Breakfast - a waste of calories?

Options

Replies

• BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I make a fruit smoothie in the morning, not because im hungry but because i feel better having something then having nothing at all and feeling even more hungry later on in the day.
    Also because is a fruit smoothie it always tends to put a smile on my face and it makes me feel relaxed
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I love breakfast..and everything about it. My breakfast is usually my largest meal of the day. I eat 6-7 times a day, so I'm usually eating agian about 2 hours later anyway. Le sigh....
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I can't function without breakfast. I often wake up hungry, and if I skip breakfast for whatever reason, I'm so hungry and tired by lunch that my willpower to eat right disappears.

That said, I don't eat a full spread each morning. Breakfast for me is juice or coffee with a bagel or maybe a bowl of oatmeal. I eat on the road, so yogurt is out. :)

That said, my Husband does much better if He doesn't eat much more than poptarts or toast in the morning. He eats every three hours, so a glass of Oj and poptarts works abfab for Him.
  • BeebsAbs
    BeebsAbs Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Point 1) I NEVER mentioned breakfast sustaining anything other then helping the metabolism get to a higher level in the morning

"The 'kick-start' is getting nutrition in early to help the metabolism fire up so its burns at a higher rate throughout the [WHOLE day not just the few hours after and like soaps said its great to have something to look forward to after a workout.

Point 2) You challenged a point of mine, in which i am admitting, has not proof that these points are true. BUT my sources are from names such as (namedropping again) Johns Collins, why would an institution as big as this lie to you?

Good, we're getting somewhere. Admitting you are unable to prove your claim, is the first step. Therefore what can we conclude from your statement that breakfast kick starts your metabolism and has it burn at "a higher rate throughout the WHOLE day"?
    Point 3) You agreed this was a debate, therefore (even though you said i was wrong) where was your evidence to prove that it is wrong? If i cant prove i'm right and you cant prove im wrong we are heading in circles are we not?

I will provide a rebuttal when/if you actual present legit evidence supporting your claim, burden of proof is still on you
    So all pissyness aside, you dont have anything to prove but if this is going to be ended then you need to show me something that will help me believe what your train of thought is.

You not being able to substantiate your claim has already ended it

I appreciate you breaking that down. I'll explain my words

the whole kick starts the WHOLE day quote......
    ok i didn't word this correctly. I'm sure you know what i meant. Metabolism start burning high, you keep it up by snaking throughout the day. Is what i meant. Satisfactory?

and you kinda being an *kitten* on the next bit. After holding my hands up and saying i cant support it with evidence that satisfies you, BUT you still will not put in your argument until i put mine in!
    I have attempted to do this. Have i not?
    So there is no more i can do about this. Even though all the stuff i have given you does say what im trying to put across. Whereas you knocking them all back is like a kid not playing with a toy because it wants the one that it cant have
    (you being the kid) (my evidence being the toys and then unreachable toy the thing i cant give you) so you are just crying about it until you get your way. Comprede?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ok i didn't word this correctly. I'm sure you know what i meant. Metabolism start burning high, you keep it up by snaking throughout the day. Is what i meant. Satisfactory?

Ah I do get that, now can you substantiate that increased meal frequency does boost metabolism, or this is made up as well?
    and you kinda being an *kitten* on the next bit. After holding my hands up and saying i cant support it with evidence that satisfies you, BUT you still will not put in your argument until i put mine in!

Your attempts have been poor and maybe you will actually learn what constitutes evidence. Links to various articles and websites don't really prove anything.
    Whereas you knocking them all back is like a kid not playing with a toy because it wants the one that it cant have
    (you being the kid) (my evidence being the toys and then unreachable toy the thing i cant give you) so you are just crying about it until you get your way. Comprede?

That would be a good analogy if you actually had presented a shred of evidence to support your argument, but you did not.
  • grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    Options
    I started making myself eat breakfast because it's supposed to be healthier for you than not eating it, and supposed to keep you from over eating the rest of the day. Unfortunately I think the opposite is true for me. I seem to become ravenouse when I eat it. I mean all day, can't feel full, always starving. When I didn't eat breakfast (at least until after 10 am) I would eat a late morning snack, a good sized lunch (soup and sandwich) a small dinner and usually no desire for dessert and/or junk food.

Maybe I'm just weird but next week I'm reverting back to my old habits. Most of my weight gain began with the addition of breakfast.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I can eat all day as soon as my feet hit the floor. I didn't tho....I would even skip lunch sometimes and pig out from dinner to bedtime. Now that I spread things out throughout the day starting with breakfast. I feel better....just me tho :smile:
  • BeebsAbs
    Options

Ah I do get that, now can you substantiate that increased meal frequency does boost metabolism, or this is made up as well?

Your attempts have been poor and maybe you will actually learn what constitutes evidence. Links to various articles and websites don't really prove anything.
    Whereas you knocking them all back is like a kid not playing with a toy because it wants the one that it cant have

That would be a good analogy if you actually had presented a shred of evidence to support your argument, but you did not.

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY IT!!!!

Jeez!

