Garbonzo Beans/Chickpeas...What Can I Make?

Replies

• mangojh2
    mangojh2 Posts: 175 Member
    Bump
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I make chickpea flax seed meal blondies for my kids. They have no idea they are in there and they gobble them up.

Blondies? What is the recipe for this?
  • mstclair03
    mstclair03 Posts: 151
    http://www.101cookbooks.com/ingredient/chickpea

I personally made the Pan-Fried Chickpea Salad...Ah-Mazing! There are so many recipes on this blog that look sooooo good!
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    My husband had this when we ate out last night and said it was delicious. :)

chickpeas romesco
    This is a great potluck recipe, from Veganomicon-The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook

1/2 cup sliced almonds
    28oz can diced tomatoes (fire-roasted are especially good)
    2 roasted red bell peppers
    3 Tbsp olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, minced finely
    2 shallots, minced finely
    1 red serrano chile, seeded and minced finely
    1/4 cup white wine or vegetable broth
    2 tsp red wine vinegar
    2 tsp sugar
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crumbled
    2 15-oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
    freshly ground pepper

Using a food processor, grind the almonds into very fine almost powdery crumbs. Place in small bowl and set aside.

Puree the tomatoes and roasted peppers until smooth. Pour mixture into a large bowl and set aside.

Preheat medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Sautee garlic, shallots and chile in oil until shallots turn golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Pour in the white wine to dissolve any browned bits of garlic stuck to the bottom of the pan. After a minute, add the tomato/pepper mixture, vinegar, sugar, thyme and rosemary. Cover, bring to a near boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the ground almonds and stir the mixture until they are completely combined. Fold in the chickpeas and simmer uncovered for 20-25 mins, until the sauce is slightly reduced and the chickpeas are very tender. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper, and allow to cool for 5-10 mins before serving.
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Chocolate Cookie dough dip!! Tastes just like the real thing!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/23/want-to-eat-an-entire-bowl-of-cookie-dough/

and that blog has ALL KINDS of healthy (and vegan if you prefer) recipes for deserts...cookies, brownies, ice cream, shakes, dips..all kinds of yummy things! I have been making no bake cookies that have zero sugar and zero flour or grains...they are made with raisins, vanilla, peanuts, peanut butter and cocoa powder...that's it you blend and it makes a cookie dough and tastes JUST LIKE peanut butter cookie dough! yum!!
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    I make chickpea flax seed meal blondies for my kids. They have no idea they are in there and they gobble them up.

Blondies? What is the recipe for this?

Here is one
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/18/chocolate-chip-blondies-and-theyre-good-for-you/
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Mmm. I love roasted chickpeas and falafel, of course. I also like a simple salad with greens, balsamic mushrooms, walnuts, artichoke hearts, asparagus, heart of palm, chickpeas, dried cranberries and walnuts. Socca (a type of chickpea-based flatbread) is great, too, and can be made with fresh chickpeas or chickpea flour. Sometimes when I'm making up a big batch of roasted veggies I will toss in a couple of cups of chickpeas, too. I love sweet potato dip (steamed sweet potatoes, hummus, almond butter, nutritional yeast, miso and whatever spices I'm feeling at the moment). I'm also a big fan of Punk Rock Chickpea gravy: http://low-cholesterol.food.com/recipe/punkrock-chickpea-gravy-304633 It's so delicious over kale.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Bump :)
  • RoxyLDN
    RoxyLDN Posts: 96 Member
    Cold: in salads
    Warm: mixed with ratatouille
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Thank you!
  • Eve23
    I see lots of canned garbonzo bean recipes. Anyone know what you can do with the frozen or how they taste? My mom brought me some green garbonzos that are frozen. I am kinda at a loss.
  • This
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/moroccan-spiced-chickpea-soup-recipe/index.html

I substituted one of the cans for a chopped chicken breast. Instead of blending half the soup, I blended the whole thing and served over rice like a curry.
  • JAGgirl47
    JAGgirl47 Posts: 70 Member
    Fun in a stew with whole wheat macaroni noodles, diced tomatoes, yellow squash, portabella mushrooms and garlic. I also use them in minestrone soup. Great in salad for extra fiber.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Salt & Vinegar Chickpeas. Delicious!
  • Eve23
    good ideas
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Falafel. Hummus. Did anyone suggest Chana masala? Also, you can put them in soups and on salads. Do a search for African peanut yam stew.... One of my favorite dishes and has chick peas.
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Curry. Or mash them up and mix them with veggie mayo and veggies and make sandwiches with them. They're good roasted with a little olive oil and spices as wel!

I was going to post the same. I love chickpea salad sandwiches. Mash 'em up, but leave the mash pretty chunky, mix with mayo or greek yogurt, or squished avocado, and add seasonings. I put spicy Indian pickles in there, too, like Patak's hot mango relish.
  • Speazzy
    Speazzy Posts: 79 Member
    The most delicious creation ever created...Chocolate Chickpea Cake!!!

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/01/chocolate-garbanzo-bean-cake-recipe.html

Most amazing chickpea desert, although I will be attempting the blondies at some point!! Enjoy!!!
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    Chickpeas and artichokes, roasted with some olive oil and garlic. Delish!