Breakfast - a waste of calories?

Options

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I eat sometimes when i don't really feel like it because i know it's good for me.

I don't eat sometimes when i want to because i know it's good for me.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    yes, but while you sleep, think how slow your metabolism gets. 7-8 hours with nothing is gonna slow it right down.
    Thats where the kick start comes from

Breakfast also makes you feel better then not eating anything and lasting until lunch.

Also you need to account for the BMR, even if you sit in an office chair all day you are burning ALL day no matter what. That is fact. and You do need to fuel the engine for it to work.

Even drinking cold water burns calories!

SO getting the metabolism started early for it to burn higher throughout the day IS the best way to do it.
    Eating every 2-3 hours small nutritious meals also keeps the metabolism at this higher state so it continues to burn

How slow does your metabolism get when you don't eat for 7-8hrs?

Just curious...I mean, if you can explain that to me...the rest might make sense.
    i think in this case, not eating breakfast, your body is attempting to go into survival mode, so storing the fat because it is not sure when it will get any food/nutrients agin so stores the fat for energy

when you snack eat an apple or peanut butter on oatcakes or almonds, they really fill me up and stop that craving!

Survival mode? Really? After not eating breakfast from dinner time the night before?

I'm SO fooked!! But, wait! By survival mode you must mean that your body will shed all its unwanted fat (since you DID show it that you need those muscles by hitting the gym HARD the day before), maintain as much lean mass as possible, and overall improve your strength, alertness, and ability to focus.

If so...I agree COMPLETELY!
  • PlaidLee
    PlaidLee Posts: 12
    Options
    I never used to eat breakfast. It used to be a coffee and a cigarette. Since I started on here and am trying to get healthier and quit smoking, I have found that breakfast is helping. I typically have a light breakfast - either a hard boiled egg, half an avocado and an apple or some frozen fruit blended together - no juice (ie. Banana, blueberries, pineapple, etc...) I have found that it gives me that boost in the morning that I need and unlike what I used to do , in the evenings after I have dinner, I don't feel like I need to keep snacking all night long. It's just changing my body to expect food at different times during the day. Nothing scientific - everyone is different! :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    No matter what I do I can't help but feel like breakfast (for me!) is a waste of calories. I know some people enjoy it, but I am neither hungry nor do I enjoy eating breakfast. So I usually don't eat it and save those calories for later in the day.

Just wondering if there are other like minded folk who don't think much of breakfast and prefer to save their calories for later in the day?

Or if you are a big breakfast fan, what you like about it?

I frequently skip breakfast, except for a couple of cups of coffee with skim milk. I don't mind eating breakfast occasionally, but I find that it revs ups my appetite and I'm apt to eat more over the course of a day.

Recently, I've been practicing a form of Intermittent Fasting (IF). I only drink tea, water, or coffee with a tiny bit of milk as part of my 14-hour fast. I resume eating around noon or 2, depending on when I last ate.
  • Gloria415
    Gloria415 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on the subject but... I felt the same way you did. My dietitian explained to me that I or anyone for this matter should have breakfast within an hour of waking up. By doing so you are actually starting up your metabolism.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    I REALLY hate the "you don't run your car on empty," arguments against intermittent fasting. I don't run my car on my empty. I also don't have to fill my car every morning before I turn it on because it is perfectly capable of storing fuel. 5 gallons of fuel will run my car the same amount of distance, whether I put all 5 gallons in at once, or whether I fill it a gallon at a time. The human body operates the same way. It will run just fine, whether you decide to eat 5 small meals a day, or 1 large meal a day, if you eat the same number of calories either way, your body operates the exact same way.

I love this!! I too hate the 'car on empty' argument. This is a great answer.

