Replies

• hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Damn it - it is filtered!!!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Am trying to improve my squatting. Have very tight adductors.....my main aim atm is to keep my kness OUT whilst squatting. Am gradually getting better but it's something I'm very concious of.....definitely a work-in-progress. One day.......

Am using a 5kg weight for counter-balancing.....
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Nice post, thanks for that picture/article.

Full squats are not that bad, but doing a static lunge with full range of motion... I find that one much harder for some reason.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Full squats are really hard! I have been doing them with body weight only for the last two weeks but plan on adding weight next week. I didn't realize any of it had to do with ankle flexibility, because I have a sprained ankle and it hasn't felt uncomfortable at all since I started. Knees either, and my knees are generally quite creaky/poppy. My only problem with them is that they are so freaking hard! :laugh: Still, I want strong, sexy legs and am willing to work very hard for that. It is a little depressing, though, to find out that I had never properly done a squat until two weeks ago.

I also have the balance problem sometimes. Probably once in a set of 12, I nearly fall over when I get just below parallel.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Mark Rippetoe has some good training videos for squats on youtube.

Most people I see doing half squats in the gyms keep their knees straight forward. From what I've seen you are supposed to point the toes to the outside and your knees should follow your toes, therefore protecting your knees and activating the hips more.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm gearing up to get started on squats.

However, i'm struggling with form (I have been practicing without weights).

I stand with feet shoulder width - toes slightly pointing out - knees following toes - I squat, parallel or below, head up, chest out, pushing through the heels - lower back flat to slightly arched.... so I think I have it just about right...

BUT all the photos I see show the torso almost upright?! When I get there, once i've concentrated on flexing at the hips, making sure I don't overarch my back - my torso is almost parallel as well :laugh: Is this ok? If not, how on earth do I correct it?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Your shoulders should always remain even with the middle of your feet. If you're doing weighted squats, the bar (on your shoulders/upper back) should always be in line with the middle of your feet. That's how you maintain correct balance and form, and depending on your individual biomechanics, your back may be at a different angle. Best suggestion is to record a video of yourself squatting, from a side angle, and then compare your shoulders to the middle of your feet, and your knees to your toes. You should be able to draw a vertical line straight down across both spots at the bottom of your squat.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Made sure to do FULL squats today instead of the wimpy ones I've obviously been doing wrong. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. My butt was all the way to the ground--Guess I was more flexible than I thought. Had to control my descent so I didn't smack myself on the floor! Strange, but I had NO KNEE PAIN at all doing these the way I have doing half squats--even with 35lb dumbbells. I really expected to hurt more.

Now static lunges, that's another story...

Thanks again, OP. This post really helped me.
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    bump, Thank you all for the advice! I am glad I asked before I just got going on it all! I am going to have to read and reread all of this a few times to get it right I think!
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Nice post, thanks for that picture/article.

Full squats are not that bad, but doing a static lunge with full range of motion... I find that one much harder for some reason.

i do walking lunges with dumb bells. static lunges never appealed to me.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    Made sure to do FULL squats today instead of the wimpy ones I've obviously been doing wrong. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. My butt was all the way to the ground--Guess I was more flexible than I thought. Had to control my descent so I didn't smack myself on the floor! Strange, but I had NO KNEE PAIN at all doing these the way I have doing half squats--even with 35lb dumbbells. I really expected to hurt more.

Now static lunges, that's another story...

Thanks again, OP. This post really helped me.

gj! use a barbell though, its a lot easier on your shoulders!
  • kandy221
    kandy221 Posts: 79
    Options
    bump
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I had been doing smith squats and then found out they were bad and tried free weight squats with just a bar and cant do them at all like partial tops before I lean forward and am so afraid to fall ...,. WTH how do I get over this!? I need to squat my *kitten* is the size of Atlanta I keep telling it that and then I fall forward again!

Have you tried front squats with the bar resting across the front of your shoulders, elbows up. You will naturally maintain a closer to upright position. A lot of women, myself as well, have a forward lean. Practice goblet squats with a dumbbell held up at your chest and think of dropping your butt straight down between your legs.

Front squats are a good suggestion but if somebody is having difficulty with back squats they will likely have more trouble with Front Squats as they are more technical than Back Squats.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    I had been doing smith squats and then found out they were bad and tried free weight squats with just a bar and cant do them at all like partial tops before I lean forward and am so afraid to fall ...,. WTH how do I get over this!? I need to squat my *kitten* is the size of Atlanta I keep telling it that and then I fall forward again!

Have you tried front squats with the bar resting across the front of your shoulders, elbows up. You will naturally maintain a closer to upright position. A lot of women, myself as well, have a forward lean. Practice goblet squats with a dumbbell held up at your chest and think of dropping your butt straight down between your legs.

Front squats are a good suggestion but if somebody is having difficulty with back squats they will likely have more trouble with Front Squats as they are more technical than Back Squats.

there isnt much technical about them. they force your body to maintain an upright posture much moreso than back squats. also much more translation into real world strength.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

there isnt much technical about them. they force your body to maintain an upright posture much moreso than back squats. also much more translation into real world strength.

The hand/wrist position as well as not choking yourself out with the bar if you have issues with chest out (like I do) are the two biggest problems I could see a Front Squat giving a beginner like myself.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    sounds like an excuse to me.
  • JNick77
    Options

They do require more upright posture and put more stress on your quads and less stress on your back but the form is more difficult to get because the weight is laded on the front. For somebody having difficulty getting the back squat the front squat would not be a good place to start.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    ive got a separated right shoulder and torn labrum in my left. i still front squat. drop your ego and start at a lighter weight.
  • JNick77
    Options
    sounds like an excuse to me.