Breakfast - a waste of calories?

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Let the pissing match begin!

You're late man...that was 11 pages ago lol.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I wake up ravenous every morning. My stomach actually wakes me up sometimes. I've always been that way. So I always eat within a half hour of waking up, because I'm pretty sure my stomach would eat itself if I didn't.

So the main thing I enjoy about breakfast is not being hungry any more. That's about it.
  • shaX07
    shaX07 Posts: 28
    Options
    Somewhere along the way, somebody was conducting some sort of nutritional study and came to the conclusion that people who eat breakfast, Tend to eat less calories for lunch & dinner, Thus creating the notion that "everyone should eat breakfast" so you don't overeat on lunch & dinner.

This somehow got twisted around into the false belief that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day". While Breakfast is certainly important, I see no reason as to why it is any more important than any other meal.

And to suggest that people should eat breakfast even if they are not hungry, is just plain silly. Common sense must be applied here. Why on earth would you eat if you're not hungry? Sure we all do it occasionally, but if you genuinely are not hungry and do not Want to eat breakfast, than don't.

I find that if I have a large dinner, I am not typically hungry for breakfast. When this happens, I have tried to just eat breakfast as usual, but find myself eating just as much or possibly more than if I had a smaller dinner.

If I simply wait a few hours until I am actually hungry, than I feel better afterwards and would typically eat the same amount of food.

Bottom line-- Eat when you're hungry, don't when you're not, regardless of the time of day or what anybody tells you what you should or should not do.

It all goes back to the basics-- If you're trying to lose weight, create a daily caloric deficit, it does not matter When or what time you eat.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Didn't call it till the first personal insult (I saw - maybe I missed it) flew. :laugh:
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Didn't call it till the first personal insult (I saw - maybe I missed it) flew. :laugh:

Ahh, well...yes, that lol.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I used to be like you. I didn't used to eat breakfast. I wanted to eat larger and yummier lunches and dinners. I found that by the time I got home (sometimes 4 or 5) I would be famished, and I would eat what was quick, and bad for me, and massive quantities of it. I was a girl eating 2 Big Macs and reaching for a half of another one. It was gross. It wasn't always that bad, but my desire to eat large quantities of comfort food increased over time.

Now I eat tons of snacks, and very few meals. I eat more when I plan to exercise a lot. I have no desire to eat multiple Big Macs. Or even one Big Mac. They were gross, and the extra bun the the middle made it taste less yummy, anyway.
  • BeebsAbs
    BeebsAbs Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Strike 1, batter doesnt even swing.
    still not a site given from Acg67

I suggest you take your own advice, dont wanna strike out standing do we?

What don't you understand about the burden of proof? You made a claim and i've asked you to substantiate it. You've posted a few sites none of which showed that eating breakfast will increase metabolism when calories and protein were held constant.

and thats strike 2 ladies and gents

and clearly you don't understand it either.

If your that worried about me posting something about it why don't you prove me wrong by posting something against it?

Obviously you didn't eat breakfast or your cognition would have been much better......

Why would i do the work for you? You made a claim so it should be easy to substantiate. Do you have any actual studies supporting your claim or no, you're just making things up?

i suppose i'm making it up, just like the Nutritionist from one of the previous links.

Each debate has 2 sides. At least i have attempted to get you into my way of thinking.
    Most of the links published are by MD's, one link even from Johns Hopkins, which obviously means nothing to you.

Im happy to put my hands up and say i'm wrong. A real man admits his mistakes, but i have had no reason to have my mind changed YET.
    So PLEASE i'm begging you to prove me wrong. If i can't prove i'm right it doesn't automatically make you right

Otherwise you have struck out on this one and at least i can say i attempted to do something about it rather then act like a complete d-bag and just argue what i'm saying.

So one last chance otherwise im calling BS on what you are saying.

I have previously said i'm walking away from this. So here it is....... you have 1 more post to prove me wrong or you have been as much use as a chocolate coffee pot

You're right debate does have two sides, but there is also something called the burden of proof which squarely falls on your shoulders and which you've yet to prove anything. A simple request of a study or two showing a metabolic advantage to eating breakfast resulted in you posting not a single study.

So go ahead and call BS on what I'm saying and continue to beleive in the fantasy of unicorns, elves and a metabolic advantage to eating breakfast.

so you are going out with not even a whimper
    Hmmm heroic, i'll ride away on my unicorn and get the fair maiden then while the neanderthal scratches his head and still cant think of anything to say but "wheres your evidence"

being stubborn on the debate gets you no where.

