Which exercise do you do first? Cardio or strength training?

Options

Replies

• angelapolite
    Options
    I try to do both but I start with strength traing, then cardio. The day's I cant make it to gym I do extra cardio at track, or around the block. I have tried it both ways and doing cardio before training I was beat.

That's how I think I'd feel. I want to make sure I have energy for my strength training first.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have to split it up, 15 minutes cardio, 25 minutes lifting, 15 minutes cardio. If I can hack it, i will do 30 minutes cardio at the end
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I strongly think that strength is best. Being fresh on your lifts allows you to push harder and heavier (which is exactly what you should be doing). ****It's also safer not to be tired****. Cardio can easily be done after. Just do dynamic warm up of 3-5 minutes before weights and do warm up sets on your first weight sets.

Cardio may have a better "burn" but weights are how you get LEAN.

^^^This exactly!!
  • dedarlin
    dedarlin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i would definitely NOT reccomend strength training after a seriously hard cardio session! once i went to a 1hr kickboxing class and then tried to do biceps and triceps (with a 30 minute break AND snack) and i thought i would die, or vomit, or both! i had nothing left to give to my weight lifting and made myself feel sick for the rest of the day by trying! personally after that experience if i am going to do strength training i will warm up with 5 minutes of jumping jacks and push ups or 10 minutes on the stairs or treadmill. good luck, hope you find what works for you!
  • tiffaneenicole
    Options
    Hey everyone! I am a personal trainer and if you are AT ALL focused on gaining muscle, please, please, please do your weight training before your cardio!

Tiffany
    www.tiffanystaples.com
  • angelapolite
    Options
    i would definitely NOT reccomend strength training after a seriously hard cardio session! once i went to a 1hr kickboxing class and then tried to do biceps and triceps (with a 30 minute break AND snack) and i thought i would die, or vomit, or both! i had nothing left to give to my weight lifting and made myself feel sick for the rest of the day by trying! personally after that experience if i am going to do strength training i will warm up with 5 minutes of jumping jacks and push ups or 10 minutes on the stairs or treadmill. good luck, hope you find what works for you!

Thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    What about how your body is composed? What type of body muscle fibers are you mostly composed of? I think i have an equal balance of fast and slow twitch fibers. So i can run for an hour and then lift my maxes afterward or vice versa. Of course those with more fast twitch fibers might not be that much effective after a long run because the don't have enough slow twitch fibers. Their fast twitch fibers may be used up and can't be used for heavy or power lifting. Does this make sense?? That might be the reason why it is different for everyone.

Again, i think it is how your body is composed. And you can train yourself to be start off either way. But you should know how your body react when you start off with either way to determine what is more effective.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Honestly if it's fairly easy for you you aren't doing something right......at any fitness level. Do you do straight cardio or HIIT? I greatly prefer HIIT and get it knocked out in about 25 total.

I do straight 20 minutes full out. And when I say "easy" I mean I dont feel wiped out afterwards. Not that it was a cake walk. A couple minutes rest and Im ready to go. I cant say the same after lifting. I am crawling out of there after lifting. No way I would want to do any cardio after that.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    I save my cardio for the end of my workouts. Why burn energy on cardio before lifting (if you do both on the same day)? I don't stretch either. You ever see a cheetah stretch before going after a gazelle?

Never saw a cheetah posting on MFP either, though.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    bump
  • Nigerianebony
    Options
    I save my cardio for the end of my workouts. Why burn energy on cardio before lifting (if you do both on the same day)? I don't stretch either. You ever see a cheetah stretch before going after a gazelle?

Never saw a cheetah posting on MFP either, though.

Lol!!!!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    In the same workout: Strength training followed by cardio. You're supposed to lift weights with your full strength. Now, for an ordinary exerciser, it won't kill you if you do the cardio first, but strength first is the better practice.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    What about how your body is composed? What type of body muscle fibers are you mostly composed of? I think i have an equal balance of fast and slow twitch fibers. So i can run for an hour and then lift my maxes afterward or vice versa. Of course those with more fast twitch fibers might not be that much effective after a long run because the don't have enough slow twitch fibers. Their fast twitch fibers may be used up and can't be used for heavy or power lifting. Does this make sense?? That might be the reason why it is different for everyone.

Again, i think it is how your body is composed. And you can train yourself to be start off either way. But you should know how your body react when you start off with either way to determine what is more effective.

I am not an expert (as in I don't have a degree etc) so perhaps someone else can help but I have never heard low/fast twitch fibers described in this context. I

don't want to pick a fight or be impolite but I just don't frankly believe you can run for an hour then lift your max. That or your max is not your max. That or you are Olympic caliber athlete and specimen of peak human condition and I would love to be you.
  • angelapolite
    Options

I am not an expert (as in I don't have a degree etc) so perhaps someone else can help but I have never heard low/fast twitch fibers described in this context. I

don't want to pick a fight or be impolite but I just don't frankly believe you can run for an hour then lift your max. That or your max is not your max. That or you are Olympic caliber athlete and specimen of peak human condition and I would love to be you.

I agree
  • mandy_freeman
    Options
    I do a cardio warm up then strength then back to cardio for about 30 mins.
  • JJJJ25
    JJJJ25 Posts: 37
    Options
    Science says do strength first - you're fresh and able to lift more. Practicality says do the one you're more likely to skip if you put it off.
  • Nigerianebony
    Options
    Well I just did it last Saturday. i went up on the max. I am about to do it again this Saturday and start off with strength. I usually compare back to back weekends to validate. So i am pretty sure I am doing my max. And I use to be a college sprinter. After college I start marathon training.
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I do 10 minutes cardio for warm up, then strength, and then finish my cardio- usually another 20-30 minutes depending on how long I've been there and if my son is at home asleep (with dad) or awake and waiting to eat! lol!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    are you saying to seperate work outs in a day? not like, one right after the other? if that is the case, when i do two-a-days i personally like to lift first thing in the morning before the gym gets really packed. my cardio i do in the afternoons.

i try not to do them right after the other, but if i do, i do a short cardio session (30 minutes or less) and a simple lifting session (45 minutes).

i do not shorten my warm up or cool down in either case. if you don't have time to do these, then you don't have time to work out.
  • Nigerianebony
    Options

I agree

I forgot to quote. Here is a repost

Well I just did it last Saturday. i went up on the max. I am about to do it again this Saturday and start off with strength. I usually compare back to back weekends to validate. So i am pretty sure I am doing my max. And I use to be a college sprinter. After college I started marathon training.