My rant: Unsolicited Parenting Advice...

Options

Replies

• k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Now that you mention it, I have noticed a shocking lack of 'manly' 5 years olds... idiots.
  • shendras
    shendras Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I LOVE your reply to them!
  • surgesilk
    surgesilk Posts: 92
    Options
    You hate unsolicited advice but give unsolicited opinions freely.....hmm.
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    Good for you! You son is a lucky boy.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Wish i had the guts to stick up to my inlaws and my parents like you did. They are always telling that I'm not "disciplining him right." He laughs at me when I punish him, but still he's slowly learning.
  • IARXPHD
    IARXPHD Posts: 14
    Options
    Give the kid a hug, tell him it's OK, rub a little dirt on it, don't make a major deal of the minor injury OR his reaction and he's ready to go back to playing.

Neither the extreme coddling that I see too often or the also way too common macho man versions of dealing with this work.

Note: I've 2 well adjusted young sons, 22 and 19, and I took the middle route.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I wish to reply.... I have no children and lots of opinions on other people's parenting skills...

The difference? I know they usually don't want to hear and/or don't care about my opinions so I don't offer them unless asked to do so. :laugh:

If only people can figure that out. It's not that hard. Kudos for the cuddle.:flowerforyou:

P.S. Cuddling is advice I would have given. *duck and cover duck and cover* :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I *LOVE* your response. Sounds like something I would do. I would've also whipped out the smart phone and given him the definitions of Coddle vs Comfort. Clearly you comforted your child!!!!

cod·dle
       [kod-l] Show IPA
    verb (used with object), cod·dled, cod·dling.
    to treat tenderly; nurse or tend indulgently; pamper: to coddle children when they're sick.

com·fort
       [kuhm-fert] Show IPA
    verb (used with object)
    to soothe, console, or reassure; bring cheer to: They tried to comfort her after her loss.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it have been fun to pick up the basketball, and while standing within a foot or so of him - slammed it into his face and then said "oh come on - suck it up and get back out there!!!"

FTW!!!
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    He is 5! I maybe a mean *kitten* but you did the right thing except you did not strike the guy in the throat. What the hell does he know about being a man. A real man has compassion that frigin dumb *kitten*
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    we come from an eastern european background, so i realize this could be cultural, but my dad kissed his dad until the day my grandpa died (my dad was 51 at the time and my grandpa 76). my dad hugs my hubby (hubby is still adjusting 6 years later) but he recognizes the value of teaching your kids empathy and wants that for our 2 year old son as well.

additionally, we have a 5 year old daughter and our son loves to play with her "girl" toys. who the hell cares? if he is going to be a gay adult male, it will be because he was born that way...not because he played with a barbie or put his sister's tutu on once. and if he were gay, we wouldn't love him a single ounce less for it. you held it together way better than i would have....
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you maintained your cool, but I really like your response. What a bunch of ****s.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it have been fun to pick up the basketball, and while standing within a foot or so of him - slammed it into his face and then said "oh come on - suck it up and get back out there!!!"

FTW!!!

I DO love that ;)
  • enlightening
    enlightening Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Those guys are beyond ignorant and obviously scared they may be gay.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    People do that to me a lot concerning my 6 year old son. I'm a single mom and will raise him the way I see fit. People can f* off if they don't like it.

& Loved your response!
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

I'd have rather taken a ridge hand straight to his trachea.

Tae Kwon Do? Lol

Yeah, you can't "turn him into a homo". SIGH.... I'm all about toughening up young men, but he's FIVE! I think you did a smash up job of handling the situation. But the ridge hand to the trachea... that would've been way cool! :wink:
  • BigBodyBobby
    Options
    Tell them Chuck Norris's Mom hugged him when he got hurt, Til he was 35..NOW WHAT!
  • PugsMagoo
    PugsMagoo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Many seem to think they can do a better job parenting...with no proven test results. Children need to be hugged, loved, and reassured. This is how we raise responsible, loving and caring parents for our grandchildren.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm. I'm glad I read some of the reponses before reponding. I dont' share the general sentiment here on this thread. But, would be better discussed one on one so I could make my intentions clear and be understood rather than being taken way out of context.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My husband, at the ripe old age of 36 developed a severe case of pneumonia. He tried to tough it out, but on the final day, he crawls on his hands and knees into the kitchen, and says to me, "Call my mom" I got on the phone, called my mother in law, and she went with us to the ER, and she occasionally held his hand as they were doing various tests.

I can assure your "friends" a few things: my husband is NOT a girly man, he is very much a man, and is a great husband and father. Having his mom at the ER did not turn him gay, as they seem to think. My husband is a tough as nails guy, could probably beat the *kitten* of most men twice his size.

You keep on doing what you're doing. Sounds to me like you're a great mom, and you are raising a great kid!!