Breakfast - a waste of calories?

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Breakfast does 'kick start' your metabolism. It tells your body that it is not starving and it does not have to save every bit of energy it can- so your body will burn calories for fuel, not store them as fat. (That advice was given to me by a clinical nutrition prof. at the local university) I don't like breakfast myself, but I am now in the habit of grabbing a homemade healthy muffin or a mini yogurt after my morning routine, just before I leave for work. I can't face food as soon as I wake up! Good luck!

Have you read the thread? Any link to actual studies that show this......at all?
  • BeebsAbs
    BeebsAbs Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    lol just one more question

How did you help me?

Hopefully you came to the realization that you were wrong and will stop spreading nutritional myths. And maybe you learned that a random article on a random site does not prove anything.

do you have any proof that these are Myths?

You keep trying to shift the burden of proof, you've still yet to provide a single shred of evidence supporting your claim. That in and of itself should give you an idea that your claim is BS. So got any evidence yet?

*rolls eyes*
    after admitting i cant give proof on more then one occasion, also asking you to put your point across on the situation i walked away from this "debate"

As ive said on more then one occasion, everybody is differnet and different things work for different people

i'm trying really hard not to personally attack you, but you are being very awkward.

I CANT PROVE ANYTHING

so all i asked is for you to show what you believe in so i could change my mind abut the whole matter. I am open minded but still am yet to be shown anything AGAINST what i said.

But anyway they are my views and i dont care about what you have to say anymore
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

How did you help me?

Hopefully you came to the realization that you were wrong and will stop spreading nutritional myths. And maybe you learned that a random article on a random site does not prove anything.

You keep trying to shift the burden of proof, you've still yet to provide a single shred of evidence supporting your claim. That in and of itself should give you an idea that your claim is BS. So got any evidence yet?

*rolls eyes*
    after admitting i cant give proof on more then one occasion, also asking you to put your point across on the situation i walked away from this "debate"

As ive said on more then one occasion, everybody is differnet and different things work for different people

i'm trying really hard not to personally attack you, but you are being very awkward.

I CANT PROVE ANYTHING

so all i asked is for you to show what you believe in so i could change my mind abut the whole matter. I am open minded but still am yet to be shown anything AGAINST what i said.

2 questions then, why would you beleive in something that you can find zero evidence to support? And instead of evidence supporting your claim, just tell me by what mechanism would eating breakfast and eating every few hrs burn more calories then less frequent meals/no breakfast, holding calories constant?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    2 questions then, why would you beleive in something that you can find zero evidence to support?

Coughreligioncough. ;)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

How did you help me?

*rolls eyes*

I CANT PROVE ANYTHING

2 questions then, why would you beleive in something that you can find zero evidence to support? And instead of evidence supporting your claim, just tell me by what mechanism would eating breakfast and eating every few hrs burn more calories then less frequent meals/no breakfast, holding calories constant?

He's trying to help you Liam...he just won't give you the carrot until you take a few freakin steps on your own.

I gave you ESE. I gave you Leangains. Both are extremely well supported in terms of ducomentation (in the form of peer reviewed studies), listed at the end of each piece of literature.

What more do you want?

2 questions then, why would you beleive in something that you can find zero evidence to support?

Coughreligioncough. ;)

Brilliant way to get the thread closed. Your comment is totally unrelated, quite offensive to many, and honestly...completely uncalled for.

Thanks.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Coughreligioncough. ;)

Brilliant way to get the thread closed. Your comment is totally unrelated, quite offensive to many, and honestly...completely uncalled for.

Thanks.

I just read that and couldn't help myself! XD

Typing one word wont get the thread closed, chill out! It's hardly a discussion about it is it.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Coughreligioncough. ;)

Thanks.

I just read that and couldn't help myself! XD

Typing one word wont get the thread closed, chill out! It's hardly a discussion about it is it.

Until some Linda (no offense to women who really have the name Linda, of course) gets her undies up her rear and reports it. Do you spend any time on these forums? Threads have been locked for people saying 'Oh God!'.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Breakfast does 'kick start' your metabolism. It tells your body that it is not starving and it does not have to save every bit of energy it can- so your body will burn calories for fuel, not store them as fat. (That advice was given to me by a clinical nutrition prof. at the local university) I don't like breakfast myself, but I am now in the habit of grabbing a homemade healthy muffin or a mini yogurt after my morning routine, just before I leave for work. I can't face food as soon as I wake up! Good luck!

