Paleo Diet?

Options

Replies

• BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Buckeye sounds like one of those people that are mad that it didnt work for him or he cant handle it lol. Jussayinnn.

What?? lol

I have lost(years ago) 45-50 lbs on a simple no fast food, soda, or general just crap type diet. I didn't really number count or worry, I just ran a ton and did body weight strength training. I got off that lifestyle and gained back the weight+some over years while beating depression without medicine.

This time around, I started doing this as well and have been losing fine, but by evolving into a paleo fundamental I have found my emotional state and general mental health improving which also feeling stronger and more energetic daily.

What an insanely ignorant personal attack.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Ditto Buckeye...

Paleo isn't a weightloss diet it is a lifestyle way of eating....there are plenty of people who don't want to loose weight who eat a Paleo lifestyle - I know people who eat a Paleo way to bulk up since it is dependant on protiens and fats...within the Paleo lifestyle you can certainly restrict calories in order to loose weight.

Because you remove grains for many people it does become a lower carb way of eating...but it is not specifically "lower carb" as many veggies and fruits contain a significant amount of carbs...I could easily eat 300 grams of carbs a day and remain paleo and within my calorie goals for the day...a few pieces of higher carb fruit and some higher carb squash...

as for the idea that people who eat Paleo think food groups rather than excess calories cause obesity is laughable...in the end it is all about energy sources and how your body uses the energy sources you provide it...Some people do just fine eating all sorts of food products and focusing soley on the calories if they are attempting to loose weight - but nnot everyone is the same and for some people it REALLY DOES MATTER what you fuel your body with for long term success....if you don't belive that that then that is your perogative...

^^^^ this.... and since I started eating that way my asthma that I had for 7 years almost vanished, believe it or not .
    [/quote]

That is really good to know! My gf has asthma and she has been kind of on the fence about the paleo thing, so maybe with this I can help get her giving it more effort and see if she notices any changes. Would LOVE to have this solved for her, it is such a hindrance to her life and would be so awesome to be able to remove that with a life long food option we both seem to be pretty fond of. (She likes the idea, just not sure about functionality given her living situation at college.)
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have research on matched diets keeping calories and macros identical but one diet has all paleo approved foods and one includes a mixture of both, that shows the Paleo diet leads to significantly better outcomes?

I know its not what you are asking for but I did this myself. Did everything by the book and didn't lose a pound. Switched to "paleo" weight fell off. HOWEVER I also have hormonal imbalances. That is what could have been preventing my weight loss while on a traditional calorie counting diet. So althouh its not a study and it is purely anecdotal, I have seen first hand the benefits in my life. And I also believe more people have hormonal issues like the ones I had than we think. And many are undiagnosed. So when I see someone struggling to lose weight while counting calories, I offer them info on the paleo diet because it can make a differeence depending on that persons hormones.

No doubt if you have specific intolerances to things, it's obviously a good idea to cut them out. But for people that don't, are their significant benefits to doing so?

I think there are, simply by cutting out most processed food. When I say processed food, I mean foods with more than just a few ingredients in it. Like looking at a label for diet whole grain bread. Yuk, makes my head spin. I still use an egg protein shake... Whey gives me gas lol, and I eat some butter on occasion, some Greek yogurt on occasion, and some grains like rice, corn, oatmeal, amaranth and quinoa, on occasion. None of these are in my daily diet. That Insists of meat, fruits mostly berries, veggies, nuts, plant based fats. While I'm still 25 pounds overweight I never really started exercising and counting calories until a month ago, and I had bloodwork done and my cholesterols and triglycerides are All really good and in a proportion that wards off heart disease. I've also managed to maintain my weight while everyone else around me gained, now it's time for me to lose. I'm not saying its all because of paleo, and I don't eat a ton of bacon or do anything extreme, but I know I'm healthier than most of my friends because of the way I eat. I'm 35 and almost everyone I know my age has some sort of health problem, and knock on wood I don't. I'm a firm believer that a mostly clean diet benefits everyone :)
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options
    It focuses on whole foods, minimally processed. It eliminates gluten because some people are intolerant. You don't really realize you're intolerant until you get rid of it for a while (about a month) and then try to reintroduce it into your diet only to realize how bloated it makes you feel. It eliminates dairy for some of the same reasons. I am slightly gluten intolerant, a severe bread, pasta, and cheese binger so eliminating those foods has really eliminated my source of overeating. You're generally eating more nutrient dense foods as opposed to calorie dense foods so it reduces the likelihood that you will over consume calories. Most people lose weight when they switch to this style of eating because they are consuming a larger volume of food while still eating at a deficit.

I've followed the basics of it off and on for the past three years. I don't agree with the good carb/bad carb ideology that some of the main supporters of paleo/primal have, Sisson, Cordain, etc. Most people will agree with the benefits of a minimally processed, whole foods diet... they just don't like the extremism of completely eliminating foods based on sketchy scientific studies. I honestly can't blame them.

I've switched over to more of a "if it fits in my macros" approach. I've learned how crappy gluten makes me feel as well as eating highly processed foods (fast food, junk food, etc.). I went a little crazy during the first couple weeks but now I think I'm starting to learn this moderation thing pretty well. I still eat mostly a minimally processed diet, limited gluten, limited dairy, but if I want a beer, I drink one... or two, or three :D, if I want a slice of cheese, I eat it, if I want some ice cream, I eat it. In moderation.

I was reading this thinking I could have written it! Lol :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Right because you have no issues with those foods. But for many people they cause a different hormonal response in the body and therefore should be limited. But if you went on the paleo diet you probably wouldn't see much of a diffrence unless of course you have cholesterol issues or something like that. If someone is struggling what's the harm in limiting grains and such? If it works it works. I don't see harm in limiting them. They don't provide nutrients that can't be found elsewhere. So if one is struggling with traditional dieting why not give it a try? I mean it works for lots of people so there must be something to it. And I don't just mean weight loss either I mean health wise also.

And I agree people with intolerances should limit them, it's the notion that people who don't have intolerances should limit them for better health, weight loss what have you I take issue with.

Yes I understand but those foods cause many issues in people and they aren't necessary for overall health. Also, there is no other food groups that can be eliminated without needing supplementation in the diet. And I'm sure you know how I feel about supplements. If you eliminate meat veggies/fruits you will need to supplement your nutrition. Some people are veg for moral reasons so the issue isn't about veg or not but they still need to supplement. But eliminating grains and dairy, they don't offer anything that can't be found in meats and veggies/fruits and "natural foods".

While they may not offer anything that can't be found in other foods, it doesn't mean they have negative health impacts as some in the Paleo community would lead you to beleive.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options
    Right because you have no issues with those foods. But for many people they cause a different hormonal response in the body and therefore should be limited. But if you went on the paleo diet you probably wouldn't see much of a diffrence unless of course you have cholesterol issues or something like that. If someone is struggling what's the harm in limiting grains and such? If it works it works. I don't see harm in limiting them. They don't provide nutrients that can't be found elsewhere. So if one is struggling with traditional dieting why not give it a try? I mean it works for lots of people so there must be something to it. And I don't just mean weight loss either I mean health wise also.

And I agree people with intolerances should limit them, it's the notion that people who don't have intolerances should limit them for better health, weight loss what have you I take issue with.

Yes I understand but those foods cause many issues in people and they aren't necessary for overall health. Also, there is no other food groups that can be eliminated without needing supplementation in the diet. And I'm sure you know how I feel about supplements. If you eliminate meat veggies/fruits you will need to supplement your nutrition. Some people are veg for moral reasons so the issue isn't about veg or not but they still need to supplement. But eliminating grains and dairy, they don't offer anything that can't be found in meats and veggies/fruits and "natural foods".

While they may not offer anything that can't be found in other foods, it doesn't mean they have negative health impacts as some in the Paleo community would lead you to beleive.

What I have read, and I'm sorry but I don't have any studies to quote is that too many grains can lead to inflammation in the body even if you don't have intolerances to them. I understand that may be debatable, but Of an interesting note, my WBC count was always kinda on the high side when I ate lots of grains. Dr always said, probably some sort of allergy, even though I never had allergy symptoms. Now that my diet is mostly grain free, my WBC count Is perfectly normal indicating no inflammatory response. I get my bloodwork done about every 8 months. Just to see what's going on in there :)
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    That is really good to know! My gf has asthma and she has been kind of on the fence about the paleo thing, so maybe with this I can help get her giving it more effort and see if she notices any changes. Would LOVE to have this solved for her, it is such a hindrance to her life and would be so awesome to be able to remove that with a life long food option we both seem to be pretty fond of. (She likes the idea, just not sure about functionality given her living situation at college.)

Fun fact about the asthma, some cases have been linked to dairy allergies.
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Ditto Buckeye...