Besides, all I have to do is look at my thighs to know my car is never totally without fuel. :grumble:

Another argument used in favor of IF is that early human beings had to actively pursue food, hunting, gathering, just walking and as food was scarce they were often in a fasted state. Not eating for 10, even 24 hours is not going to hurt you. (IF is not recommended for diabetics (at least w/o supervision), pregnant women and children, all of whom have special nutritional needs.).
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    I'm no expert on the subject but... I felt the same way you did. My dietitian explained to me that I or anyone for this matter should have breakfast within an hour of waking up. By doing so you are actually starting up your metabolism.

Your metabolism doesn't stop. It may slow down, but not to the point where you won't lose weight. What eating does do is set off hormonal responses that make you feel hungry. People who don't eat breakfast are merely delaying that response.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I always used to skip breakfast - just didn't care for eating in the morning. I have to say though, since I started logging and forcing myself to eat in the mornings, breakfast has turned in my favorite meal of the day. For whatever reason, I really look forward to my oatmeal, boiled eggs, crackers, and a few minutes of SportsCenter each morning. :-)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    This:
    I always used to skip breakfast - just didn't care for eating in the morning. I have to say though, since I started logging and forcing myself to eat in the mornings, breakfast has turned in my favorite meal of the day. For whatever reason, I really look forward to my oatmeal, boiled eggs, crackers, and a few minutes of SportsCenter each morning. :-)

Is because this DOES carry over:
    Your metabolism doesn't stop. It may slow down, but not to the point where you won't lose weight. What eating does do is set off hormonal responses that make you feel hungry. People who don't eat breakfast are merely delaying that response.

If I eat breakfast, I'm ravenous all day. If I don't eat breakfast...I can easily go clear to the next dinner without eating. This is after a 2000-3000cal series of 'evening meals' the night before...usually over a 4-5hr window.

It is amazing to me how prevalent the antiquated belief that food in the morning is what causes your metabolism to activate...even though it's been PROVEN that it doesn't stop, and barely (if at all) even slows down when sleeping. Just GETTING UP in the morning, increases your metabolism the tiny amount that it will be increased from your sleeping metabolic rate.

Eating breakfast is a preferance, not a necessity.
  • noelslp
    noelslp Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    IF, IF, IF. I never eat breakfast and my metabolism is doing just fine thanks. I've lost 35 pounds, fit in a size 2/4, am seeing more muscle tone and definition than ever before, and I have not plateaued at all.
  • BeebsAbs
    BeebsAbs Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This:

If I eat breakfast, I'm ravenous all day. If I don't eat breakfast...I can easily go clear to the next dinner without eating. This is after a 2000-3000cal series of 'evening meals' the night before...usually over a 4-5hr window.

It is amazing to me how prevalent the antiquated belief that food in the morning is what causes your metabolism to activate...even though it's been PROVEN that it doesn't stop, and barely (if at all) even slows down when sleeping. Just GETTING UP in the morning, increases your metabolism the tiny amount that it will be increased from your sleeping metabolic rate.

not trying to dig at you or come across aggressive BUT, noone said that the metabolism stops, merely that is slows right down. The 'kick-start' is getting nutrition in early to help the metabolism fire up so its burns at a higher rate throughout the WHOLE day not just the few hours after and like soaps said its great to have something to look forward to after a workout.
    Personally i prefer to eat as soon as i get up but on the occasion i eat after.

and crisanderson, i will happily accept 100% what you are saying (heres that word again) IF you can show your certificate to be a fully qualified nutritionist. I cant say that i am BUT 99% of PT will tell you that breakfast IS the most important meal of the day

Like i said im not trying to bust your balls or anything.
    And if you can show me articles by medical professionals that disproves me i will happily read them to see how you are thinking.

