The gym that causes me marriage stress!!

Options

Replies

• SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    When my wife and I used to go to the gym together we'd agree on a time that we'd meet in the lobby to leave. Sometimes we'd see each other and wave during the time we were there doing our things.
  • cfoster629
    Options
    LOL great post, I love it! Well, your wife just needs to understand. I went through a similar thing with my hubby. I wanted him to work out MY way, but that wasn't his thing, I got upset, cried.... but I got over it, and learned he has to do things his own way. Running / walking isn't his thing, but he loves to ride his bike. So I run and he rides if we want to do something together. Maybe you could find a compromise or make a special time for a "together" workout that you can both do to make her feel better. Good Luck!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Are your wife and my wife related? EXACT SAME almost to the T! When I jog she expects me to jog at her pace so we can talk. If I don't, she pouts (sometimes cries) and stop jogging. One time she threw her shoe at me and it hit my head.

Could this be classified as Cross Training?

No, now if it were a wrench on the other hand . . .
  • janiedoe111
    janiedoe111 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    This is awesome and hilarious. Thanks for the morning pick-me-up!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Sorry man, I wish I could be more helpful.

My boyfriend and I share a tennis club/gym at the moment. Surprisingly his idea. The first couple times we went together, he showed me 'his' routine that he feels has helped with his tennis ability. So, we did it together. Then, we branched off. I need different things than he does.

We will meet up by a watering hole here and there for a small chat about a certain exercise that killed up today. I sometimes feel a slap on the *kitten* when the gym is dead...Thats about it though.

Cling monster...I am not.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You can always ask her to lift with you. :smile:

^^This

Years ago I tried working out with my husband and we were on different pages. I wasn't into lifting and didn't think I could do it. I went to my cardio classes and lifting classes and he went into kickboxing. Now 2.5 yrs later we are both at Lifetime lifting heavy TOGETHER and its great. He spots me and then once in awhile I will TRY and spot him otherwise he'll ask a guy at the gym to spot him. Then we sometimes workout in the same area or I'll go squat and he'll do curls on the other side of the weight room. We have so much fun together and it is like our 'date' time together at night. I love looking across the gym and seeing my mom lifting heavy and he loves looking across the gym seeing me squat or doing overhead presses.

I don't think you are a bad guy at all. Maybe a heart to heart is needed. A good sit down at home might help. Sometimes couples just aren't meant to workout together. She needs to not take it so personal.
  • TNGURL
    TNGURL Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    BLESS YOUR HEART!!!!!! Ok, first of all.... you're going to look the "*kitten*" in her eye's no matter what... BUT! Be honest and tell her, you are not and will never do Zumba!!!!!! PERIOD!!! You lift weights and will continue to do so. This is not a "date" or social event. STAY STRONG AND STAND YOUR GROUND!!!!!!!!!!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    PS: And I think you score major points for going for walks and that kind of stuff outside of the gym. My husband works outside all year round so when he comes home or on the weekends the last thing he wants to do is go for a nice walk around the neighborhood. That makes me sad sometimes especially when its nice out and I want to walk the dog.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Great story!!! I feel for you, I really do. Wish I had some advice but I don't, as I wouldn't be that chick - I would give you your time to lift. Afterwards, you could always make me a sammich. :flowerforyou:
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    This is pretty funny.

We went at it from the other side - i got into lifting, and tried to encourage my husband, to the point where my trainer told me to leave the poor guy alone. But now hubby has the bug too. :D

Edit to add: But i'd never ask the poor guy to do Zumba. He'd fall on some poor thing and squash her. LOL
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    4841450_f260.jpg

these may help
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    LOL You are not horrible and you are not doing anything wrong!! (In my opinion) If you do all those other thing with her..Shopping, dinners, lake, walks ect ect..oh Chick Flicks...like she really should not be harping on you or invading your space when it comes to the one thing you want to yourself! She def should have asked before signing you up for Zumba! I would never pull that on my husband!! lol
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    :explode: that's how I feel about curling :grumble:
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    BUT how about making it a date some other way, like getting together for a smoothie afterwards, or something that reconnects you?

This. Hubby and I go to the gym at the same time but we don't workout together. (I actually hired a personal trainer and although he is MUCH more fit than I am has said that he is essentially too lazy for that kind of workout -- LOL!) But on Sundays after the gym, we go and have a smoothie or grab a sandwich and split it. :-)
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Are your wife and my wife related? EXACT SAME almost to the T! When I jog she expects me to jog at her pace so we can talk. If I don't, she pouts (sometimes cries) and stop jogging. One time she threw her shoe at me and it hit my head.

Could this be classified as Cross Training?

No, now if it were a wrench on the other hand . . .

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

YES!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Awwww come on, if you do Zumba you could totally look like this d-bag in no time! Wouldn't that be awesome?!?

zumba_man%5B2%5D.jpg
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Awwww come on, if you do Zumba you could totally look like this d-bag in no time! Wouldn't that be awesome?!?

zumba_man%5B2%5D.jpg

He's so....shiny.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Dude, she just doesn't understand is all. She is just looking for a way to spend time with you, doing what you like to do. I'd suggest to her to either 1) start lifting with you, or 2) find another thing the two of you enjoy doing. I'm the same way, I hate working out in any way with someone talking to me. I'd rather focus on the task at hand.

Or like other suggested, make the date after the gym. Like in the shower :devil:
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    WOW! That's all I can say about that. My wife & I go to the gym together from time to time, but I made sure & set some ground rules beforehand. I told her that the gym is the one place in the universe where I have total control of everything. What machine, what weights, what I listen to, how I lift (or run). I told her that if she wanted help in lifting (learning to lift) or if she had questions, I have no problem with that, but if she wanted to chit chat, that wasn't going to happen.