Paleo isn't a weightloss diet it is a lifestyle way of eating....there are plenty of people who don't want to loose weight who eat a Paleo lifestyle - I know people who eat a Paleo way to bulk up since it is dependant on protiens and fats...within the Paleo lifestyle you can certainly restrict calories in order to loose weight.

Because you remove grains for many people it does become a lower carb way of eating...but it is not specifically "lower carb" as many veggies and fruits contain a significant amount of carbs...I could easily eat 300 grams of carbs a day and remain paleo and within my calorie goals for the day...a few pieces of higher carb fruit and some higher carb squash...

as for the idea that people who eat Paleo think food groups rather than excess calories cause obesity is laughable...in the end it is all about energy sources and how your body uses the energy sources you provide it...Some people do just fine eating all sorts of food products and focusing soley on the calories if they are attempting to loose weight - but nnot everyone is the same and for some people it REALLY DOES MATTER what you fuel your body with for long term success....if you don't belive that that then that is your perogative...

^^^^ this.... and since I started eating that way my asthma that I had for 7 years almost vanished, believe it or not .

I had asthma for 7 years, very badly, used steroiod inhaler twicwe a day and the reliver 5-8 times a day, I had to go to hospital 4 times past year bcos I couldnt breathe... well, since on paleo I dont wake up breathless I dont need the inhaler as much and I had no bad attacks anymore.... so, yeah it def worked for me :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]
  • ethelapple
    Options
    I still think there is somewhat of a correlation to the amount of calories you eat and your weight gain or loss. But on the paleo/primal diet, it is WAY easier for me to control my calorie input because I am just not as hungry. When following a "eat everything in moderation" type plan (like WW), I constantly went over my calories, felt defeated, and tried to squeeze every last calorie allowed into my day because I was regularly hungry. Eating too many carbs led to a slippery slope of eating mostly carbs, and then mostly empty sugary calories.
    With primal/paleo, I try to have less than 20% of my daily intake be carbs (and then, almost all of those carbs come from fruit or veggies), and try to eat 40% protein. The rest is good fats (coconut oil, animal fat, etc). I am FULL. I don't even want a piece of cake or pasta, or whatever because I am FULL. I find that regularly I have to actually really work at eating my full amount of calories, and I often come in 200-300 calories below my daily allowance without even really trying. For me, THAT is worth following this way of eating. I have totally beaten my sugar addiction, feel less bloated, have lost 10 lbs in a month, had only 1 headache this month (versus 2-3 a WEEK), have regular bowel movements, and close to ZERO PMS symptoms. Worth it.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Quote ^^ from Acg, didn't format properly...

You may find some research on anti-nutrients such as phytates to be useful to this argument. Even for people who do not have a gluten sensitivity it's something to consider.

Clearly our traditiional Western diet based on grains is not doing us any favors and there is no harm in eliminating or reducing a food category that doesn't contribute much and could possibly be doing harm.
  • Acg67
    Options
    [/quote]

You may find some research on anti-nutrients such as phytates to be useful to this argument. Even for people who do not have a gluten sensitivity it's something to consider.

Clearly our traditiional Western diet based on grains is not doing us any favors and there is no harm in eliminating or reducing a food category that doesn't contribute much and could possibly be doing harm.
    [/quote]

I'm well aware of the anti-nutritional factors in grains particularly whole grains and their effect on mineral absorption, however in the context of a balanced diet with lots of nutrient dense foods, how much of a difference would it make compared to one being grain free?
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    With primal/paleo, I try to have less than 20% of my daily intake be carbs (and then, almost all of those carbs come from fruit or veggies), and try to eat 40% protein. The rest is good fats (coconut oil, animal fat, etc). I am FULL. I don't even want a piece of cake or pasta, or whatever because I am FULL. I find that regularly I have to actually really work at eating my full amount of calories

I too have found this to be the case for me after going Primal.
  • mtread13
    mtread13 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good point (above - acg67) --- part of the reason why some lifestyle/diets become so controversial is that it becomes so black/white and then is evangelized. Unless someone has a severe allergy or other clear adverse impact from ingesting a food or drink, it puzzles why it becomes so black/white for so many people. For many/most people, the body should be able to handle a change or splurge or other at some frequency, right? I mean can someone really argue that one pizza or wine bottle of wine per decade would completely derail most people's health? And if not, can't most people find that frequency if they play around with it - annualy, sem-annually, monthly, weekly, or whatever? I'm not suggesting that I/we pressure someone else to do so, but if they WANT to and there's some compelling event (rare chance at wine paring at 5 star restaurant or whatever), it's hard to buy-in when they present that CAN'T EVER indulge.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    it's hard to buy-in when they present that CAN'T EVER indulge.

