Guys, how young is too young in terms of dating?

Options

Replies

• Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't want to date someone that young. My brother is almost 17 and I think he and his friends are incredibly immature and annoying. Not that everyone is at that age, but I dont' think most teenagers are looking to play house with someone decently older than them.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Oh hell no. I'm 35 and that would just be creepy. The lowest I'd go is maybe 25, and even they seem really young.
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My grand daughters are 7, 5, and 3

If I am still alive they will not be date ready until they are 50. Only then can they double date, with a chaperone.
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I think 18 is a little young for a 30 year old...

I know that people mature differently, and everyone is different, but when you are 18 there is just so much you don't yet know about yourself. You haven't seen that much, yet. In psychiatry we are taught that a person's personality is not fixated until 25 years old (on average), and I really think there's a lot of truth to that. Maybe someone will reach that point at 22, maybe some will at 28, but at 18? Doubtful.

You also shouldn't exclude guys your own age because you see yourself as so much more mature than they are. Some of them might surprise you, and actually, I think THAT is a little judgmental.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Well it isn't a concern for me, I am happily married. However, when I was dating, I found that age could be a factor as well as other things. First, age is really an initial indicator of maturity (in life). There are many things that for me when I was dating were loosely tied with age that I would consider as being age related and reasons to discriminate based on age.

1. Being divorced (as I was). This was important since it means we have already been down that road and marriage wasn't this sort of fairy tale idea, but a reality and we both would have learned some lessons regarding teamwork.

2. Having kids. This was important to me because I have a kid and children change your life. You go from you being the center of your own universe to your child being the center of your universe. Priorities change and without that annealing process of life, there will be differences in fundamental ideals.

3. Living on their own. Important.

There were few other things, but largely all the things above happen over the course of years and it is the process of living it that makes people more compatible.

So this is why age would matter to me, but age alone is certainly not the deciding factor.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You do look a lot older than your age but don't get caught up with those old men! They don't see you as you think they do! I don't care how intelligent or mature you think you are, you really aren't in comparison.

My bad, this came out wrong. I wasn't saying that you don't compare. I'm saying, most 18 yr olds don't compare in maturity and experience to those in their 30s. I have nieces 19 and 18 so I know firsthand!
  • docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    There is a reason that "rules" like half your age plus 7 exist. It's because they work. I would give yourself a bit of leeway and be willing to date guys who are 24, but no older (right now). The issue is life experience. They have likely been through college and their brains are more fully developed (this is not an insult, just scientific fact that our brains continue to develop until we are in our 20's). So yes, you can date someone older, but it is likely to end badly. You are much better off staying in your range. Good luck!
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Wow, there are a lot of generalizations in this thread. Not all 18 year olds are vapid and only want to party, listen to Justin Bieber, and talk about Twilight. I've always been very goal oriented and have high standards. I couldn't care less about any of that stereotypical teenager crap. I DO agree with the people saying that it depends on the person though.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    When I was 18 I was not even thinking I would ever date someone pass like 22/23 lol.. Now at 22, I am ok with dating someone even a little pass 30 (maybe lol).... I dont know why but I like guys around 24 and up
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Assuming I were single, I probably wouldn't go there (I'm 31). I can't say I'd totally rule out the possibility, though, particularly if it were just a casual relationship for a while. I just have a hard time picturing building something more lasting with someone who hasn't really had time to go out and experience life away from school for a few years. Go nuts and be young for a while, there will be plenty of time to settle down with boring IT guys later on!
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I think age is usually irrelevant (when you are 18+).... As long as you're not still partying every night and he or she is in ADULT diapers..

Personally, I don't think I would date a 30yr old man and I am 20, but like I said, you never know.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Tonight, I was watching New Girl (one of my favorite shows) and one of the characters (who is like early 30s) freaked out when he found out the girl he was dating was only 18. This got me thinking because I'm 18 (though people always tell me I look a lot older) and the guys I usually am attracted to are mid 20s to early 30s.

So guys, Would you date a girl who's 18? How young is too young for you? Would it depend on the girl? Discuss.

Well the age doesn't really matter as long we're good togethor (but it's generally easier closer to my age)
    My ex was 25 so that's pretty much the same age as me.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    If there is grass on the field, play ball. Or, if you are really twisted, old enough to sit at the table... old enough to eat.
  • jkaupanger
    Options
    I'm 15 years older than my BF. We met when he was 19, didn't start dating until he was 21. I do love him, more than life itself, but I can honestly say that I will NEVER date anyone that young again. All is fine now - been together 11 years this last January, but there were a few years there that I didn't think we'd make it.
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    It just would depend on their maturity level and if we have the same interests.
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options
    "If she's got a basket on her bicycle, she's too young for you BRO."
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options

If her shoes light up while she walks, she's too young for you bro.
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options

"If she's still wearing days of the week underwear she is too young for you Bro."
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options

"If she's still wearing days of the week underwear she is too young for you Bro."

Bahahahahahaha

"If her tattoo comes off in the shower, she's too young for you bro."