Breakfast - a waste of calories?

Options

Replies

• MariaAlbina
    MariaAlbina Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    When I started working my job at 1'oclock I slept in until noon so I would skip breakfast, have lunch at 2 and then dinner at 6 and I ended up losing 12lbs in about 5 months not even trying. Probably why they would say sleep helps you lose weight. ahaha But I still would buy a candy bar between then when bored at work so I'm not sure how that happened. Wish I could do that again, but I just started buying these Jimmy Dean egg white breakfast sandwiches and they're sooo good. haha
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I used to skip breakfast everyday...

UNTIL I learned that your metabolism doesn't start revving up to full speed until you eat something!!!!! If you don't like a big breakfast, then just eat something small (banana, handful of grapes, a slice of toast) so that your body start burning calories. I'm STARVING every morning now when I get up @5:30am and can't wait to get some coffee and food into me :laugh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Breakfast isn't a necessity. Health 'experts' say that it's the most important meal, and there's the whole myth about breakfast skippers being fatter, but that's simply because most people that don't eat breakfast tend to pig out and eat more throughout the rest of the day.
    I dont think it's a case of tending to pig out through the day, I think it's a case of skipping meals and therefore slowing your metabolism, making it much more difficult to lose weight.

As a recovering eating disorder sufferer, it blows my mind to see people on here encourage others to fast. I'm sorry, but no-one will ever be able to tell me fasting in any way, shape or form is good for them. That will never wash with me. As Morgan said, you cant run a car with no fuel, so how can you expect to run your body with no food?

For me personally, I workout on a morning so breakfast is very important even if Im not hungry. I cant workout without something in my system, I really lag badly. BUT if you don't want to eat it, it's a personal choice and so long as your cal intake is spot on throughout the day, all well and good x
    I REALLY hate the "you don't run your car on empty," arguments against intermittent fasting. I don't run my car on my empty. I also don't have to fill my car every morning before I turn it on because it is perfectly capable of storing fuel. 5 gallons of fuel will run my car the same amount of distance, whether I put all 5 gallons in at once, or whether I fill it a gallon at a time. The human body operates the same way. It will run just fine, whether you decide to eat 5 small meals a day, or 1 large meal a day, if you eat the same number of calories either way, your body operates the exact same way.

If it "kickstarts" the metabolism and is so vital to human survival, then why is it that people have only been eating breakfast since the late 1700's? Breakfast, and eating multiple meals, is a modern thing, it's not a necessary thing at all, from a health standpoint.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry then don't eat. Simple.

It doesn't kickstart the metabolism. Your metabolism runs 24/7. Waking up ravenous means your body is relying too much on sugar for fuel (can't get that immediate fuel every two hours when sleeping).

I don't get hungry until around 11am and sometimes later. Sometimes I might feel a little hunger but will just enjoy that feeling - I truly enjoy the feeling of an empty stomach.

The feeling of hunger should be a nice feeling not an "I'VE GOT TO GET FOOD IN ME NOW!!" kind of feeling. And if you don't eat then the feeling of hunger should dissipate. That is the normal reaction.

If our primitive ancestors had to rely on eating every couple of hours to keep their metabolism going and their energy up then our species would have died out a long time ago. And since our primitive ancestors spent the DAYTIME hunting and gathering the biggest meal was likely in the evening. I doubt they made sure to "eat upon waking up to give the metabolism a boost."

I track my metabolism and it will go up if I eat a lot the day before. If I don't then it goes down a bit the next day. But my body is fat adapted. It has no use for the amount of glucose that the Standard American Diet provides.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am not a breakfast fan except on the weekends when I eat it at brunch time after sleeping in. I'm just not hungry at 7am when I get up and I am still not hungry at 8am when I get to work. But I force myself to eat a bowl of oatmeal before 9am. It's only 100 calories for the plain instant oatmeal. I add a half packet of Equal and a sprinkle of cinnamon for flavor.

When I eat a good breakfast, I notice that it kickstarts my metabolism for the day. I tend to be more hungry during the day after I eat breakfast so I pack a before lunch snack and an after lunch snack. But I tend to eat a smaller lunch since I'm not famished when lunchtime rolls around. I remember reading that keeping your blood sugar regulated throughout the day is better for your metabolism and helps to prevent a crash later in the day.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I REALLY hate the "you don't run your car on empty," arguments against intermittent fasting. I don't run my car on my empty. I also don't have to fill my car every morning before I turn it on because it is perfectly capable of storing fuel. 5 gallons of fuel will run my car the same amount of distance, whether I put all 5 gallons in at once, or whether I fill it a gallon at a time. The human body operates the same way. It will run just fine, whether you decide to eat 5 small meals a day, or 1 large meal a day, if you eat the same number of calories either way, your body operates the exact same way.

If it "kickstarts" the metabolism and is so vital to human survival, then why is it that people have only been eating breakfast since the late 1700's? Breakfast, and eating multiple meals, is a modern thing, it's not a necessary thing at all, from a health standpoint.

^^^ This.

