How has having a child affected your life?

Replies

• california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,809 Member
    I am much stickier and having experienced natural childbirth I now have a deeper understanding of the song, "Burning Ring of Fire".
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Having children is the best thing to ever happen in my life. I learn from them as much as they learn from me and i hope I make them smile as much as they make me smile.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    The only thing that really changed for me is that I have someone else to ALWAYS think about. I can't just walk out of a job, or pick up and leave the place I'm living to travel or move somewhere else. I can't just leave after work and go do whatever I want. (I can, just have to go pick him up first..haha)

I'm a single mom and was very lucky as my family helped me out a lot. I had my son at 20 and still went out, had dates, and have had my fun. Responsibility side of it was tough at times, and when he was a baby there were times that things were rough just because I did it alone.

But in the end, when I'm having a bad day, he is the one who can tell and hugs me. He knows all my favorite shows and yells at me when they come on. He tells me I'm beautiful all the time. I acquired a best friend out of all of it and I couldn't be happier.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    I don't drive 45 in a 25. Just saying.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Having kids is hard. My body is ruined and sleep is a thing of the past. Finding sexy time with the hubby is getting very difficult.

I was never someone that dreamed about having babies and being a soccer mom. I still struggle with it. I love my kids and they bring so much joy into my life but that doesn't mean I don't miss the person I was before I had them and wish I could just freakin sleep without interruption. Sometimes I want to run away and take a minute to breathe. Hubby always wonders why I take FOREVER at the store when he's watching the kids. lol
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    The only thing that really changed for me is that I have someone else to ALWAYS think about. I can't just walk out of a job, or pick up and leave the place I'm living to travel or move somewhere else. I can't just leave after work and go do whatever I want. (I can, just have to go pick him up first..haha)

I'm a single mom and was very lucky as my family helped me out a lot. I had my son at 20 and still went out, had dates, and have had my fun. Responsibility side of it was tough at times, and when he was a baby there were times that things were rough just because I did it alone.

But in the end, when I'm having a bad day, he is the one who can tell and hugs me. He knows all my favorite shows and yells at me when they come on. He tells me I'm beautiful all the time. I acquired a best friend out of all of it and I couldn't be happier.

I had a really similar experience. I was young, but lucky to have all the support I did so I was still able to live my life.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    I am much stickier and having experienced natural childbirth I now have a deeper understanding of the song, "Burning Ring of Fire".
    LMAO! Ya, you never forget that "great" lovin' feelin'...EVER! My oldest is going on 6 and I remember every feeling of the "blow torch" like it was yesterday! That will teach me to not have DRUGS!!..LOL
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Now, we're getting somewhere. i know you guys love your kids, but I get sick of the rainbows and unicorns that people paint when someone is thinking about it or asking what it's like. It's really really really tough. That fact should NOT be underemphasized, IMO.

Thanks for the honesty. I'll bow out now.

I've never met someone who under-emphasized how difficult it is to be a parent. Contrary to that, I had people telling me my life was over when I was expecting. That I found annoying, because my life is far from over, its been enriched. It helped me realize that going out to the pub every weekend isn't as exciting as watching your children smile at the animals at the zoo.
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Its the most daunting and the most rewarding thing you will ever do. Its the scariest thing in the world loving somebody (or in my case 3 somebodies) so much. There are days I am counting the minutes to bedtime, only to miss them as soon as they're asleep in their rooms. My house is LOUD with noisy toys, crying, fighting, taddling and giggling. I can't even hear myself think sometimes but I know that when the day comes when they're all living on their own, I'm going to miss these days dearly and wish for the chance to relive just ONE day of the life I have now.
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    I don't drive 45 in a 25. Just saying.

42 maybe but not 45, Jeez, I am not that reckless.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    If you're not ready, you're not ready and there is NOTHING wrong with that.
    I tell all my friends to wait till their 30s to have kids. I was 20 and lemme tell ya it's going to be one heck of a *kitten* show once I'm 40 and my daughter is out of the house...well hopefully her *kitten* is out of the house, and in college....sucking me for every last penny I have b/c god knows you HAVE to have a degree to be successful. :wink:

I've never loved someone so much in my life....I've also never had anyone make me so crazy by acting...well like ME!
    I worry all the time about her and about money and WTF I'm doing with my life and have some EPIC anxiety attacks. I wish I hadn't had a child so young and I wish I had her with someone I actually liked lol Half the time I feel like i"m doing EVERYTHING wrong!

But then there are those moments when she comes running to me "mommy mommy MOMMY!!" and jumps up into my arms
    The times that she's looking at me like I hung the moon and stars in the sky and tells me she loves me

Parenthood is a funny thing that you only know if you did anything right in hindsight.
    Do I want more children? Probably not, no. Am I thankful for the one I have? Definitely
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    I got pregnant when I was 14.

No friends in High School
    Teased Everyday (more than often, I use to be teased in Middle School for having short hair and glasses)
    Having the boys avoid me cause they thought I wanted to make them my baby daddy
    No sleep
    No fun
    No real college life
    No real teenage life
    No life what so ever
    Tell a guy you have a son they soon forget that they ever liked you

I wanted to put my son up for adoption when he was born cause I knew I wouldn't make a good mother on my own. My mother said I had to keep him. Now I throw him off on her whenever possible. Not on purpose but because well...I'm still trying to make up for the life I lost when I was 14.
  • LuckBeWithU
    LuckBeWithU Posts: 173 Member
    My life is so blessed having 3 wonderful kids(24, 20, 16)
    I could never see my life without them.

I have always stayed at home with them
    I would not change a thing...
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Absolutely no regrets here... my life has changed only for the better. I love my son, he is my little miracle baby and life is just amazing with him. There is nothing in life greater than the joy of raising a child.. (IMO).
  • saralynn594
    saralynn594 Posts: 321
    2 kids--changes...Life is FUN and they never let me forget it.
    They push me to accomplish my goals without doing a thing
    Mornings are now pleasant.
    They keep me sane

a million other things
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 653 Member
    Absolutely no regrets here... my life has changed only for the better. I love my son, he is my little miracle baby and life is just amazing with him. There is nothing in life greater than the joy of raising a child.. (IMO).

well said and I feel the same way! I would give up everything in the world to make sure my babe is happy!
  • Sure, you have less time to yourself, your house is almost always a wreck with scattered toys, and you and your husband would rather sleep that to do the naughty when you get five minutes alone, BUT, you learn to appreciate the little things more than you ever have! The worse day in the world can be instantly better with an "I love you mama" or having a dandelion brought to you is better than getting a dozen roses! I don't remember what an adult life is, but I wouldn't change it for the world, because I've got someone 10x as honest and 100% sweeter than any adult I could ever hang out with!!
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    You'll know when you are ready. I remember asking my husband, "Can we try having a baby?" You find that nothing really changes in your life. You might scale back on things like where you vacation to and other luxury items, but having children are a blessing, a sacrifice, something you find yourself living for.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    I finally have a good reason to get up in the morning...

best reply ever...although i doubt all the loving posts don't have teenagers yet lol
  • KMSForLife
    KMSForLife Posts: 577 Member
    There simply is no greater love. Until you have children, you'll never understand this. You may think you understand it but it is not comparable to anything.

Oh - and I have 5 children - two of them teenagers :smile: