Guys, how young is too young in terms of dating?

Options

Replies

• WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I have had two relationships with partners 20 years older than me (one male one female). Both started beautifully and ended horribly.

^This, also
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    My daughter is going to be 18 soon and if she came home with a guy my age he would not be my age very long. Ask yourself what does a 30 year old man want with an 18 year old? To me nothing worth while.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    According to the rule of seven... no.

Rule of seven:
    Used to determine a minumum age of potential partner.
    Divide the person's age by 2, then add 7.
    For example:
    Take a guy's age/2 +7
    or
    24/2 + 7 = 19, as long as the guy/girl is atleast that age, it's okay.

It's pub rules.
  • Littlemisssunshine79
    Options
    I'm 32 - so no one younger than 30!!!!

Sorry I am in a different space at the moment! LOL
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I dated a 18 yo when I was 27. I'll never do it again. I wanted to hit her with a shovel every time she spoke, or told me about her day. Sex with a hot 18 yo wasn't enough to make listening to her worth it.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    It all depends on the maturity levels of both parties. But for me, I don't think I could date "younger" again. I'm very happy with my man that's 4yrs older.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    However, in my early 20s i was attracted to almost 30s...........The youngest guy I have ever been attracted to was 28. I waited. I don't know if that plan can be recommended, hahaha. Even now that i'm 26 it's late 20s -mid 30s guys. My ex is 35 and he turned out to be silly.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't think a 12-year age difference is a big deal, generally speaking. But your respective stages in life are important to consider. It's an entirely different thing for a 40-year-old to date a 28-year-old than for a 30-year-old to date an 18-year-old.

There are always exceptions, but for the most part, no matter how mature you think you are at 18, you do not know enough about life to have a successful relationship with a 30-year-old man.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    It really just depends on the people involved. I met my wife when I was 25 and she was 17; we got married a few years later, and its been over 20 years now.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    half your age +7 = good to go.

This is the rule...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    No chance.

I know a lot of people will say age is just a number, but when you are talking say me at 28, dating an 18 yr old its different stages of life. Not so much an issue say if you were 40 dating a 56 yr old. You are midlife, done the partying, may have been mairried/had kids moved out of home.

Im looking for someone I can do fun stuff with but also look to settling down into something much more solid than I will ever get out of someone who has just left high school in the last couple of years.

After my experiences, everyones will be different, I probably wouldnt date anyone younger than 22-24. Thats just me though :glasses:

And, see, this is why I say you can't say for sure. At 18, I was a mother and much more mature and settled than a lot of women who are my current age (mid-30s). I never was interested in partying. I have never been much of a drinker, never did drugs. I've always had goals and ambitions and they haven't changed from then to now. I was a VERY mature 18. So, to assume someone that age is a certain way is just an assumption and not always correct.

You may very well meet a much younger woman some day who fits what you're looking for.

Never say never. ;-)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the person, but a huge factor is where are they in life? At my age, dating someone that is even around 35, they still might want marriage, kids, etc. I'm done with all that. Finding someone closer to my age will more likely mean that they understand things. They have their kids, they've been married, and we're on the same page with where we are with our lives.

But, if you are really into someone, all that might not matter and you can work around it. I guess age plays a role, but it's not definitive.
  • loislane22
    Options
    I dated a 18 yo when I was 27. I'll never do it again. I wanted to hit her with a shovel every time she spoke, or told me about her day. Sex with a hot 18 yo wasn't enough to make listening to her worth it.

^ :laugh:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If there's grass in the field, play ball!

If I weren't married there's still no way I'd date an 18 year old. That's WAY too old.

Ok seriously though, anything post-college I'd consider.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Depends on the lady in question. I'm going to be 35 in a couple weeks, and I've only dated younger than me once. It didn't turn out so well due to her being in a different place in life than I am at (I'm not a college frat boy, that's about where she was at in life)

I've learned that I won't judge a woman by her age, but the stereotype will be there until she proves otherwise. I typically date older women or women my own age.
  • dragonsheart84
    Options
    My husband is 35 and I am 28. there is an 8 year difference between us but because we grew up in about the same era, we find that we have a lot in common. My children's father is 16 years old than I am and I wanted to kill him a lot of the time because he was mentally only about my age and it wasn't working. I am mature for my age so everyone tells me anyway.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Im 38, 39 in a mnth and feel comfy with the 33+/40's range
    no way nooooo way in their 20's
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and my fiance's 47. We're technically 25 years apart and we met when I was 18. It's all dependent on the individuals.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    One thing, at 47, I'm planning for retirement. I do not plan to still be working in ten years from now. Thats tough for someone that is 30 to even fathom. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. It's easy to say, "age is just a number", but I think there are important differences at different stages of life that define an age range. Not always, but typically.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    At 16 I was with a 26 year old and waaaaaay more mature than him. My fiance is 31 I'm 26, I think we are both on the same page. He has 2 kids aged 10 and 11 now, that's never bothered me. Hed obviously had a lot more life experience than me, but we were both ready to settle down, and he accepts I'm still learning and growing. X