Guys, how young is too young in terms of dating?

Options

Replies

• Candi8099
    Candi8099 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    im 34, partner is 26.

I'm 31 (will be 32 this year), fiance' just turned 25.
  • foxy2311
    foxy2311 Posts: 179
    Options
    When I was 26 I dated someone almost 5 years younger than me. I'm now 30 and engaged to a 38 year old. It all depends on the person. I think being 30 (and if I were single) I could not date someone 18. LIke a previous poster stated, I'd feel like I was babysitting.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    When I was 18, I dated a 33 year old for FIVE years. Thank you baby Jesus lyin' there in your ghost manger, just lookin' at your Baby Einstein developmental videos, learnin' 'bout shapes and colors we didn't get married and I married someone closer to my age (that wouldn't date an 18 year old). Ironically, he is NOW 33 -- but I"m 29.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    I'm 35 in 3 weeks... my fella is 27.
    I was 30 when we got together and he had just turned 23.

I wouldn't swap him for the world. The age difference doesn't even get acknowledged.

Definitely down to the individual I say.

N'aww that's lovely :flowerforyou: Someone I work with is 27 and her boyfriend is 20. His family object very strongly and make her feel very unwelcome when they see her but despite this they're still going out after 12 months. Sometimes it is just true love and soul mates and like you said, age doesn't come into it.

It can tricky when the youngest person is still quite young. I did wonder if I was just having a moment after turning 30 ;) But only for about 3 minutes and then I didn't care :)

If your colleague was 37 and her fella was 30, I wonder if her family would mind so much.

There isn't anything you can do about a person's age so you may as well just go by the person they are and how they treat other humans.
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Tonight, I was watching New Girl (one of my favorite shows) and one of the characters (who is like early 30s) freaked out when he found out the girl he was dating was only 18. This got me thinking because I'm 18 (though people always tell me I look a lot older) and the guys I usually am attracted to are mid 20s to early 30s.

So guys, Would you date a girl who's 18? How young is too young for you? Would it depend on the girl? Discuss.

When I was 30 I would have played with your mind emotions and very much your body and left you emotional scarred but as I have gotten older and developed a sense of morality and responsibility there is really nothing I have in common with an 18 year. Old child my Life experience is to vast varied and mature for us to gave anything to relate to. What we going talk about? I'm thinking about 401ks and the presidential election. Your thinking about Justin Bieber and the new Twilight movie. Date closer to your age don't let men use you for sex.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It does depend on maturity levels mostly.

The way I see it, 18 is an adult, there is nothing that could be seen as "wrong" with dating an 18 year old no matter how much older the other person is, it's down to choice. If that 18 year old is very mature, a lot of 30 year olds won't care, but then again, most 18 year olds are not that mature. From what I've seen, men are more open to dating women younger than them, compared to women dating younger men.

My partner and I started seeing each other when I was 15, he was 19. Not a huge age difference, but it is when you're that young. We're still together now, 21 and 25, so obviously it hasn't been an issue at all.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    My husband is 8 years older than me. I was 21, and he was 29 when we met. It worked for us. But 18 is harder. It's awkward when you can't go to the bar with your boyfriend.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    When I was 18-23 or so, I never dated any man under 30. I was never attracted to immature "brah" types and was always far more mature than my years. Most of my friends were over 25 when I was 18. Strangely enough, my husband is only two years older than me. I was 26, and he was 28 when we got married.
  • Candi8099
    Candi8099 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people will say age is just a number, but when you are talking say me at 28, dating an 18 yr old its different stages of life.

^THIS

Agreed! Maturity level, life experiences, etc put a person in different stages in life. You said that perfectly! These things will make or break relationships; at least for me anyway. If it isn't there, there wouldn't be a chance! The lack of the "he said/she said drama, the better. :laugh:
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You do look a lot older than your age but don't get caught up with those old men! They don't see you as you think they do! I don't care how intelligent or mature you think you are, you really aren't in comparison.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    When I was 18, I had a crush on a guy who was 25. I asked him out, but he turned me down because I wasn't 21. He wanted somebody he could go out and drink with. I suggested being his designated driver, but he still wasn't interested. Looking back, I think it was just because he worked with my mom, and that seemed awkward to him.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    You do look a lot older than your age but don't get caught up with those old men! They don't see you as you think they do! I don't care how intelligent or mature you think you are, you really aren't in comparison.

That's an awful lot of judging a book by it's cover....wow
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I've always dated older then me not much older, but I also find my self attracted to men in their 30's and I am 26. I don't want a guy younger then me but I think this is because I have always been very mature and want someone I can relate to.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

LOL Wow...
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I don't think age is a major factor but maturity and place in life is. I have raised my children and love the idea of living life for me for awhile.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'll be 33 next month, and the girl I'm seeing just turned 22 last month. I see a lot of people talking about "different stages in life" and that sort of thing, but it really depends on the person. She is FAR more mature, responsible, and "settled down" than I am. In fact, I just joked to her last night that I'm way more of a 22-year-old than she is. :)
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

This is such a joke.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    When I was 18, I dated a 33 year old for FIVE years. Thank you baby Jesus lyin' there in your ghost manger, just lookin' at your Baby Einstein developmental videos, learnin' 'bout shapes and colors we didn't get married and I married someone closer to my age (that wouldn't date an 18 year old). Ironically, he is NOW 33 -- but I"m 29.

LOLOLOLOLOL!
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    It's all depends on the people in question and what they are looking for.

When I was 23 I briefly dated a guy that was 32. I was young and all about having fun, I think he was starting to get the urge to settle down. So we were miles away from being what each other was looking for. We did have our fun for a little while, but I think it did bother him when his friends would point out how much younger I was. In all fairness when he would call, my roommates would answer the phone and call out to me.. "Heather.. it's your dad", which I'm sure he didn't like hearing either.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I think 18 is a little young for a 30 year old to date. 25 or younger not necessarily, but anything above that and the age difference is a little too much.