Marilyn Monroe.

Options
What's with every girl who is slightly 'bigger' comparing her body to Marilyn Monroe's?
I could say many rude comments but the gist of it: f the women that compare their body to her, 99.9 are built nothing like her.
And pant sizes were MUCH smaller then they are currently. A 1950's 16dress size would be the equivalent of a modern day size 12 or even as small as a size 8!

Educate yourself: http://www.lovingmarilyn.com/beauty.html

that is all.

Replies

• lyssamichelle
    lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard a single person do that, it's just silly!
  • lolamariem
    Options
    I haven't heard a single person do that, it's just silly!

Most women, in my experience, when referring to her say thigns such as 'she had love handles too', 'her thighs rubbed together'... It's just like SO WHAT. that was her, you aren't her. Just because it looked good on her does not mean it will look attractive on you.

sorry for my ranting!
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    okie dokie...thx for the info
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Why care who someone want's to compare themselves to? If someone wants to compair themselves to a beautiful women GO THEM for having such confidence.
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I think that some people realize that she had beauty and curves and that may be something they are striving towards. I feel better knowing that they want to achieve her body moreso than a stick person.

rant
    But it sounds like this bothers you as bad as when I see severely overweight women talk themselves into saying they are

"thick"

I was overweight but I didn't hide behind the word "thick"

:grumble:

/rant

:flowerforyou:
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    haha I know, I am so over it. They say she was a size 12....well 1956's size 12 was a hell of a lot smaller than today's size 12! But anyways, Marilyn is a sex/beauty icon and if people feel good looking up to her and her curvaceous body well, then....great! But justifying being overweight with Marilyn is just goofy
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    She wasn't even close to a modern size 12. More like a 6 TOPS. Look at her playboy spread. No size i16 looks like that naked! Vanity sizing has decieved all women. Its a shame really.
  • lyssamichelle
    Options
    rant
    Almost as bad as when severely overweight women talk themselves into saying they are

"thick"

/rant

Hahah, I'm still overweight & I'm a lot more than thick. I can't stand when people say that. That doesn't make you any more confident. It just sound better than being overweight. Don't hide fact.
  • lolamariem
    Options
    Wow you are rude and why do you care who someone want's to compare themselves to? If someone wants to compair themselves to a beautiful women GO THEM for having such confidence. Why don't you try minding your own business?

So should we go comparing are bodies?
    No need for the attitude.
    You are also completely missing the point I was trying to make.
    I actually mostly stated facts, sorry if I was unclear. And it's not a matter of anyones business.
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    rant
    Almost as bad as when severely overweight women talk themselves into saying they are

"thick"

/rant

Hahah, I'm still overweight & I'm a lot more than thick. I can't stand when people say that. That doesn't make you any more confident. It just sound better than being overweight. Don't hide fact.

Girl, me too! I can admit that I am still overweight but I think that saying they are "thick" just is them trying to mask what is really going on. :indifferent:
  • lolamariem
    Options
    I am also trying to say: why is Marilyn Monroe considered 'plus size' too many.
    Have we really distorted are view that a size 6/8 is viewed as 'thick and big'.
    She was tiny!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    She was small, but still, she was curvy.

I think that's the reason a lot of women mention her. I mean I love Audrey Hepburn, but she was THIN (a frame i wish i had) and yet she was not considered a "sexpot" like Marilyn was. I think that's the part that women are drawn too. That she was curvy (though small) but men were drawn to her shape (and her flirtatious ways).

I do however think its kind of rude for you to put women down because you don't agree with them. If someone feels like they are similar to Marilyn, let them. Who is it hurting?
  • lyssamichelle
    Options
    rant

"thick"

/rant

Girl, me too! I can admit that I am still overweight but I think that saying they are "thick" just is them trying to mask what is really going on. :indifferent:

The way I see "thick" is it's when someone's at a healthy size for there body, but due to body shape it appears like they have more meat on their bones, when really.. not so much.
    I feel like if you're overweight you should be admitting it to yourself & trying to work until you're finally healthy. Not that anyone listens. They'd rather justify it.

Marilyn was anything BUT plus sized. The fact anyone would say that is ridiculous... The media is ruining the way people see things. ):
  • lolamariem
    Options
    She was small, but still, she was curvy.

I think that's the reason a lot of women mention her. I mean I love Audrey Hepburn, but she was THIN (a frame i wish i had) and yet she was not considered a "sexpot" like Marilyn was. I think that's the part that women are drawn too. That she was curvy (though small) but men were drawn to her shape (and her flirtatious ways).

I do however think its kind of rude for you to put women down because you don't agree with them. If someone feels like they are similar to Marilyn, let them. Who is it hurting?

I'm not putting women down.
    ugh. I should have listened to my gut; this is WAY too much of a sensitive issue for most to view objectively.
    sorry if I have offended you.

When a friend of mine who is unhealthy and unfit says she can go to mcdonalds and taco bell every week and it's okay because Marilyn Monroe was a size 14! I think it's a horrid excuse to keep unhealthy habits. I'm not saying it's bad they feel good about themselves because of her.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. I have heard overweight women so many times compare their themselves to Marilyn Monroe because of the size she wore during that time and it is really misguided. Yes Marilyn Monroe had a very nice healthy body but some women tend to use Marilyn Monroe's dress/pant size to justify themselves as if its okay to be overweight or that being overweight is attractive. Its delusional.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I guess I'm just not seeing the rudeness of which you and another poster speak. OP stated an opinion, in a fairly reasonable manner.
  • lolamariem
    Options
    I agree with the OP. I have heard overweight women so many times compare their themselves to Marilyn Monroe because of the size she wore during that time and it is really misguided. Yes Marilyn Monroe had a very nice healthy body but some women tend to use Marilyn Monroe's dress/pant size to justify themselves as if its okay to be overweight or that being overweight is attractive. Its delusional.

^^^^ This is the point I was trying to make^^^^^
    (for those who still don't get the picture, replace Marilyn Monroe with someone built like Miranda Kerr, and replace the word overweight with 'underweight')
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    According to measurements from Marilyn Monroe's dressmaker:
    Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D

Not even close to plus size, even at her biggest. Mystery solved... lol
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    I'm so not a Marilyn Fan. Give me Bettie Page any day. (P.S. Page's hips were actually slightly wider than Marilyn's.)
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out, we are on here to better ourselves, not judge people: at least I thought that was the point. If you want to have an open discussion about a sensitive issue, social grace helps.

Size 12 today isn't nessasarily obese, and size 8 dosent make you thin. Rude is rude, no matter how you paint it.

You are posting on a sight full of ladies of all shapes and sizes and supporting eachother should be a goal not telling people what they should think of their bodys.