This clinical nutrition professor should probably consider a new career if he is telling you that your body will store more fat if you don't eat breakfast.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I personally dont eat breakfast I used to be big on eating my breakfast and making sure I got my metabolism kick start for the day but since I started leangains I know its definitely not necessary if you dont want to eat it. As long as you hit your macros for the day and eat enough calories you should be fine. My metabolism is now twice as fast as what it used to be. www.leangains.com
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I personally dont eat breakfast I used to be big on eating my breakfast and making sure I got my metabolism kick start for the day but since I started leangains I know its definitely not necessary if you dont want to eat it. As long as you hit your macros for the day and eat enough calories you should be fine. www.leangains.com

ugh leangains >.<
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Each to their own leangains is working for me so im doing whats best for me, other things work better for other people so thats what they do.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I personally dont eat breakfast I used to be big on eating my breakfast and making sure I got my metabolism kick start for the day but since I started leangains I know its definitely not necessary if you dont want to eat it. As long as you hit your macros for the day and eat enough calories you should be fine. My metabolism is now twice as fast as what it used to be. www.leangains.com

Twice as fast.....wow!
  • monty619
    Options
    Each to their own leangains is working for me so im doing whats best for me, other things work better for other people so thats what they do.

the concept is correct, but leangains is an eating disorder waiting to happen..

eat breakfast people. simply because breakfast foods are the tastiest foods.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I personally dont eat breakfast I used to be big on eating my breakfast and making sure I got my metabolism kick start for the day but since I started leangains I know its definitely not necessary if you dont want to eat it. As long as you hit your macros for the day and eat enough calories you should be fine. www.leangains.com

ugh leangains >.<

Nothing wrong with leangains bro. It works.
  • HonkyTonks
    Options

LOL - seriously? An eating disorder waiting to happen?
  • monty619
    Options

yes its intermittant fasting, basically developing a concept that you cant eat for certain types of the day and when you stop working out consistently you might hold the same concept... its a constant starving and binging technique that only promotes eating disorders.. not saying that people cant do it without success because it is the end macros that dictate success... but ive known people who do it and if you have to count down the minutes before you get to binge on food, its not a healthy lifestyle. period.

not to mention its very impractical.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I do not do IF, but I cannot understand how it is an eating disorder waiting to happen - that is just way out there

Also, I like breakfast foods which is why I eat them for dinner.
  • HonkyTonks
    Options

yes its intermittant fasting, basically developing a concept that you cant eat for certain types of the day and when you stop working out consistently you might hold the same concept... its a constant starving and binging technique that only promotes eating disorders.. not saying that people cant do it without success because it is the end macros that dictate success... but ive known people who do it and if you have to count down the minutes before you get to binge on food, its not a healthy lifestyle. period.

Um, speak for yourself? Do you have any actual evidence to back your statement up?

I do Eat Stop Eat and it pretty much cured my binge eating disorder - so there is your theory out the window. When I finish a 24 hour fast, I have a small meal and that's it - I feel more full and satisfied with that small meal and resume normal eating the next day. Fact is, people were not meant to stuff their faces all day every day. Eating all day long is very much a recent thing for human civilisation. In hunter gatherer times, humans did not eat until they hunted and found food. There certainly wasn't a ready supply of food for people to eat for breakfast.

Maybe you should stick with what works for you, and let people eat in a way that feels comfortable and natural for them. If it doesn't feel comfortable, you're not going to stick with it forever.
  • monty619
    Options

Um, speak for yourself? Do you have any actual evidence to back your statement up?

I do Eat Stop Eat and it pretty much cured my binge eating disorder - so there is your theory out the window. When I finish a 24 hour fast, I have a small meal and that's it - I feel more full and satisfied with that small meal and resume normal eating the next day. Fact is, people were not meant to stuff their faces all day every day. Eating all day long is very much a recent thing for human civilisation. In hunter gatherer times, humans did not eat until they hunted and found food. There certainly wasn't a ready supply of food for people to eat for breakfast.

Maybe you should stick with what works for you, and let people eat in a way that feels comfortable and natural for them. If it doesn't feel comfortable, you're not going to stick with it forever.

was your disorder bulimia?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

not to mention its very impractical.
    Self control. Some people who practice IF, like myself, actually have it. I'm in no danger of developing an eating disorder - I love my food, and at the same time eat it as a necessity rather than as a source of amusement.