I don't think anyone including myself ever implied "CAN'T EVER indulge". What I implied was that I do not make grains a part of my daily diet. Sometimes there is the treat or indulgence, for me, maybe once a month or more often, depending on what it is.

That being said, indulging can be a razor's edge. Often times, sugar causes cravings. It certainly does for me. So indulging instantly creates a constant battle for me that lasts 2 or 3 hours. So for me, avoiding them is far easier.

Seriously, talking about large amounts of sugars (Refined sugars and Grains), but in moderation to me and many others is like talking about crack in moderation to a crackhead.
  • weathergirl320
    Options

[/quote]

I'm well aware of the anti-nutritional factors in grains particularly whole grains and their effect on mineral absorption, however in the context of a balanced diet with lots of nutrient dense foods, how much of a difference would it make compared to one being grain free?
    [/quote]

This is why someone watching their weight doesn't need grains. They are of zero benefit to the body. Why waste a large portion of your calories on something useless? This is exactly why grains are an indulgence for me and most paleo followers. They belong in the same group as candy and ice cream and booze in my case cuz I like to go out. So if I must eat them its a small portion of the diet rather than a diet staple
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Lets see - I can choose for an indulgence from the following:
    1. Grain based products
    2. Ice Cream
    3. Candy
    4. Booze.

We know who's winning that battle. haa haa haa - why would I ever want a grain again?
  • Acg67
    Options
    This is why someone watching their weight doesn't need grains. They are of zero benefit to the body. Why waste a large portion of your calories on something useless? This is exactly why grains are an indulgence for me and most paleo followers. They belong in the same group as candy and ice cream and booze in my case cuz I like to go out. So if I must eat them its a small portion of the diet rather than a diet staple

I wouldn't say they are useless, they are just no better than anything else. Why someone might eat them would be variety, taste and depending on financial situation or location, grains are pretty damn cheap per serving. You can pick up a 10lb bag of rice for about a $1 per lb, pasta is pretty cheap and even cheaper if you make your own dough and not a grain but dried beans are pretty cheap too.
    Lets see - I can choose for an indulgence from the following:
    1. Grain based products
    2. Ice Cream
    3. Candy
    4. Booze.

We know who's winning that battle. haa haa haa - why would I ever want a grain again?

And why would it have to be an either/or situation with the above choices? There is no reason if you don't have intolerances to certain products you couldn't have something like veal milanese, a side of pasta, garlic bread, a peroni and finish it off with gelato topped with candied orange and lemon rind.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The paleo diet is simply a low carb diet based on the false premise that certain food groups, not excess calorie, cause obesity. If you believe you can succeed without the energy benefits of carbs, great. Otherwise its another path to failure.

I suggest reading George Bray's history of obesity before making such a drastic dietary change.
    Low carb? Not even close.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Paleo as a lifestyle is nice if you are into it, even better if you happen to have bad reaction to gluten or other grain related food.

But I think as far as the whole health benefit goes, it's just due to side effects. Too many variables are just not controlled, and there have been many studies recently researching those types of lack of control.

I read recently a pretty cool one that specifically compared weight loss in two diets : One that was high carbs, high proteins, The other one was low carbs, high protein. They found nothing even close to a significant difference between the two. In their conclusions, they went as far as to say that any study that did not control for protein intake on low carbs diet was likely to have observed results ONLY because of the related higher protein intake that usually comes from low carbs diets. Not saying paleo is low carbs, that's just an example.

So yeah, if you are dedicated enough about your well being to change your lifestyle to paleo for the sole purpose of losing weight, chances are you are also doing a lot of other things right, and those things are helping you lose weight. Keep doing those things but fit in 2 slices of bread per day = no difference, if we can infer anything from the last 10 years' worth of literature.

It's a lifestyle choice, some people are defined by it, some do it as a challenge, some out of boredom, and some think it's stupid, like can be said of all other lifestyles. And they are all right. :p
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    and close to ZERO PMS symptoms. Worth it.

Same thing here - I used to have HORRIBLE PMS symptoms - the past 4 months that I have been fairly hardcore Paleo (with a splash of primal :) ) NO symptoms...I was a raging B the few days before and nothing...even my husband said something about it...I also used to have horrible cramps the first two days...not for the past 4 months...