Dissapointed in myself

1235»

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Hope this hasn't been said already, but Banks, there is a cheap whey protein available at wal-mart called Body Fortress. It's cheap, about 13$ for a large tub. However it contains small amounts of creatine, and since you know your stuff I won't get into that. It does contain all amino acids to my knowledge - it was recommended to me as a "cheap beginner's quality" protein supplement by my cousin who used to do competitive lifting.

The nice thing is, if you're trying to gain a little weight and get better definition the creatine monohydrate may help a little.

Thanks Mark, but it has soy in it. I am actively trying to avoid anything with soy in it. I ended up buying
    Ads Lean Mass builder, it has no soy in it, one of the few. And has all the amino acids in it. 30 g protein, and tastes decent with milk or even water. Not overly expensive either.

Not that I'm trying to gain weight but if you don't mind me asking, why are you avoiding soy?

It's not as big of a deal for women, but soy has phytoestrogen in it, and while it would take a lot to affect my testosterone and HGH levels (by most accounts) there is a lot of hidden soy already in much of the foods we eat, and I'll not add to it if I don't have to. Plus the jury's still out on soy. Soy products have some pretty heavyweight backers, which possibly tarnishes every study, article, and advertisement out there. I'm just being cautious, if I can choose things that don't have soy in them, I do so.
    The studies done on soy have some pretty scary implications if they are accurate (that has yet to be seen, there has only been a few studies done to date).
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Soy has been linked to estrogen like changes(very bad in men) , some are convinced it is bad for women as well. Some connect to an increased risk of breast cancer. Not to mention that I believe (don't have my book in front of me so apolgies if my number is a bit off) over 80% of soybeans are genetically modified. After studying the subject on my own, I personally also avoid it.
    Becky
  • SHBoss1673
    Soy has been linked to estrogen like changes(very bad in men) , some are convinced it is bad for women as well. Some connect to an increased risk of breast cancer. Not to mention that I believe (don't have my book in front of me so apolgies if my number is a bit off) over 80% of soybeans are genetically modified. After studying the subject on my own, I personally also avoid it.
    Becky

And thyroid problems, that's the BIG one.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    You are so right...forgot to add that one...duh! I have a hypothyroid daughter so I should've remembered that one first!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Tried again, and the link worked. I don't think you look too skinny. Maybe you need to totally change things up. :huh:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Here's my question - and I ask myself this alot of this site because I see it everywhere - but

When is enough enough?

How long are you going to rack your brain to look just a little bit better? What lengths are you going to go to?

When is the stopping point?

Look at the topic - Dissapointed in myself

WHAT??

Banks, you are beautiful and an inspiration and have come a long long way. How could you be disappointed in yourself (and the other people who need to lose just 5 more pounds/ gain more muscle mass/ look like Spears or Hugh Jackman (wolverine mmnnn))?

Just a thought....and not trying to argue....and something that I've always wondered.
  • SHBoss1673
    Here's my question - and I ask myself this alot of this site because I see it everywhere - but

When is enough enough?

How long are you going to rack your brain to look just a little bit better? What lengths are you going to go to?

When is the stopping point?

Look at the topic - Dissapointed in myself

WHAT??

Banks, you are beautiful and an inspiration and have come a long long way. How could you be disappointed in yourself (and the other people who need to lose just 5 more pounds/ gain more muscle mass/ look like Spears or Hugh Jackman (wolverine mmnnn))?

Just a thought....and not trying to argue....and something that I've always wondered.

It's a good point. But maybe I should be clear, this was my goal from the very beginning. When I first started I said I wanted to get down between 175 and 180, then I want to get back up to about 190 by gaining about 10 lbs of muscle.

Believe me Anna, I hear where you're coming from. But I did a lot of research into what my ideal weight would be, and considering my height, age, and build, 190 with about 8 to 10% body fat is just about perfect by my standards. Once I reach that, I'll basically just continue to maintain. You know, lift maybe 3 times a week (not as hard as now, but...), do 2 days of moderate cardio, and keep an eye on my food (not as close as I do now, but still, stay moderate).
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Ahhh, I understand. Thanks for clearing that up.

It bothers me to see so many people do that to themselves...always feeling like they are never good enough. I take it to heart because I have a tendancy to be that way. I am extremely critical and hard on myself and there are times when I feel that I am not good enough or pretty enough or whatever.

I'm at that point right now where I am doing a lot of research to find where I should be.

By the way....I'm in IT too...been in it for 13 years (and I've been a network admin myself). I half wondered if all IT people are as analytical as I am...lol, as of right now, so it seems...

Thanks for answering my question!
  • SHBoss1673
    Ahhh, I understand. Thanks for clearing that up.

It bothers me to see so many people do that to themselves...always feeling like they are never good enough. I take it to heart because I have a tendancy to be that way. I am extremely critical and hard on myself and there are times when I feel that I am not good enough or pretty enough or whatever.

I'm at that point right now where I am doing a lot of research to find where I should be.

By the way....I'm in IT too...been in it for 13 years (and I've been a network admin myself). I half wondered if all IT people are as analytical as I am...lol, as of right now, so it seems...

Thanks for answering my question!

LOL, my wife wouldn't call it analytical (although she might use the first four letters sometimes:tongue: ) normally she just calls it annoying. :ohwell:
This discussion has been closed.