I have plenty of stored fuel without resorting to eating as soon as I get up. In fact I intermittent fast.
  • Mistakenly
    Options
    I don't know, I love breakfast. I like breakfast food because it's usually carbs/sweet, which is all I ever want to eat lol. Plus I'm always hungry when I wake up, even if I eat before bed.
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    I love cereal! Its as simple as that. lol. I would eat cereal all day if I could and if it was healthy to do so but I know its not there fore I enjoy the porriage or flakes or whatever I choose to have first thing in the morning :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have to have my oatmeal every morning. I'm not "hungry" at all, but I know I need it! I could easily go until 1 or 2 pm without eating, but being a diabetic, I have to balance my carbs throughout the day, and that means starting the day with something in my tummy!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find mymost health experts will tell you that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Then there is the idea that "If I am not hungry, I shouldn't eat." I have wondered which is it? I generally opt for the "If not hungry, don't eat" guideline.

I think it's important to look not just at the medical recommendation, but at the reasons for the recommendation. In this case, breakfast is recommended not because it makes you healthier, but because studies have found that most people who skip it tend to eat more later. That is "most people" not "all people". If you are not in the "most people" category and can stick to your calorie goals without breakfast then there is no reason to eat it if you aren't hungry.
  • MzTat2slim
    MzTat2slim Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I drink a hot tea, without milk or sugar and an english muffin with a little jam. That's only 150 calories and it raises my blood sugar level and the hot tea warms my belly. I feel it's only a few calories and it helps me to not be too greedy at lunch time.
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have never cared for breakfast. My grandmother use to worry about me but unless I have breakfast at 10am or after it makes me feel sick. I normally save my calories except for this past Sunday morning I woke up craving grapenuts so I ate them.
  • zionsmommii
    Options
    No matter what I do I can't help but feel like breakfast (for me!) is a waste of calories. I know some people enjoy it, but I am neither hungry nor do I enjoy eating breakfast. So I usually don't eat it and save those calories for later in the day.

Just wondering if there are other like minded folk who don't think much of breakfast and prefer to save their calories for later in the day?

Or if you are a big breakfast fan, what you like about it?

I am JUST LIKE YOU!!! I HATE breakfast and the only time I eat it is if I'm up to go somewhere and have no choice but to eat but normally I skip it and save it for the rest of the day so I can use the calories for foods I enjoy because breakfast is not one of those meals I enjoy!!! Glad there is somewhere in the world like me! LOL!
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I never wanted breakfast til I came to MFP. Then a combination of falling in love with oatmeal and I suppose always being a little bit hungry on a deficit meant that I definitely was hungry in the morning, and the heat of the oatmeal was as much of a comfort to me as coffee or a hot water bottle. Kept me awake long enough to avoid falling asleep again.

It's really up to how your body works. For most of my life it'd be an hour or two after waking before I even wanted to LOOK at food.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I love this!! I too hate the 'car on empty' argument. This is a great answer.

Besides, all I have to do is look at my thighs to know my car is never totally without fuel. :grumble:
  • alicepoppyh
    Options
    Breakfast makes me feel sick so I'm still in the process of trying to find something I can eat in the morning. A smoothie of some frozen yoghurt, a little low fat milk, a banana, a teaspoonful of honey and a small handful of porridge oats is one of the few things I will gladly have in the morning but it's such a hassle...

...but now that I mention it I think I'll have one tomorrow...
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast. It seems to help me eat less throughout the day and feel fuller. If I skip breakfast, I seem to eat a huge lunch! Then I feel like my stomach stretches vs eating three meals and at least two snacks.

I also feel more energetic when I eat breakfast. You can try eating non-breakfast food or something light. Yogurt, fruit, nuts.

Maybe I'm just used to eating breakfast.

I like Denise Austin's theory, "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen, and diner like a pauper." I like this because I am so active during the day and so I prefer my heavier meals first.

Everybody is different. My husband can eat one or two HUGE meals and never gain weight. When I eat like him, I gain weight. If I graze throughout the day, I loose weight. So I'm grazing. :-D
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've never been a breakfast eater and when I do eat it, I find myself feeling stuffed and uncomfortable throughout the day. I much prefer to skip breakfast and save those calories for later in the day when I'll actually enjoy them, rather than spending them on a meal I don't either want or enjoy just because you're supposed to eat breakfast.

Honestly, anytime I hear that skipping breakfast stalls your metabolism, I could just scream and pull my hair out. It does not! Skipping meals when you are actually hungry is wrong on so many levels, but I feel like consuming a meal you're not hungry for also goes against common sense.
  • BeebsAbs
    BeebsAbs Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i always eat breakfast

it kick starts your metabolism, the earlier you do it the better! if you eat it then you will start burning right away also!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I need to eat breakfast, but I've scaled it down to a very small breakfast (half a bagel with cream cheese). I find that it kick-starts me and gets me going for the day, and keeps me from being hungry. But I also bring in a lunch with a lot of little things, and I graze and nibble all day long.

If skipping brekkies works for you, then by all means do it.

Just make sure your fats, proteins, and carbs are in a good balance, but that's true whether you eat brekkies or not.