According to measurements from Marilyn Monroe's dressmaker:
    Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D

Not even close to plus size, even at her biggest. Mystery solved... lol

One thing makes me question the accuracy of this entire size quote. You say the dressmaker says she had a 35-37 inch bust, but you also say she wore a 36D bra. A 36D bra would mean a chest (underbust) measurment of 36 inches, plus an additional 4 inches for her breasts. That would mean her actual bust size would be at least 40, not 35-37. Given that, perhaps the other measurements were also 'reduced'?

eta: This is coming from a 5'1" woman whose actual measurements are 37-24-35, and I KNOW I don't look anything like Marilyn!
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    marilyn-monroe-body_2.jpg

premieretheresnobusinesslikeshowbusiness.jpg
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that top picture proves my point.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    She was a very beautifull woman,but she was also a drug addict,and slept with married men.Was full of insecurites that she let destroy her. I dont understand the continuing obsession with her. And for that matter that one picture of her in the white bathing suit is the one that gets thrown around by the real woman have curves group,but there are man many more pictures of her that match the messurements that are out there

Marilyn-Monroe-7.jpg
    mm.jpg
    monroe.jpg
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    D cup? Not in those pics...
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Aw.. just couldn't stand women trying to find a way to feel good about themselves, could ya?
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I dont idolize her for her size.

I idolize her for her ability to party. That chick was a bada$$!!!! I mean, she could get whatever drugs she wanted, could get whatever man she wanted......... Come on! who WOULDNT want to be like Marilyn?!?!?!?!?

I really compare myself to Victoria Beckham....... without the super hot husband.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    If I though I looked like her in the white suit pic, I would be working on losing more weight. I'm not a fan of Marilyn anyway. She was too cartoonish.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I use the term thick.

I am thick. I work out 6 days a week, teach Zumba and attempt to eat as healthy as possible. There are certain areas of my body that will NEVER be small. All the working out and eating right in the world will not remove the layer of fat or "thickness" as I like to call it from these hips. But I don't use the word to "hide" from being overweight.

:flowerforyou:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    To each their own. Why are you worried about what someone says or does? Why does it concern you how people perceive themselves or how they go about developing their confidence? You should really stop and ask yourself these things because focusing on others means you are not focusing on yourself. And I am willing to bet you have more than one area that could stand improvement.

Peace, love, and blessings!:flowerforyou:
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I occasionally compare myself to Jabba the Hutt. I mean, he had slave girls chained to his bed, so I figure it's alright for me, right?
  • lolamariem
    Options
    Aw.. just couldn't stand women trying to find a way to feel good about themselves, could ya?

*sigh*
    not the point.
  • lolamariem
    Options
    To each their own. Why are you worried about what someone says or does? Why does it concern you how people perceive themselves or how they go about developing their confidence? You should really stop and ask yourself these things because focusing on others means you are not focusing on yourself. And I am willing to bet you have more than one area that could stand improvement.

Because it effects society.

Of course I do, one reason I am on this site. Both physically and personality wise.
  • lolamariem
    Options
    According to measurements from Marilyn Monroe's dressmaker:
    Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D

Not even close to plus size, even at her biggest. Mystery solved... lol

One thing makes me question the accuracy of this entire size quote. You say the dressmaker says she had a 35-37 inch bust, but you also say she wore a 36D bra. A 36D bra would mean a chest (underbust) measurment of 36 inches, plus an additional 4 inches for her breasts. That would mean her actual bust size would be at least 40, not 35-37. Given that, perhaps the other measurements were also 'reduced'?

eta: This is coming from a 5'1" woman whose actual measurements are 37-24-35, and I KNOW I don't look anything like Marilyn!

Her weight went shifted between 115-140lbs.
    So maybe those measurements were taken when she was smaller?
  • lolamariem
    Options
    I just want to point out, we are on here to better ourselves, not judge people: at least I thought that was the point. If you want to have an open discussion about a sensitive issue, social grace helps.

Size 12 today isn't nessasarily obese, and size 8 dosent make you thin. Rude is rude, no matter how you paint it.

You are posting on a sight full of ladies of all shapes and sizes and supporting eachother should be a goal not telling people what they should think of their bodys.

I'm not directly addressing anyone. And for the record: most human don't have a realistic view of their bodies on here, especially when they aim for a specific body. You can use a certain body for motivation but you should strive to look exactly like another person.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Because it effects society.

Of course I do, one reason I am on this site. Both physically and personality wise.

How exactly does it affect society for someone to compare themselves to another? If you are saying that society is justifying being fat, yes, this is true. But you can't make people change unless they want to. Why hold on to negative energy about what others do when you could be putting positive energy towards not being a part of the problem?
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    According to her measurements, she would be 6/7 in today's pants.

Not big or small.

In the middle :)
  • MissAlexxMarie
    Options
    She was the same size I am! But she was beautiful and carried it well who cares -___- if someone is 200 pounds and say they're "thick" well be thick in your mind cuz it makes your day better.

Don't rain on anybodies parade lol :drinker:

I think I'm thick :happy: hahah
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    She was a freaking ICON is why. Many different women (nothing to do with size) compare themselves to her because of her confidence and realness.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Cool story bro