Replies

• LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If it's not below 90*; it's not a squat!!! :wink:
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I was expecting an argument of olympic vs. powerlifting squats, this just seems to state the obvious idea that not going parallel shouldn't even be considered a squat. Partials or box squats may or may not have a place in training to improve a 1rm though.

Then again I work out at home and have for quite awhile. Looking back on the days in a weight room maybe going parallel isn't as obvious as it should be.

Am I missing something or does the article not really make an argument for the statement of going below parallel? Seems like parallel or below is fine as long as it isn't above.

In most of the gyms I have been to most people do not squat and you can bet that when they do squat they do not go parallel or below only above. Most people don't want to go that low because then they are not putting up as much weight and it hurts their ego.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I would love to do full squats, but I don't have ankle flexion like that. I can't get go *kitten* to grass without actually falling on my *kitten*. Now, put me in a pair of heels and I can get into a yogic squat . . .

Exactly!!! And why is it that I can squat in heels...but not barefoot, or in tennis shoes:huh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I was expecting an argument of olympic vs. powerlifting squats, this just seems to state the obvious idea that not going parallel shouldn't even be considered a squat. Partials or box squats may or may not have a place in training to improve a 1rm though.

Then again I work out at home and have for quite awhile. Looking back on the days in a weight room maybe going parallel isn't as obvious as it should be.

Am I missing something or does the article not really make an argument for the statement of going below parallel? Seems like parallel or below is fine as long as it isn't above.
    Going way below parallel is fine. It's not totally necessary, but it's fine. When you just break parallel, at that point your glutes and hamstrings are fully engaged. Continuing to go down after that doesn't hurt, but doesn't really contribute much either. Personally I just go all the way down, because then I know without a doubt that I went past parallel. :laugh:
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Can you do full squats safely with loose knee ligaments? I have been advised by doc to do squats, but not really sure as my knees aren't always stable. I don't generally go to the gym, but do a lot of swimming and some walking. I suffer with extreme muscle fatigue on my thighs. I can swim for 7 mins max before i have to stop and stretch. I am afraid that doing squats will leave me shaking on the floor in an exhausted heep! LOL
    Any advice would be welcomed. You are obviously all learned in this subject.

PS I am a girl!

yes, i have a loose MCL, full squats make my knees feel much better than stopping at 90 degrees ever did.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    I tried full squats today & had to cut my reps in half but I did it!

half reps get half results. a full squat of 315 is more impressive than a 90 degree stop of 500! ive done both and the 315 is a LOT harder.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    I would love to do full squats, but I don't have ankle flexion like that. I can't get go *kitten* to grass without actually falling on my *kitten*. Now, put me in a pair of heels and I can get into a yogic squat . . .

you need to stretch your calves out. you can work on your mobility, you just have to choose to. i had to do the same thing for my ankles.
  • Testosterone
    Options

Going way below parallel is fine. It's not totally necessary, but it's fine. When you just break parallel, at that point your glutes and hamstrings are fully engaged. Continuing to go down after that doesn't hurt, but doesn't really contribute much either. Personally I just go all the way down, because then I know without a doubt that I went past parallel. :laugh:

it actually helps with the tendon stretch reflex, supporting and springing you back up.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I had been doing smith squats and then found out they were bad and tried free weight squats with just a bar and cant do them at all like partial tops before I lean forward and am so afraid to fall ...,. WTH how do I get over this!? I need to squat my *kitten* is the size of Atlanta I keep telling it that and then I fall forward again!

Have you tried front squats with the bar resting across the front of your shoulders, elbows up. You will naturally maintain a closer to upright position. A lot of women, myself as well, have a forward lean. Practice goblet squats with a dumbbell held up at your chest and think of dropping your butt straight down between your legs.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'm working on full squats, the ligament/tendon that connects to my hips doesn't like it at all.

Also, my legs are long compared to my torso so I end up doing good mornings in the middle of a squat.

I'm going to Snap City I can feel it.
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Squats are on my list. I think I'm about a month away from doing them. First I need to deal with my sciatic nerve pain. Following my physical therapist's orders, no twisting, lunges, back extensions, incline situps or any heavy lower back work. But I can't wait to try them and make them part of my routine.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I just started stronglifts and squatted 65 lbs today for 35 reps! lol Going all the way down even with that little amount of weight is more taxing than I thought. I have a lot of muscle well... some but it's not balanced yet.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    what stretches help with being able to do them? I've never in my life been able to bend and go down to my ankles like that. I consider myself decently flexible. I just can't get much past 90 d. I'm not even talking out at the gym just bodyweight ones.
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

lol! Same here
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    ankle mobility and hip mobility also.

mobilising your hips is just as important for Full depth squatting.
    If you dont have that flexibility in your hips, then you'll tend to get a pelvic tilt in the bottom position. You dont want that.
    Squatting to just below parrallel with a low bar position is best for people who dont have this flexibilty.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Can you do full squats safely with loose knee ligaments? I have been advised by doc to do squats, but not really sure as my knees aren't always stable. I don't generally go to the gym, but do a lot of swimming and some walking. I suffer with extreme muscle fatigue on my thighs. I can swim for 7 mins max before i have to stop and stretch. I am afraid that doing squats will leave me shaking on the floor in an exhausted heep! LOL

PS I am a girl!

Also a girl :) and I'd suggest you actually start with just your body weight the way I did. That way, you'll strengthen those knees (and everything else). I would put a low stool or bench behind me and squat until my butt almost touched, then come back up. In the beginning, I would put my arms/hands forward to counter-balance.

Once that gets easy, you can move to a barbell squat. Same idea, but now you've got two barbells that you hold close to your belly button perpendicular to the floor. Start light... work up to it.

You should be able to do squats with loose ligaments if you build up to it slowly. I have horrible hip and lower back problems... or I should say HAD. Squats have helped build up the muscles that keep them in place.

Good luck!!!!! You can do it if you want. Just don't rush the process. It took me two months before I was strong enough to squat the bar!
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    when I squat all the way down and then stand back up my knees do this audible grinding crunching thing....it does not feel to great either.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

Exactly!!! And why is it that I can squat in heels...but not barefoot, or in tennis shoes:huh:

because you, like many women, may have a shortened/tight gastrocnemius. this actually often happens BECAUSE of wearing high heels and failing to stretch/increase the flexibility of the muscle over time -- it tightens up and shortens. You CAN get it back though, and squats will help. start with an empty bar and work on form; concentrating on keeping those heels down. It will come. Also google for flexibility exercises/stretches for the calves.

blessings.
  • Gonzaln2
    Gonzaln2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If it's not below 90*; it's not a squat!!! :wink:

EXACTLY!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

PS I am a girl!

yes, i have a loose MCL, full squats make my knees feel much better than stopping at 90 degrees ever did.

I started lifting heavy BC I tore my MCL. It basically forced me out of all my cardio activities except for spin. Low full squats have helped tremendously with my healing. Additionally, I have had chondromalacia patella since the age of 11 (that's the grinding, painful top-of-the-knees someone else described), and full squats are NOT painful, in fact, my knees are feeling better than ever.

BTW I started lifitng on 3/19, and I did 5 x 5 full squats today at 100# -- woot!!!