Dissapointed in myself

Replies

• beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    I thought this was a really good article worth posting

http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/fre...h_about_cardio

It has a great explanation of HIIT cardio and what it really is...most people (NOT saying you Banks!) aren't actually performing HIIT according to its purest definition. Just thought it might be helpful or at least interesting!

Becky
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member

It has a great explanation of HIIT cardio and what it really is...most people (NOT saying you Banks!) aren't actually performing HIIT according to its purest definition. Just thought it might be helpful or at least interesting!

Becky

Becky, that link is broken, can you check it and resend?
  • SHBoss1673

Becky

OK I found it. Pretty decent article. I already knew what HIIT training was (exactly the way she described it I'm proud to add :tongue: ) but you make a good point, many people don't grasp hiit training. It is just what it sounds like HIGH INTENSITY INTERVAL TRAINING. You do a cardio routine at MAX capacity for 30 to 60 seconds, rest for 30 to 60 seconds, then do it again. You can't do these for very long (trust me) but if you do them, you get an AMAZING workout from it.

Look up tabata protocol, I do it once a week as one of my HIIT training's. It's nasty. FYI, there are a couple of options for tabata, I'm on the pro option. I.E. 20 seconds hard, 10 seconds rest, repeat 6 times rest 1 minute repeat again 6 times, rest, and again then 5 minute cooldown. It's DEATH I tell you, but you're done in 20 minutes, and it's like 350 calories. Crazyness!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member

Becky

OK I found it. Pretty decent article. I already knew what HIIT training was (exactly the way she described it I'm proud to add :tongue: ) but you make a good point, many people don't grasp hiit training. It is just what it sounds like HIGH INTENSITY INTERVAL TRAINING. You do a cardio routine at MAX capacity for 30 to 60 seconds, rest for 30 to 60 seconds, then do it again. You can't do these for very long (trust me) but if you do them, you get an AMAZING workout from it.

Look up tabata protocol, I do it once a week as one of my HIIT training's. It's nasty. FYI, there are a couple of options for tabata, I'm on the pro option. I.E. 20 seconds hard, 10 seconds rest, repeat 6 times rest 1 minute repeat again 6 times, rest, and again then 5 minute cooldown. It's DEATH I tell you, but you're done in 20 minutes, and it's like 350 calories. Crazyness!

Great article. I knew some of the cardio stuff, but it's soo interesting how you can read from one author to the next about how to do things, and why. Frustrating actually, because who do you believe? This article made great sense though. Will definitely change things once I make it through the 1/2 marathon in 10 days. Thanks guys. Geez Banks, your topics are always a pleasure to learn from.:bigsmile:

Here's my fave post workout smoothie:
    ice
    2 cup skim milk
    2 scoops chocolate whey powder
    1 banana
    1 tbsp flax oil

I call it...Kathy's Funkay Monkay:bigsmile: :glasses:
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member

The problem is, for the amount I'd have to eat, to make a difference, I'm looking at 100 to 150 bucks a month extra. That's pretty steep!

better than drinking and smoking! :glasses:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Thank you for showing us that everyone struggles with something.
    Good luck. We always appreciate your opinion.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Hey i'd take your hot lil bod, over hubby's right now :wink: :laugh: , i'd be upgrading!! wooohooo! :laugh: :laugh:

You amuse me. When my race comes, I will kill you last! :devil:

No No, no need to thank me, it's my reward to you for a job well done! :tongue:

(I know, I'm such a dork!)

After you said that you were an IT guy, this all makes total sense. :laugh:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Banks, I just looked at your pics and I think you look amazing!!! Such an inspiration to all of us here!!
    And I have no doubt that you'll be exactly where you want to be in no time- if anyone on this darn site can do it- it's you!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    Aww, thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind words!
  • SHBoss1673
    and for those that care, here is what I'll be eating today. as you can see, I actually HAD to add in a couple of things I don't necessarily want to eat (like the ice cream) as I NEEDED more fat and carbs, even though they are bad carbs (hey, I deserve it, damn it!)

I haven't been keeping a food diary lately, but I decided I better start again!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/SHBoss1673
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    and for those that care, here is what I'll be eating today. as you can see, I actually HAD to add in a couple of things I don't necessarily want to eat (like the ice cream) as I NEEDED more fat and carbs, even though they are bad carbs (hey, I deserve it, damn it!)

Saw the first pic, but not the second-link isn't working. Guess I should update some pics too...
  • SHBoss1673

Saw the first pic, but not the second-link isn't working. Guess I should update some pics too...

works for me. interesting, try it again?
  • SHBoss1673
    I give you receipe for my Russian stew. That put weigh on you, no?

Ahh, no thanks. I'm good.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    big change in definition from the first pic to the second...you look cut...not so skinny! :laugh:
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    I didn't read all of the posts, but I am in the same situation. I had a BUNCH of calories left over yesterday and had some popcorn, with butter. But, there is a drink that I have made up for myself for after my workouts.
    8 oz whole milk
    1 banana
    1 Tbsp peanut butter
    1 1/2 Tbsp ground flax seed.
    I blend it up and it is yummy! It's right around 350 calories and it is stuff that I always have in the house.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Hope this hasn't been said already, but Banks, there is a cheap whey protein available at wal-mart called Body Fortress. It's cheap, about 13$ for a large tub. However it contains small amounts of creatine, and since you know your stuff I won't get into that. It does contain all amino acids to my knowledge - it was recommended to me as a "cheap beginner's quality" protein supplement by my cousin who used to do competitive lifting.

The nice thing is, if you're trying to gain a little weight and get better definition the creatine monohydrate may help a little.
  • SHBoss1673
    Hope this hasn't been said already, but Banks, there is a cheap whey protein available at wal-mart called Body Fortress. It's cheap, about 13$ for a large tub. However it contains small amounts of creatine, and since you know your stuff I won't get into that. It does contain all amino acids to my knowledge - it was recommended to me as a "cheap beginner's quality" protein supplement by my cousin who used to do competitive lifting.

The nice thing is, if you're trying to gain a little weight and get better definition the creatine monohydrate may help a little.

Thanks Mark, but it has soy in it. I am actively trying to avoid anything with soy in it. I ended up buying
    Ads Lean Mass builder, it has no soy in it, one of the few. And has all the amino acids in it. 30 g protein, and tastes decent with milk or even water. Not overly expensive either.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member

Thanks Mark, but it has soy in it. I am actively trying to avoid anything with soy in it. I ended up buying
    Ads Lean Mass builder, it has no soy in it, one of the few. And has all the amino acids in it. 30 g protein, and tastes decent with milk or even water. Not overly expensive either.

Not that I'm trying to gain weight but if you don't mind me asking, why are you avoiding soy?
This discussion has been closed.