Why you need to do full squats

Options

Replies

• js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    Great article. So true. I squat as low as the guy in article. My grip on the otherhand is closer to the outside of my shoulders. Is there a recommended position that has the best benefits?
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Great article. So true. I squat as low as the guy in article. My grip on the otherhand is closer to the outside of my shoulders. Is there a recommended position that has the best benefits?

his grip should def be narrower. right on outside of shoulders is best, and squat as low as you can. work on your ankle flexibility, so that you can get lower, push those knees out, and suck big air into your stomach.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    bump. if you think youre going to get strong without squatting, you arent.
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    Can you do full squats safely with loose knee ligaments? I have been advised by doc to do squats, but not really sure as my knees aren't always stable. I don't generally go to the gym, but do a lot of swimming and some walking. I suffer with extreme muscle fatigue on my thighs. I can swim for 7 mins max before i have to stop and stretch. I am afraid that doing squats will leave me shaking on the floor in an exhausted heep! LOL
    Any advice would be welcomed. You are obviously all learned in this subject.

PS I am a girl!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Can you do full squats safely with loose knee ligaments? I have been advised by doc to do squats, but not really sure as my knees aren't always stable. I don't generally go to the gym, but do a lot of swimming and some walking. I suffer with extreme muscle fatigue on my thighs. I can swim for 7 mins max before i have to stop and stretch. I am afraid that doing squats will leave me shaking on the floor in an exhausted heep! LOL

PS I am a girl!
    try the bar in itself and see how you do...add weight if you can do more than 15
  • rjingalls
    rjingalls Posts: 18
    Options
    Full Squats FTW!!!!!
    I hate seeing people do quarter squats
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I wish I could...I'm workin on it tho. I just recently started even lifting...but I'm loving it!!! Right now I couldn't do a full squat to save my life.....you'd better put a tv down there....because once I'm down, I won't be up again for a minute :-)
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get there! I have been incorporating squats into my workouts the last two months and for some reason squats are just super uncomfortable for me to do. I have asked many people to look at my squat to see if I am doing it correctly, and I am but no one has any clue as to why doing squats would be physically uncomfortable for me. I haven't felt stable doing them and I don't enjoy doing them at all. I don't have this problem with anything else. Anyone have any advice?
  • nlb58
    nlb58 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    To Sollyn

I have the problem of loose knees and was told this week that squats, lunges and leg extensions will help. I was told for the squats and lunges to hold on to a vertical bar to lessen the pressure on the knees. This way you can go all the way down. Believe me I can really feel it in my quads, but my knees feel fine. (Yesterday I did day one of the Gorilla Workout.)
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I was just questioning this very thing today.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I tried full squats today & had to cut my reps in half but I did it!
  • catelabow
    catelabow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! My trainer is an Olympic lifter and says this all the time, and has always had me doing them "a@@ to the grass." My legs feel great. I have been fortunate and don't have any knee issues.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    That is how I do my squats but I use a low bar position and a tighter grip.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I had been doing smith squats and then found out they were bad and tried free weight squats with just a bar and cant do them at all like partial tops before I lean forward and am so afraid to fall ...,. WTH how do I get over this!? I need to squat my *kitten* is the size of Atlanta I keep telling it that and then I fall forward again!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My trainer is teaching me to squat and thats how he has me do them.

Also has me standing on plates so I get used to the movement and don't fall on my behind!
  • davitalynette
    davitalynette Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

PS I am a girl!

Do bodyweight squats to start, then advance to an empty bar. Full squats will actually help strengthen the ligaments in your knees, I had the same issue with my knees.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I would love to do full squats, but I don't have ankle flexion like that. I can't get go *kitten* to grass without actually falling on my *kitten*. Now, put me in a pair of heels and I can get into a yogic squat . . .
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was expecting an argument of olympic vs. powerlifting squats, this just seems to state the obvious idea that not going parallel shouldn't even be considered a squat. Partials or box squats may or may not have a place in training to improve a 1rm though.

Then again I work out at home and have for quite awhile. Looking back on the days in a weight room maybe going parallel isn't as obvious as it should be.

Am I missing something or does the article not really make an argument for the statement of going below parallel? Seems like parallel or below is fine as long as it isn't above.