Cottage Cheese. WTF???? PASS ME THE BUCKET!!

Options

Replies

• thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    My *kitten* looks like cottage cheese

Sorry worng thread d'oh

Welcome to the club
    Mine luckily isn't large curd. :laugh:

But is small curd cottage cheese butt any better? :laugh:

Hence why I have never even tried the stuff.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I am obviously doing this wrong because so many people swear by it. i tried blitzing it to a smooth paste, adding black pepper, then chilli powder..... etc etc etc.

it is truly the most disgusting thing EVER!! and i never thought i would hate anything with cheese in it's name!

little help here?
    It's OK not to like particular foods, everyone has their favorites. Why eat something that has no appeal to you? Like liver, healthy for us? Maybe, but not something I EVER eat, to me, it's beyond gross. So I would never MAKE myself eat it, that seems pointless.:noway:

Lots of foods out there to choose from, Cottage Cheese can be a good one if you enjoy it, skip it if you don't. The sodium in it though is killer high!
    If you don't like it just don't eat it.
    What she said.. Exactly my point!

[/quote]
    Oh, my.

The whole point of cottage cheese is to have the little curds, which add texture. It's the tapioca of dairy protein delivery systems. Many of us like it because it has an interesting texture. But that's the POINT of it, like the little pearls in tapioca. The texture appeals to some.

If you don't like tapioca, don't blend it, just buy vanilla pudding, for goodness sake!

If you don't like cottage cheese, why are you torturing yourself by trying to make it appealing? Seriously, there are so many wonderful protein sources out there that you should not feel obligated to like them all. If you're trying to use dairy, try greek yogurt, which is yogurt with more of a sour cream-style consistency. Drink milk. Enjoy some nice butter or cheese.

What has prompted you to think of cottage cheese as some sort of food that you MUST eat? Meaning no offense, but it seems like you're putting a lot of effort into something that requires none - find a protein source you enjoy!

Food should be a pleasure, eaten with moderation and some planning but eaten to be ENJOYED. Why force something you obviously dislike into your body when so many equally-healthy alternatives exist?
    agreed, so many good points in your post!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    i read a recipe that said to change the texture, blitz it in a food processor to get a creamy textured dip. WRONG!!! hahaha!!!

Oh, my.

The whole point of cottage cheese is to have the little curds, which add texture. It's the tapioca of dairy protein delivery systems. Many of us like it because it has an interesting texture. But that's the POINT of it, like the little pearls in tapioca. The texture appeals to some.

If you don't like tapioca, don't blend it, just buy vanilla pudding, for goodness sake!

If you don't like cottage cheese, why are you torturing yourself by trying to make it appealing? Seriously, there are so many wonderful protein sources out there that you should not feel obligated to like them all. If you're trying to use dairy, try greek yogurt, which is yogurt with more of a sour cream-style consistency. Drink milk. Enjoy some nice butter or cheese.

What has prompted you to think of cottage cheese as some sort of food that you MUST eat? Meaning no offense, but it seems like you're putting a lot of effort into something that requires none - find a protein source you enjoy!

Food should be a pleasure, eaten with moderation and some planning but eaten to be ENJOYED. Why force something you obviously dislike into your body when so many equally-healthy alternatives exist?
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options

Add a scoop of vanilla protein powder, a tablespoon of fat free cheesecake pudding powder and a dash of vanilla extract. Not sour at all.

Ooooh...you may be my new best friend :)

Heh...I do the above with 1/2 cup cottage cheese and 1/2 cup 1% milk and handful of ice cubes. Sometimes I toss in a banana if it's after a run and I want extra potassium.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese but only certain brands. They really do differ a lot. Kind of like greek yogurts or wines :)
  • lleabrooks
    lleabrooks Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it... don't eat it. I'm not a fan myself. All I can think about is nasty curdled milk! ick :sick: Don't force it... really.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese with a sliced up Roma tomato. Sadly cottage cheese has TONS of sodium so I have cut back.

It's a ridiculous amount of sodium, seriously.
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I mix a little bit in with my spaghetti/marinara sauce for a creamy red sauce. The lumps pretty much melt into it. It is sooooo good.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Well, there is always the option of not eating it. If you do not enjoy something, you should not have to force yourself to eat it "just because".

