Cottage Cheese. WTF???? PASS ME THE BUCKET!!

Options

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I cooked rotini pasta the other night, diced up some tomato and chopped some fresh baby spinach leaves, threw it in the pasta after it was cooked & drained, with a big tablespoon of cottage cheese and a little shredded pepperjack and some red pepper flakes, it was the most amazing, delicious pasta I think I've ever eaten.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I've bought this so many times but have never gotten the courage to eat it.
  • kellyannfleming
    Options
    thank goodness I enjoy cottage cheese , for me to get my girls to eat it I have taken pineapples , or really ripe melons and have blendered the daylights to it.The dip apples ,grapes and pretzels in them .This can also be done with cream cheese .I prefer the cottage cheese .It is also good with apples,honey ,raisins and cinnamon .Warm the apples ,cin. and raisins first once cooled add them to the cottage cheese and blend the to a smooth consistency , dip plain graham crackers in them for a nice snack or breakfast.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the other posters; if you don't like it just find something that different that's beneficial to your health goals. Life's too short to be eating stuff you don't like just out of principle.

I have found that there are some brands that I just don't like and others that I'm okay with. I travel for a living and I bring along a cooler and frequently replace the ice in it. I bring cottage cheese and I cut up a fresh pinapple in another container and enjoy the two together.

Agreed. I like cottage cheese, but peanut butter is also a really good source of protein.
  • eprissel
    eprissel Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I hollow chicken breasts and stuff them with cottage cheese and turkey bacon then throw them on the grill or George Foreman, awesome! I also tried making juicy lucys the other day with it and they turned out great.
  • FitLink
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, I love cottage cheese, but LOATHE beans. It's such a shame when you don't enjoy a food which is fantastically healthy.

Before writing cottage cheese off entirely, do try different sorts. I had a savoury one last week that was so repulsive that I literally spat it out.

I have been forcing myself to eat lentils and edamame beans, as I don't believe that the only things you should ever eat are things you love - food after all is fuel and not to be seen as purely a source of pleasure - while I don't dislike those as much as I once did, nothing short of life threatening starvation would make me eat baked beans.

So if you really don't enjoy it, just move on to a food that you do, and congratulate yourself for trying something new. :smile:

I disagree. Food is fuel, but there is no reason not to enjoy it. There are many good sources of protein, and no reason to eat one you dislike. You eat the ones you do like.
  • emuhawk
    emuhawk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    For those who love it (like me) but are concerned about the sodium, my grocery store sells a no-salt-added variety that is 1% milkfat. There's still some salt in it, but not nearly as much. Of course, it doesn't taste nearly as good plain as the full-salt stuff, but if you are mixing it into things or are willing to add some seasoning (I saw someone suggest Mrs. Dash -- that might be good), it definitely works.
  • FitLink
    Options
    I hollow chicken breasts and stuff them with cottage cheese and turkey bacon then throw them on the grill or George Foreman, awesome! I also tried making juicy lucys the other day with it and they turned out great.

OMG that sounds GOOD! Must try!!

Do you wrap the bacon around them or put it inside? If inside, do you cook it first?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    maybe a smoothie is not a bad idea.... i think the problem is it's baby-sick consistency and too sour taste. reminds me of when my babies were small... but not in a good way! :C

Add a scoop of vanilla protein powder, a tablespoon of fat free cheesecake pudding powder and a dash of vanilla extract. Not sour at all.
    Fat free cheesecake pudding powder? Is that with the boxes of puddings?
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I've heard of different ways to eat cottage cheese, but that blitzing technique that you speak of sounds.. icky.. in my personal opinion of course. I'm usually one to eat cottage cheese straight out the carton, or with a little honey drizzled over it, so I'm not used to it being spicy.. only sweet or plain. I wont swear by it, but maybe if you slice up some peaches of a few strawberries, it'll taste okay.
  • besav11
    besav11 Posts: 5
    Options
    Love it with pinapple!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    As with most things the full fat version tastes way better than the reduced fat and fat free varieties. Not saying that its the best choice. LOL
  • mazzyw65
    mazzyw65 Posts: 47
    Options
    I am not sure what you mean by blitzing it into a paste. Do you mean in a food processor or blender? I love cottage cheese, small curd only. I eat it as is, but also like peaches on top.

Some people just don't like the taste or texture, no biggie.

Mmmmm the peaches on top sounds quite yummy!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I HATE it.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Absolutely DISGUSTING plain.......mix in some pineapple or mango or apple
    basically any fruit! I could eat an entire container of it. Not with herbs etc though. :noway:
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It's all about the Breakstone's 2% Small Curd (see http://snackfit.blogspot.com/2010/12/breakstones-2-lowfat-cottage-cheese.html for a funny review). There should be no "juice" in cottage cheese! I like cracked pepper and a tiny smidge of salt on mine. I hate the idea of sweet stuff with cottage cheese though. Yuck. To each their own!!
  • jdennis719
    jdennis719 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I also can eat it straight from the container but sometimes I'll mix it with a container of yogurt (flavored), or put it on a baked potato and even just plop a big spoonful on my salad - for me, I use less dressing when I throw in some cottage cheese.
    I've never added any of the spices, as I've never needed to. To each his own.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    Add sugar-free Jell-O Pudding mix to it. I use white chocolate pudding mix in it, it's pretty good.
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I can only eat the no salt added varieties, which I love. But the regular stuff tastes like straight salt to me and I can't stomach it.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    OP: Are you in the US? I'm in Canada but close to the border, so one of the last times my husband went to the States to do groceries I asked him to pick up some cottage cheese because dairy products are so much cheaper. It was the most vile, disgusting stuff I have ever tasted! So salty!! *barf* Canadian cottage cheese has a much sweeter taste to it (if any taste at all), and is not so dry. I love it with a heaping spoonful of strawberry jam mixed in.
    So if you can, try getting your hands on some Canadian cottage cheese...it might make a difference.