Testament is reflective of what happened then, but that the New Testament replaces the Law of Moses in the Old. I also know the New is about love, happiness and respect, but most choose to ignore it.
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I cannot wait until referring to someone as a "*kitten*" runs it's course.
    I hate that with a passion.

Also, "Epic." Even more so when used as "Epic Fail." The only epic fail was the use of that term.

I had not noticed how common "*kitten*" and "epic" had become (maybe I'm too old??) until I met my personal trainer. He's great, but he's 22 and these words come out of his mouth at least twice during every session. Also, not that the word should be banned, but when I'm able to lift a heavier weight than he expected (or do an extra set), he calls me a "tank". He says it in a way that is meant to be motivating / a compliment, but as a woman, I'd prefer being compared to something else than a metal box with guns that weighs more than a ton. :)
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm only safe if I don't try to help or motivate folks. :wink:
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Could care less

FFS its COULDN'T CARE LESS...COULD NOT CARE LESS....if you could care less it means you DO care...arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

LOL Yes.

And Vica Versa. The number of people, who should know better, I hear say that......
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    "I've got goosies!" Hearing Jennifer say that on American idol, so annoying! It's goosebumps, saying "goosies" makes ya sound like a 3 year old!
  • RockinHorseRanch
    Options
    Great burn! to me a burn is never great, also, whoot whoot, that makes me want to puke puke.
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    moist

So what word would you prefer when the cake is nice and, um...not dry?

nice and not dry :bigsmile:
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    In the office I hate these "buzz words"/phrases that get used all the time:

-mutually beneficial (this phrase is in almost every single work email I get)
    -we don't need to reinvent the wheel
    -it's the low hanging fruit
    -initiatives
    -objectives
    -collaborative
    -it would be valuable to...

I guess I'm not a "team player" haha.
  • JimandLin
    JimandLin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Due to the fact.
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    I have read the Bible - whole thing. I also understand it's divided into Old and New Testament, and why. I also understand that what was written in the Old Testament is reflective of what happened then, but that the New Testament replaces the Law of Moses in the Old. I also know the New is about love, happiness and respect, but most choose to ignore it.

I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a religious debate, but I feel I have to respond to the idea that the New Testament is about love, happiness, and respect. It is a lot more "calm" than the Old Testament, but it's still pretty bad. We can find a great anti-family verse in Matthew 19 where Jesus says that "every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life." That's a love-filled, happy, respectful idea.

In Mark 5 Jesus decides to send "unclean spirits" into 2,000 pigs and forces them to drown in the sea. That's pretty love-filled, happy, and respectful. Luke 12 tells us to fear God because he has the power to commit us to eternal misery. But God loves you. John 3 makes it clear that it really doesn't matter what kind of life you live, but that your afterlife is determined only by your belief. Non-believers will be tortured, and believers will be be eternally happy. That's definitely loving, happy, and respectful.

In Acts 5 God kills Sapphira and her husband for withholding money from him. Loving? This is another good indication of God's "mob boss" mentality. God is basically a very bad man holding a gun to your head saying "believe in me and give me everything or I will pull the trigger." happy?

There are numerous other examples of very unloving, unhappy, disrespectful verses in the New Testament, but I'll leave it at this for now. If you'd like to know the rest please message me so that we don't hijack this topic. :flowerforyou:
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    "Don't worry, it will get better."

What it sounds like: "Just sit there and wait and do absolutely nothing and have some more ice cream and don't change anything at all and all the bad things will magically disappear."
  • chasingbabes
    Options

I especially hate it when any body prefaces a statement by saying " I don't mean to sound rude but" or "I don't mean to be mean but"

Then don't say it. You are being a douche, by saying you are not trying to be a douche does in no way remove you from the fact that you are in fact a wet douche.

^^THIS^^

and "should you be eating that?" or "you should be eating...(insert anything I'm not eating) here."
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options

There are numerous other examples of very unloving, unhappy, disrespectful verses in the New Testament, but I'll leave it at this for now. If you'd like to know the rest please message me so that we don't hijack this topic. :flowerforyou:

LOL In other words, 'I get to have the last say and if the thread gets closed down it's not my fault'.

Aha there's another one 'famous last word'.
  • RockinHorseRanch
    Options

I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a religious debate, but I feel I have to respond to the idea that the New Testament is about love, happiness, and respect. It is a lot more "calm" than the Old Testament, but it's still pretty bad. We can find a great anti-family verse in Matthew 19 where Jesus says that "every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life." That's a love-filled, happy, respectful idea.

In Mark 5 Jesus decides to send "unclean spirits" into 2,000 pigs and forces them to drown in the sea. That's pretty love-filled, happy, and respectful. Luke 12 tells us to fear God because he has the power to commit us to eternal misery. But God loves you. John 3 makes it clear that it really doesn't matter what kind of life you live, but that your afterlife is determined only by your belief. Non-believers will be tortured, and believers will be be eternally happy. That's definitely loving, happy, and respectful.

In Acts 5 God kills Sapphira and her husband for withholding money from him. Loving? This is another good indication of God's "mob boss" mentality. God is basically a very bad man holding a gun to your head saying "believe in me and give me everything or I will pull the trigger." happy?

God is God, he created heaven and earth, breathed life into a pile of clay, we, as humans cannot possibly understand his thoughts and ways, we understand biblical times as looking thru dark glass or muddy water, but we should understand enough to be saved, a good place to start is Act's 2:38.
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Also HATE 'Literally'

'impactful' & 'impacted' & 'impact'~constantly used incorrectly by the press.

Hate word salad~when nonsense filler words are inserted~ 'You Know' & 'So to say'

'what's on your plate?'

' Let's make sure we're on the same page.'
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    "No problem" - especially if you are at a store or restaurant and thank the salesperson/waiter after you purchase/have eaten your food. You say thank you and they say no problem. Makes me cringe- even though cringe isn't one of my favorite words either. ha

It just makes the person seem uneducated or untrained. You should thank the customer, not "no problem" them.
  • erinserin
    erinserin Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    'Could Care Less' instead of 'couldn't care less' - cant people hear that it doesnt make sense when they say it???!!!