Breakfast - a waste of calories?

Options

Replies

• jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    As a rule, I'm not always hungry when I get up. Sometimes not for at least two hours. I general start by drinking a glass of milk to start my day. Liquid is much easier than solids that early.
  • xpsychobelle
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I ate breakfast!!! if anything it makes me HUNGRIER if i eat it
    plus, i never have time for breakfast, and the thought of eating so early in the morning makes me feel sick
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast it is probably my favorite meal of the day. Try mixing it up. A great website is skinnytaste.com
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Breakfast makes for a more even distribution of calories over the course of the day and I'm less likely to eat too much at lunch or dinner. I wake up hungry in the morning, eat, get hungry around noon, eat, and then have a snack around three and then dinner around 6. Keeps food in my body at all times for maximum fat burning awesomeness!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's really whatever works for you. I personally can't go many hours without eating, so breakfast is a must for me or I truly can't think straight! So if you are not hungry and skipping the meal doesn't cause you to overeat later in the day then go for it! If you do feel like it's causing you to overeat later in the day try for something small and low calorie that packs some protein!
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You should try to have protein first thing in the morning, that helps start up your metabolism when you wake up.
  • luckygirl5918
    luckygirl5918 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    when i was in the weight loss industry i learned it jumpstarts your metabolism....but it takes about 21 days to change - or make a habit
  • allysabee
    allysabee Posts: 123
    Options
    I work every Monday - Friday from 7:30 am until 4:00 pm. I wake up between 5:30 and 6:15 everyday to get ready. I don't have time, or an appetite, to eat breakfast before I leave the house. I usually bring about 4 snacks with me to work to eat before lunch - I eat my first one anywhere between 8:00 am - 9:00 am. I guess that would technically be my "breakfast", but I never ever sit down at home before leaving for work and eat.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Im the same Im no hungry so I dont eat if I am hungry I grab a apple or piece of fruit. By lunch time I have my Brunch ususally some oatmeal, fat free greek yogurt and some fruits that more than ties me over. maybe a light snack in the afternoon.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I am by far a morning person or someone who would eat breakfast. I have always been that way and my daughter is following my footsteps. BUT I then realized that I was "saving" the calories for later and then wanting to eat more because I was starving, so since then I have started eating breakfast even if it is just a Slimfast shake on the go or waffles with whipped peanut butter (my favorie for 290 calories). Breakfast is important because it breaks the fast from overnight. Even if you don't eat much, you should eat something.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts but I think eating anytime that you are not hungry and don't enjoy it is a waste of calories. I've never been much of a breakfast eater. I'm more thirsty than hungry in the morning so I usually just have a cup of soy milk. That usually keeps me going until lunch. If I get hungry before lunch, I have a snack.
  • hilarryus
    hilarryus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For me I try switch around my day completely. Instead of low calories in the morning, i eat high protein and quite a bit in general. That way at night i am not eating too much and will only have a bowl of cereal and toast. This way i have all day to burn the calories i am eating in the morning and i am not going to bed with all of that food still processing from dinner.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I have to be careful about how much I eat in the morning, and I still can't eat until I've been awake for at least an hour, or I get very queasy. A hard boiled egg, a serving of fresh fruit, and half a bagel work wonders for me on workout days though. I am just too hungry if I don't eat before I exercise. On off days, though, I do typically wait until lunchtime to break my fast, other than coffee.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find mymost health experts will tell you that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Then there is the idea that "If I am not hungry, I shouldn't eat." I have wondered which is it? I generally opt for the "If not hungry, don't eat" guideline.

For the record, I eat something for breakfast nearly every day. Sometimes I skip it.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I am a must have breakfast kinda girl... It helps me get my day started and it has improved tremendously my alertness in the mornings... I have learned to dislike the feeling of hunger so I have set myself on somewhat of an eating schedule to avoid the feeling... it is what works for me <--- has only been the case for about 6 mos or so now...
  • talzybob
    talzybob Posts: 80
    Options
    breakfast is never a waste. it kickstarts the metabolism and helps your body wake up from the enights sleep. plus it stops you from over eating at lunch. you must have something suitable for breakfast becaus under eating will also have no benefit
  • TorridSkies4
    Options
    I always wake up ravenous.

But then again, my mom always made us eat breakfast EVERY day before school so I guess as an adult the habit just stuck.

So yes, breakfast is awesome! :)
  • sallyalicet
    sallyalicet Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Apparently it's the most important meal of the day seen as it kick starts your metabolism. I never ate breakfast, as i felt sick in the morning and never had an appetite. But a few months ago i started eating breakfast and it's made my weight loss faster and it's actually stopped me from feeling sick in the morning. I never have a big breakfast, just a little bowl of cereal and skimmed milk (15g, smaller than your average cereal bowl). I don't know, but now i always look forward to eating breakfast.
  • SlimsLiftingMoreThanLipstick
    Options
    I LOVE breakfast. I would rather eat a large breakfast and a smaller lunch. You can give me pro's and con's but people will eat how they eat. I'm not giving up my breakfast and I bet many aren't going to start eating it.
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast person either, but I understand how important breakfast is so I usually force myself into having a bowl of Kellogs K with some milk. It's better than nothing at least. Also, I find that on the days I do eat a sturdy breakfast (400-600 kcal) I "automatically" eat less during the rest of that entire day; I don't feel the "need" to snack and I'll eat much more balanced.

I can absolutely vouch for this. If I eat a small breakfast, 150-210 cals, I'm hungry all day. If I eat a big breakfast, 500 cals, I can eat a small lunch and reasonable dinner.
    Think of times you go out for that 'hangover' breakfast... you're pretty much good for the day ;-)