Words or phrases that should be banned

Options

Replies

• julianne50
    Options
    gee where do i start??? LOL to begin with, drives me nuts....
    also 'MY BAD' , i hate this expression.....i'm 52 years old, makes me sound stupid using that expression!
    I agree with villene79 the word "like" used often enough just makes you sound stupid, and frustrates the hell out of me...
    let's face it, i 'm a word nazi,,,ask my kids,,,, so my list would be much too long for this blog, but here are a few more..
    sup, dude, 'that's amazing" referring to someones appearance is ridiculous, the letter K in a text message, pronounciating the T in often, not pronounciating the T in the middle of words like 'mittens, or sitting... alright i should stop now before i say too much.... julianne
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Y'all
  • denisekh88
    Options
    Women who call their husbands "the hubs"...that drives me crazy...
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    moist
  • jenniferpowell1980
    jenniferpowell1980 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I hate it when my boss says, 'yurite mate' to me, its too...........blokey!
  • CarolinaButterfly
    Options
    On tv and radio news: "But first . . ."

Translation: "We know you're really interested in that story we keep teasing you with, but we're gonna string you along with this other story first."

this one gets me too
  • VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Nom, nommy or any other stupid baby talk word that refers to something tasting good...sooo annoying!!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    moist

So what word would you prefer when the cake is nice and, um...not dry?
  • JimandLin
    JimandLin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I hate when the weatherman says its going to be STICKY....
    This UM stuff has got to go away UM UM UM.....
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    "My heart goes out to you."
    No, it doesn't, not in any way.

"Prayers go out to you."
    Aren't your prayers supposed to be addressed to someone/something else? Also, if you do pray, it's unlikely you will mention the person for whom you said you'd pray.

"Women" being used to describe only one woman. "I saw a women at the park yesterday."
    "Woman" = singular, "women" = plural

"Conversate"
    I will only converse with you if you don't say that we are "conversating".

"just a theory"
    I am sure you're trying to be clever, but you don't know the definition of "theory" if you think that this phrase actually means something powerful to anyone who actually does know the definition.

Using "loose" instead of "lose"
    You know that you meant to say "lose", and that you weren't being "poetic" in using "loose" in the "letting go, releasing" context. Just use "lose".

"The Bible says..."
    Yes, I am sure it does, but have you even read it? If you have then you should also know that it says a lot of awful things involving women, children, genocide, rape, homicide, animal sacrifice, violence, etc. Please don't reference this book as though it is a beacon of love, happiness, or respect.

"Lates"
    I am sure you meant to say, "see you later," or something similar to that.

Use of the majestic plural, e.g., one speaking only for oneself and saying something similar to "we'll see you later."
    You are only one person, and you're not speaking for a group. You should not be making yourself plural.

There are many others, but many of them have already been covered in this topic. :smile:
  • Arrica
    Arrica Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I hate text talk. Text me in normal words and sentences WITH punctuation please!! It also drives me crazy when people mix up similar sounding words with different meanings. For example "I except that you don't like this." It's ACCEPT people!!! Grrrrr
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I cannot wait until referring to someone as a "*kitten*" runs it's course.
    I hate that with a passion.

Also, "Epic." Even more so when used as "Epic Fail." The only epic fail was the use of that term.
  • DeniseMCronin
    DeniseMCronin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Totes - totally is a bad enough way to agree with somebody but totes drives me nuts
    Delish
    Gorge
    That's a bit Irish - yup cos we're Irish ppl in Ireland!!!!
  • iCACTUS
    iCACTUS Posts: 113
    Options
    Well, damn... if people stopped using all the words posted in this thread we'd all just end up standing around, silent, not talking at at all.

It seems like I'd annoy a whole lot of you seeing as I have used most of these words/phrases at one point or another.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    "Think outside of the box."

Have you ever noticed that if someone says, "I don't mean to offend you, but..." they go on to say something completely offensive? Does this phrase provide the person with a verbal 'get out of jail free' card?
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be rude, but.....

*insert something rude here*

:noway:
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Have you ever noticed that if someone says, "I don't mean to offend you, but..." they go on to say something completely offensive? Does this phrase provide the person with a verbal 'get out of jail free' card?

Ahahahaha you already said this one. Awesome.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    "I can't loose weight" You LOSE weight, your pants are too LOOSE. Drives me nuts!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Preggers

Hubby

worst of all: Six of one, half a dozen of the other.