Which exercise do you do first? Cardio or strength training?

Options

Replies

• Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Answer: it depends. If you are strength training do weights first. Cardio first will prevent you from reaching your max potential (due to fatigue etc). The less intense your weight training is, the less relevant the cardio debate becomes.

I'm pretty intense with weight lifting so I notice a difference if I do cardio first or not (I'm usually 5-10LBS weaker, exercise depending).I also like doing cardio post workout because it promotes blood flow through the muscles and helps with recovery and prevents stiff/soreness.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    Most people recommend doing the strength first and cardio after.

I do the cardio first myself. 20 minutes of intense cardio on the elliptical or rowing machine then 45-60 of weight training. I like to make sure Im really warmed up and the blood is pumping before I start lifting. 36 years old and want to make sure I dont injure myself. Have not noticed a difference in strength doing it this way.

If you are only doing 20 minutes of cardio, it won't make a major difference. They say to do 5 minutes to warm up your muscles and to then do a warm up set with each muscle group. But, I do like to do 10-20 minutes sometimes first. (Knowing that your muscles ARE warmed up after 5 - I feel like I can justify not doing the warm up sets. But I can't support this with facts.)
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Strength first then cardio
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I start with cardio to get my heart rate up to burn more calories while weight training. Then after weights I finish with the rest of my cardio
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    people make a good case for both, so i say you should try both and do what you like. I always like Cardio first, get the heart rate up first...but its all personal preference.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I used to do cardio first to get the blood flowing and then strength, but have switched things up. If I can't help it, I don't do more than a mile warm up before lifting, and then I do my high intensity cardio afterward. I found that doing cardio first compromised my muscles too much to make consistant progress in my lifting, but lifting first does not have an adverse impact on my cardio.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    Thanks all! I've read that you can do either first, but I would agree to do cardio first, then weights.

Hey, its just my 2 cents. I don't know your goals but I do know there is a LOT of misinformation in these responses. If you want to get lean weights are crucial...they are not a "cool down"

You certainly don't *have* to do weights first but a lot this reasoning on why you do cardio first is based on approaches to fat loss that quite frankly aren't very well researched.

I'd be more than happy to explain further if you want. Either way, best of luck in your goals!

Yes, this!
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I was told to do strength first because the cardio my make me to tired to lift. I tried it and found that after lifting I was to tired to do cardio and wouldn't do my full 30 minutes. So, I do my cardio first.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    Thanks all! I've read that you can do either first, but I would agree to do cardio first, then weights.

Hey, its just my 2 cents. I don't know your goals but I do know there is a LOT of misinformation in these responses. If you want to get lean weights are crucial...they are not a "cool down"

You certainly don't *have* to do weights first but a lot this reasoning on why you do cardio first is based on approaches to fat loss that quite frankly aren't very well researched.

I'd be more than happy to explain further if you want. Either way, best of luck in your goals!

My goal is fat loss. I've been doing alot more weight training than cardio, but I need more cardio to burn the fat. In my opinion. I feel by doing weights first would be better because you're not as tired and would have better form, than the other way around. But I guess I'll see how I feel when I start doing both.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I don't have the science to back it up, but everything I've read says not to put the two together if you can avoid it:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek34.htm

I've actually seen much better results since greatly reducing my cardio. Much less lean body mass loss (I actually gained 0.5 lb of lean mass for the first time!) and I'm still steadily losing weight and not hungry. I have increased my non-exercise activity by just making myself walk more throughout the day.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    I strongly think that strength is best. Being fresh on your lifts allows you to push harder and heavier (which is exactly what you should be doing). ****It's also safer not to be tired****. Cardio can easily be done after. Just do dynamic warm up of 3-5 minutes before weights and do warm up sets on your first weight sets.

Cardio may have a better "burn" but weights are how you get LEAN.

THIS exactly. I've noticed better muscle build now that I've been doing strength first. Much safer to do cardio after.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I was told by my personal trainer to do weights first and then cardio but I think this is because I am a type 1 diabetic and the cardio makes my sugar drop too low to then do weights.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I do the strength first. I have no problems getting my heart rate up during lifting. Try doing heavy bench, run over and do 10 pull ups and then finish that set off with jump ups on a bench. Do that type of triple setting for 3 sets. 27 sets of lifts in 30 min.

Then I'll do my cardio. (jumprope). If I was trying to maximize my running, I might do that first or stagger the days
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I strongly think that strength is best. Being fresh on your lifts allows you to push harder and heavier (which is exactly what you should be doing). ****It's also safer not to be tired****. Cardio can easily be done after. Just do dynamic warm up of 3-5 minutes before weights and do warm up sets on your first weight sets.

Great advice
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I've heard both ways...I prefer to do cardio first as it gets my heart rate up and I feel more mentally and physically ready not just to lift weights but to push myself doing it. There is a valid argument for weights first as some people may feel wiped after cardio and not be able to get the best strength training experience due to this. It really depends on what moves you.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options

This!
    You can't work the muscles as hard if you are already fatigued from cardio. And your form can go to crap if your muscles are already tired.

I agree with these posters! I am no expert and am learning right along with everyone else but between reading New Rules of Lifting for Women and speaking to a very well respected Personal Trainer at my gym it is best to alternate lifting and cardio days.

If you lift as you should -heavy- then you are not going to feel like doing a cardio after your lift. Do a 5-10 minute warm-up, lift and get out of there. Do your cardios on your "off" days. I use to do the lifting and then the cardios but I wasn't lifting near heavy enough and now that I have changed up my thought process and changed how I go about it I am finally seeing a change in my body. Slowly but surely.
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    What about how your body is composed? What type of body muscle fibers are you mostly composed of? I think i have an equal balance of fast and slow twitch fibers. So i can run for an hour and then lift my maxes afterward or vice versa. Of course those with more fast twitch fibers might not be that much effective after a long run because the don't have enough slow twitch fibers. Their fast twitch fibers may be used up and can't be used for heavy or power lifting. Does this make sense?? That might be the reason why it is different for everyone.
  • fitnhealthykaren
    Options
    I actually do 10 min of cardio first, then strength, then 30-50 more min of cardio. If I do all my cardio first, I tend to not lift as much.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It's best not to do both on the same day, as they actually contraindicate each other. But, sometimes we have no choice. That being the case, warming up with a few minutes of cardio first is fine. But, strength should always be done first. Yes, cardio will boost your heart rate and so it will be higher when you do your weight training but you are not actually burning more calories this way. It's misleading.
    The reason to do strength first is that you want to be able to lift your max weights and have your best form. If your muscles are already tired, you get muscle fatigue sooner and can't lift as much or for as many reps and so you don't actually get the full benefits of the weight training.
    Of course this also works for the cardio - if your muscles are fatigued from weights, you can't work to your max. But the convention is.... strength before cardio.
    But you can see why they will interfere with each other on the same day.

con·tra·in·di·cate   /ˌkɒntrəˈɪndɪˌkeɪt/ verb (used with object), con·tra·in·di·cat·ed, con·tra·in·di·cat·ing. Medicine/Medical .
    (of a symptom or condition) to give indication against the advisability of (a particular or usual remedy or treatment).
  • Manabug01
    Manabug01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Now I read this:
    http://healthnews.ediets.com/fitness-exercise/ask-raphael-cardio-or-weights-first.html

You should do weights before cardio...UGH...

You can read 20 million articles that all say something different but do what feels best, to you. If you have the energy after cardio to complete all your reps/sets properly, then do it. Do it different ways, change things up and do what feels best.