If you were in court and somebody puts there case across, isn't it in your best interest to fight that claim with your own evidence no matter how strong the defendants is?
    I had some evidence, however strong it was, i gave some.
    If you whimpered in court like you just did you would be destined to lose

What do I have to prove? I've yet to make a claim or even say you were incorrect, only asked you to substantiate your claim. Strong reading comprehension on your part bro

you challenged my theory, therefore you don't agree.

Point 1) I NEVER mentioned breakfast sustaining anything other then helping the metabolism get to a higher level in the morning
    Point 2) You challenged a point of mine, in which i am admitting, has not proof that these points are true. BUT my sources are from names such as (namedropping again) Johns Collins, why would an institution as big as this lie to you?
    Point 3) You agreed this was a debate, therefore (even though you said i was wrong) where was your evidence to prove that it is wrong? If i cant prove i'm right and you cant prove im wrong we are heading in circles are we not?

So all pissyness aside, you dont have anything to prove but if this is going to be ended then you need to show me something that will help me believe what your train of thought is.

"bro" friend, pal, buddy,mate whatever you wanna call me. Im asking politely. Prove to me that i am wrong then i will shut up
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Somewhere along the way, somebody was conducting some sort of nutritional study and came to the conclusion that people who eat breakfast, Tend to eat less calories for lunch & dinner, Thus creating the notion that "everyone should eat breakfast" so you don't overeat on lunch & dinner.

This somehow got twisted around into the false belief that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day". While Breakfast is certainly important, I see no reason as to why it is any more important than any other meal.

And to suggest that people should eat breakfast even if they are not hungry, is just plain silly. Common sense must be applied here. Why on earth would you eat if you're not hungry? Sure we all do it occasionally, but if you genuinely are not hungry and do not Want to eat breakfast, than don't.

I find that if I have a large dinner, I am not typically hungry for breakfast. When this happens, I have tried to just eat breakfast as usual, but find myself eating just as much or possibly more than if I had a smaller dinner.

If I simply wait a few hours until I am actually hungry, than I feel better afterwards and would typically eat the same amount of food.

Bottom line-- Eat when you're hungry, don't when you're not, regardless of the time of day or what anybody tells you what you should or should not do.

It all goes back to the basics-- If you're trying to lose weight, create a daily caloric deficit, it does not matter When or what time you eat.

^^^^ I haven't read through the whole thread, but I can't imagine a better, more helpful reply than this.

For ME, eating small amounts of food all day long (including a small breakfast) is my key to never being hungry, and being able to make rational food choices when presented with food. If I skipped breakfast, I'd be in serious trouble at lunch. And heaven help me if someone brought in donuts! (NOM NOM NOM!!!! OK, where'd the dozen go? I ate WHAT?!?!?!)

For other people I know, they can't face the thought of eating first thing, and when they do it makes them hungry all day long. Not sure why; it just does.

Do what works for you and gives you the best tools necessary to maintain YOUR caloric goals. Feel free to experiment, getting it wrong will not kill you! And you may feel like having breakfast some days, and not having breakfast others. Your body might tell you different things on different days. If you are overall eating healthy, you will very rapidly learn to listen to your body.

And remember, you're unique and different!!! ... just like everybody else. :)
  • BeebsAbs
    BeebsAbs Posts: 101 Member
    Options

^^^^ I haven't read through the whole thread, but I can't imagine a better, more helpful reply than this.

For ME, eating small amounts of food all day long (including a small breakfast) is my key to never being hungry, and being able to make rational food choices when presented with food. If I skipped breakfast, I'd be in serious trouble at lunch. And heaven help me if someone brought in donuts! (NOM NOM NOM!!!! OK, where'd the dozen go? I ate WHAT?!?!?!)

For other people I know, they can't face the thought of eating first thing, and when they do it makes them hungry all day long. Not sure why; it just does.