I'M PUTTING MY HANDS UP AND SAYING THAT I CANT SUPPORT THIS WITH ANYTHING GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOUR HIGH STANDARDS!!!

I'm starting to think you are one of the guys in the gym who strut around like they own the place and make fun of the people who don't lift as much as you. Basically a bully who uses ignorance as his defence because he has insecurities so big he has to take it out on others.

I tried to play nice, but you really are not helping. If you were actually worried about anyone other then yourself you would have attempted to help me out to show me the right direction, like cris did. He approached me and has given me material to read and ponder, while you with your macho attitude trying to make me look like an idiot.

Well thanks "Acg67" you have made my day quite enjoyable at how much of a d-bag people can be just because they think they can.
    Or did i just make that up aswell?
    Start treating others with respect, you might actually feel good about helping someone out rather then thinking your gods gift to humanity.

Rant over
  • Acg67
    Options

Jeez!

I'M PUTTING MY HANDS UP AND SAYING THAT I CANT SUPPORT THIS WITH ANYTHING GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOUR HIGH STANDARDS!!!

I'm starting to think you are one of the guys in the gym who strut around like they own the place and make fun of the people who don't lift as much as you. Basically a bully who uses ignorance as his defence because he has insecurities so big he has to take it out on others.

I tried to play nice, but you really are not helping. If you were actually worried about anyone other then yourself you would have attempted to help me out to show me the right direction, like cris did. He approached me and has given me material to read and ponder, while you with your macho attitude trying to make me look like an idiot.

Well thanks "Acg67" you have made my day quite enjoyable at how much of a d-bag people can be just because they think they can.
    Start treating others with respect, you might actually feel good about helping someone out rather then thinking your gods gift to humanity.

Rant over

a peer reviewed study is high standards? lol

and resorting to personal attacks? lollercoaster

I did help you, by now you should understand that you have a lot of learning to do and that random websites don't constitute evidence
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Jeez!

Rant over
    have-you-ever-been-so-angry-tackled-horse.jpg

Can we let the thread quietly die now?
  • BeebsAbs
    Options
    lol just one more question

How did you help me?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

How did you help me?

His reasoning is that you should understand now that the evidence you were trying to provide, wasn't evidence. It was a lot of fluff, propaganda, and while there was one reputable source, even they are somewhat untrustworthy when it comes to nutrition as compared to actual medical information.

It's a tough love thing.
  • BeebsAbs
    Options

How did you help me?

His reasoning is that you should understand now that the evidence you were trying to provide, wasn't evidence. It was a lot of fluff, propaganda, and while there was one reputable source, even they are somewhat untrustworthy when it comes to nutrition as compared to actual medical information.

It's a tough love thing.

I am appreciating the fact that he wants peer related info (for the 100th time, i cant give him that but still) how does it help be by sayin NO,NO, she made that up,NO,Thats not legit ?
  • crisanderson27
    Options

How did you help me?

It's a tough love thing.

I am appreciating the fact that he wants peer related info (for the 100th time, i cant give him that but still) how does it help be by sayin NO,NO, she made that up,NO,Thats not legit ?

It doesn't help you with the IF/breakfast thing...but it gives you the tools to discount completely utter crap as your reason for believing something...and also gives you the tools to at least try to recognize reliable sources.
    I did help you, by now you should understand that you have a lot of learning to do and that random websites don't constitute evidence

Granted...sometimes a push in the right direction helps a person along (such as the documentation I sent you), but at the same time, he's hoping that you'll now be able to figure out for yourself what you need to know.
  • BeebsAbs
    Options
    Thanks Cris, but i'm sure he's a big boy and can answer for himself

i think its best to agree to disagree, this is going on way too long now
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Thanks Cris, but i'm sure he's a big boy and can answer for himself

i think its best to agree to disagree, this is going on way too long now

Can and will aren't the same things lol.

Anyhow, back on my bike to run some errands. Let me know what you think of ESE.
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    There was research done that I can't be bothered to find that showed your metabolism increased the most after you ate in the morning (and every meal subsequently caused a metabolism spike, but smaller and smaller as the day went on). I guess it makes you hungry because you're burning more?

It's a struggle, but I'm trying to work my way from 2 meals a day (no breakfast!) to 4 smaller meals. I manage about 70-100 calories in the morning, but I want more. Baby steps!
  • Acg67
    Options

How did you help me?

Hopefully you came to the realization that you were wrong and will stop spreading nutritional myths. And maybe you learned that a random article on a random site does not prove anything.
  • BeebsAbs
    Options

How did you help me?

Hopefully you came to the realization that you were wrong and will stop spreading nutritional myths. And maybe you learned that a random article on a random site does not prove anything.

do you have any proof that these are Myths?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I realize that my post is ending up in the middle of a tet-a-tet, but I am going to post a response to the OP anyway. :tongue:

I usually do not feel like eating in the morning (my stomach does not 'wake up' until about mid-morning) so I don't. I do have to have my latte though!. As long as what I eat fits into my daily goals - then I eat when I feel like it during the day.