What do you think about Greek yogurt?

i only thought i would give it a whirl because it gets so much love on here. i thonk i will defo leave it on the shelf though, next supermarket trip.

i LOVE greek yogurt though, with honey - my kids love it too! guess i was looking for an alternative, really....

I hear ya. I am one of those people that loves cottage cheese any way you make it. In the summer time many of my lunches consist of cottage cheese with a little Italian dressing mixed in and a sliced tomato. Now my husband on the other hand, if he walked by and saw me eating that, we would be passing the bucket to him. I think the most important thing here is you tried it, I do not know how many people tell me they do not like something with out ever even trying it first. So props to you for that.

I just did a comparison of cottage cheese and Greek yogurt and they are almost identical. The cheese has 3 more g protein per cup but 10 more cholesterol.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    try cooking it into oatmeal
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    maybe a smoothie is not a bad idea.... i think the problem is it's baby-sick consistency and too sour taste. reminds me of when my babies were small... but not in a good way! :C

could never stomach it ,
    buy vanilla casein protein powder 1000 time nicer in smootie .all the good of the cheese without the taste or the fat
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Funny! I love cottage cheese! Most people prefer it with fruit! I prefer it alone or with vegetables... tomatoes, peppers, etc.
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the other posters; if you don't like it just find something that different that's beneficial to your health goals. Life's too short to be eating stuff you don't like just out of principle.

I have found that there are some brands that I just don't like and others that I'm okay with. I travel for a living and I bring along a cooler and frequently replace the ice in it. I bring cottage cheese and I cut up a fresh pinapple in another container and enjoy the two together.
  • lisag2007
    lisag2007 Posts: 130
    Options
    My fave snack is strawberries with cottage cheese....try a little honey drizzled over it all....YUM!!!
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I love it straight out of the container! I suppose it depends on the kind of cottage cheese you have tried. I love small curd cottage cheese and creamed cottage cheese, but large curd or dry curd take some getting used to. I love it plain eaten with a spoon, it's excellent on a slice of rye or pumpernickel bread, and it's good with finely chopped onion, carrots and green peppers mixed in served on a bed of lettuce.
  • emmamcc1981
    emmamcc1981 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i read a recipe that said to change the texture, blitz it in a food processor to get a creamy textured dip. WRONG!!! hahaha!!!

Oh, my.

this was the first time ever of trying it - after reading so much on here about how 'awesome' it was. i thought i'd better not just pass it up entirely in case there WAS a better way of eating it. turns out, there probably isn't :D for me anyway!
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    can not stand the smell, taste or texture blluuuuerrrgh. I heave when my other half eats it by the tub!
  • jfrroth
    jfrroth Posts: 1
    Options
    Try mixing it with your favort yogart, 1/2 and 1/2. You'll like it a lot better plus, your mixing protene with good carbs.
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness... mmmmmm cottage cheese. Full fat cottage cheese is way better, but high in calories. I got fat free and its alright, but lacking flavor. I always put fresh fruit in mine, normally strawberry or kiwi. But again, I love the flavor and the texture. It's definately an acquired taste.
    Find other protein if you don't like it. Not a big deal. I don't think it will make or break your weightloss goals!
  • emmamcc1981
    emmamcc1981 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Well, there is always the option of not eating it. If you do not enjoy something, you should not have to force yourself to eat it "just because".

What do you think about Greek yogurt?

i only thought i would give it a whirl because it gets so much love on here. i thonk i will defo leave it on the shelf though, next supermarket trip.

i LOVE greek yogurt though, with honey - my kids love it too! guess i was looking for an alternative, really....

I hear ya. I am one of those people that loves cottage cheese any way you make it. In the summer time many of my lunches consist of cottage cheese with a little Italian dressing mixed in and a sliced tomato. Now my husband on the other hand, if he walked by and saw me eating that, we would be passing the bucket to him. I think the most important thing here is you tried it, I do not know how many people tell me they do not like something with out ever even trying it first. So props to you for that.

I just did a comparison of cottage cheese and Greek yogurt and they are almost identical. The cheese has 3 more g protein per cup but 10 more cholesterol.

funny how they are the same, but ohhhhhhh so different! :D i will stick with yogurt :D