Do what works for you and gives you the best tools necessary to maintain YOUR caloric goals. Feel free to experiment, getting it wrong will not kill you! And you may feel like having breakfast some days, and not having breakfast others. Your body might tell you different things on different days. If you are overall eating healthy, you will very rapidly learn to listen to your body.

i said this about an hour ago but was being harassed for more info!!
    Everyone is different

This works for me
  • crisanderson27
    Options

The only thing that isn't helpful about that post is that there ARE benifits to modifying your eating habits (meaning eating within certain windows rather than spread out etc). Since they are debatable though...it's not worth arguing about. What's not debatable is that you can train your body to be hungry, or not...based on your normal eating habits...so it's not a totally trustworthy indicator.

Other than that though...yes, it was a great response.
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    Breakfast? I LOVE IT, its MY most important meal of the day... I'm a HUGE breakfast fan... Most days I wake up at 5:30 am and I eat breakfast anywhere between 7 and 9 o'clock.... It helps me get going, gives me energy and I just generally feel better when i eat breakfast.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    No matter what I do I can't help but feel like breakfast (for me!) is a waste of calories. I know some people enjoy it, but I am neither hungry nor do I enjoy eating breakfast. So I usually don't eat it and save those calories for later in the day.

Just wondering if there are other like minded folk who don't think much of breakfast and prefer to save their calories for later in the day?

Or if you are a big breakfast fan, what you like about it?

I usually do the same but I also eat late dinners most nights as well.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Point 1) I NEVER mentioned breakfast sustaining anything other then helping the metabolism get to a higher level in the morning

"The 'kick-start' is getting nutrition in early to help the metabolism fire up so its burns at a higher rate throughout the [WHOLE day not just the few hours after and like soaps said its great to have something to look forward to after a workout.

Point 2) You challenged a point of mine, in which i am admitting, has not proof that these points are true. BUT my sources are from names such as (namedropping again) Johns Collins, why would an institution as big as this lie to you?

Good, we're getting somewhere. Admitting you are unable to prove your claim, is the first step. Therefore what can we conclude from your statement that breakfast kick starts your metabolism and has it burn at "a higher rate throughout the WHOLE day"?
    Point 3) You agreed this was a debate, therefore (even though you said i was wrong) where was your evidence to prove that it is wrong? If i cant prove i'm right and you cant prove im wrong we are heading in circles are we not?

I will provide a rebuttal when/if you actual present legit evidence supporting your claim, burden of proof is still on you
    So all pissyness aside, you dont have anything to prove but if this is going to be ended then you need to show me something that will help me believe what your train of thought is.

You not being able to substantiate your claim has already ended it
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I always eat breakfast, but I rarely eat breakfast foods. I would rather have a regular meal, apx 300 calories, for breakfast.
  • jak2315
    jak2315 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You may not like breakfast, but you really should eat it. When you eat breakfast, your metabolism gets a huge boost. It gives you energy to get through the morning and helps to lose weight. I always eat breakfast and feel better for doing so.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Don't have time to read all posts - but if you like to have a drink, why not try a protein shake. It gives you some of the nutrition of a breakfast, without making you feel like you have to prepare and eat a breakfast. I often mix mine with almond milk - the Blue Diamond light is only 40 or 60 (vanilla flavor) calories per cup. Depending on protein mix - mine usually ends up under 200 calories (milk plus mix) and it can get me through until lunch time. I feel good for having something, on those days that I'm not hungry, or it's a quick fix for mornings that I don't have time to make breakfast.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    You may not like breakfast, but you really should eat it. When you eat breakfast, your metabolism gets a huge boost. It gives you energy to get through the morning and helps to lose weight. I always eat breakfast and feel better for doing so.

Not to be a jerk...but did you read any of the thread?

What makes you say that your metabolism gets a huge boost?
  • jacs214
    jacs214 Posts: 2
    Options
    i was always told to have a protein within the first 1/2 hour of waking up to boost the metabolism~ i usually do a protein shake or protein juice
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

In the past 25 years I've probably eaten breakfast < 100 times, and most of those were more brunch than breakfast. It's a wonder I can even stand upright.

When I do eat breakfast I usually feel sluggish and bloated. I don't care what any study says, or what any MFP member says. I know that I don't need to eat breakfast to be heatlhy or energetic. I guess I'm just special.

ETA: other than drugs or fright, I'm not sure there is anything that give your metabolism a "huge" boost. Things that boost your metabolism, like eating, caffeine, drinking something cold, etc. are very small boosts.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I need my breakfast. If I don't, I will eat rubbish mid-morning. But if you don't, I wouldn't worry about it and eat when you're ready for it.

This ^