I have been on both sides of this. I NEVER used to eat breakfast and im on my feet all day and worked out 2-3 times a week but still could not get rid of the band of fat over my abs.
    Now i eat it everyday workout 3-4 times a week and have almost got rid of that unwanted fat and am down to around 11% body fat, previously 16%.
    So the extra 300 or so calories a day and only 1 extra workout surely would make me gain right?
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge breakfast eater either. So I usually just have a protien shake and go about my business.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    This:

not trying to dig at you or come across aggressive BUT, noone said that the metabolism stops, merely that is slows right down. The 'kick-start' is getting nutrition in early to help the metabolism fire up so its burns at a higher rate throughout the WHOLE day not just the few hours after and like soaps said its great to have something to look forward to after a workout.

and crisanderson, i will happily accept 100% what you are saying (heres that word again) IF you can show your certificate to be a fully qualified nutritionist. I cant say that i am BUT 99% of PT will tell you that breakfast IS the most important meal of the day

And if you can show me articles by medical professionals that disproves me i will happily read them to see how you are thinking.

I have been on both sides of this. I NEVER used to eat breakfast and im on my feet all day and worked out 2-3 times a week but still could not get rid of the band of fat over my abs.
    Now i eat it everyday workout 3-4 times a week and have almost got rid of that unwanted fat and am down to around 11% body fat, previously 16%.
    So the extra 300 or so calories a day and only 1 extra workout surely would make me gain right?

Can you substantiate that you will burn more cals throughout the days just by eating breakfast, holding calories and protein constant? Something more than anecdotal evidence or using an appeal to authority saying 99% of PT's say it's important?
  • BeebsAbs
    Options
    This:

Can you substantiate that you will burn more cals throughout the days just by eating breakfast, holding calories and protein constant? Something more than anecdotal evidence or using an appeal to authority saying 99% of PT's say it's important?

you may be mis interpreting what im saying, with the PT thing, yes is an outlandish statement but 99%of the PTs ive spoken to DO recommend it.

And with the fat burning i didnt attribute this 100% to breakfast, its just, as you say, an anecdote to part of my story of my fitness. So i am putting breakfast as a key part of it.

And like i previously said show me an article from a medical professional who says not to eat breakfast and i will read and potentially adjust my statement.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Before starting this whole journey, I was never a breakfast person. I wasn't hungry in the morning and I'm not a fan of "breakfast foods" in genearl. So, I figured, why not just eat more of what I want later in the day?

Now, though, I do eat breakfast every day, and I've learned to love it. It makes me feel much better throughout the day, and I don't find myself eating nearly as much (or wanting to) crap later on for lunch, snacks, dinner, midnight snacks, etc.
  • Acg67
    Options
    This:

you may be mis interpreting what im saying, with the PT thing, yes is an outlandish statement but 99%of the PTs ive spoken to DO recommend it.

And with the fat burning i didnt attribute this 100% to breakfast, its just, as you say, an anecdote to part of my story of my fitness. So i am putting breakfast as a key part of it.

And like i previously said show me an article from a medical professional who says not to eat breakfast and i will read and potentially adjust my statement.

You're not very good at this, you made the claim that eating breakfast "kick starts" your metabolism and has it burning at a higher rate all day. The burden of proof is on you to substantiate such an outlandish claim.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    i think in this case, not eating breakfast, your body is attempting to go into survival mode, so storing the fat because it is not sure when it will get any food/nutrients agin so stores the fat for energy

when you snack eat an apple or peanut butter on oatcakes or almonds, they really fill me up and stop that craving!

Oh come on!! No one's body is "attempting to go into survival mode" and storing fat because they eat a few hours later in the day. Don't be ridiculous.
  • BeebsAbs
    Options
    This:

You're not very good at this, you made the claim that eating breakfast "kick starts" your metabolism and has it burning at a higher rate all day. The burden of proof is on you to substantiate such an outlandish claim.

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=1525

http://www.truestarhealth.com/members/cm_archives59ml4p1a8.html
  • BeebsAbs
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/321836-does-eating-breakfast-raise-metabolism/

http://www.symptomfind.com/health/how-to-kick-start-your-metabolism/

these are what i have found to support what im saying.

Care to show your evidence, after all sharing is caring
  • Acg67
    Options

correlation =/= causation, says nothing about increased metabolism

No references, just a dietician making things up

lol Livestrong?

Please cite valid peer reviewed studies showing that holding calories and protein constant eating breakfast increases metabolism