ladies help! my mom and girlfriend dont like each other

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    To the people saying the GF dressed like a skank, the OP does not define what "short" means in this case. I mean, was it a skirt that was almost a belt or was it three inches above her knees? And how long are her legs, because if she has very long legs a skirt that isn't actually all that short will appear to be because it will show more leg.

I think the OP is just trying to stir things up, personally, especially since he never bothered to even respond in a previous thread. But to assume "short skirt" means she dressed inappropriately or that the mother wasn't out of line is stupid without having all the facts -- and we don't.
  • 51powerski
    51powerski Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you OP, you are one of my favourite subtle trolls on this site. Your last post about your wife trying to poison you was great entertainment, and provoked the obvious ****storm.

I hope this thread will be as successful.

A+ would read again.
  • DsAdvocate
    DsAdvocate Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    To the people saying the GF dressed like a skank, the OP does not define what "short" means in this case. I mean, was it a skirt that was almost a belt or was it three inches above her knees? And how long are her legs, because if she has very long legs a skirt that isn't actually all that short will appear to be because it will show more leg.

I think the OP is just trying to stir things up, personally, especially since he never bothered to even respond in a previous thread. But to assume "short skirt" means she dressed inappropriately or that the mother wasn't out of line is stupid without having all the facts -- and we don't.

I was just going to post something like this! We have no idea what this skirt was actually like. Kinda short and tight for me may be completely different for someone else.
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    I think your gf should have had better judgement with the skirt, maybe next time you can tell her that your mom is a little more conservative so a longer skirt or pants would be good (but I'm sure she got the hint after your mothers rude comment)! And as for your mom goes, I know that family is very important, but I would never let one of my family members talk to someone I care about like! That is completely out of line! I think you owe it to your girlfriend to approach you mom and say if you don't her for her personalitly that's one thing, but to comment about her outfit and call her a hooker is completely out of line! She needs to keep her comments to herself!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you OP, you are one of my favourite subtle trolls on this site. Your last post about your wife trying to poison you was great entertainment, and provoked the obvious ****storm.

A+ would read again.

:flowerforyou:
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    They will eventually get along. Just don't get in the middle or make a big deal about it

deff this :)

i been with my husband since Oct 1999 .. i met his mom wearing pants and a t-shirt (she picked me up from the bus station as hubby got stuck at work - the day i moved to his state)

me and his mom had some bumps at 1st .. but i love her like she is my own mom
    (i dont blame her either, i was some girl he met on the internet and was 20 at the time :laugh: )
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    When meeting someone you are dating's mom for the first time, usually the girl would want to make a good impression. You should have given your gf a warning of sorts letting her know that your mother was so conservative. Maybe you gf would have made that decision on her own.
    I hope you stood up for your gf to your mother. Maybe she was just trying to see your reaction.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    First...she shouldn't have worn that short *kitten* skirt.....she was going to meet your mother for cryin out loud.

Start watching the show "Everybody Loves Raymond"......it's quite funny..might even give you some pointers on how to handle a strained MIL/DIL situation.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't matter what your girlfriend wears... she is an adult and allowed to wear what she wants... however, your mother had no right to say such inappropriate, disrespectful things.... to anyone.... ever.

That you are making excuses for her behavior shows that you think it is ok to treat someone like that... which says both a lot about how your mama raised you and you, as a man.....

if your girlfriend is smart she will run..... far.... far... far away.
  • Princessbrene
    Princessbrene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    DO NOT tell your Mom what your GF said and don't tell your GF what your Mom said. I'm not saying lie to them, I don't believe in lying, period. You also don't have to tell them every detail of what the other has said. While I love my family and am close to them, I do not need their approval on who I date. A relationship is about two people, and if those two people love each other and are a good fit for one another, that's what matters. If their families/friends really love them, they will make the effort to accept the person they choose to be with.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    This is just my personal opinion of course, but - you GF should not have to dress to impress your Mama. You obviously love her for who she is - and if a tight skirt is what she feels most comfortable in - then by all means, let her wear the damn skirt.

So you mean it is OK to wear a bikini top & a short shorts on a first meet-up if that is what you're comfortable with? Just because you're comfy to wear it doesn't mean you can do it. I have nothing against wearing a tight skirt but there is a right time & place to wear it. Would you show up in a job interview in a fortune 500 co in a sweat pants or short shorts just because that's what you find most comfortable? I don't think so.
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    They will eventually get along. Just don't get in the middle or make a big deal about it

Don't agree with this. My MIL and I still don't get along.

And PLEASE tell me you told your mother that her comment was completely inappropriate. If you can't stand up to your mother now, you never will. If your GF were asking for advice, I'd tell her to run for the hills if you didn't stand up for her.

ETA: Just saw the leav mom is not an option. Yep, if you can't put your GF who could potentially become your WIFE (i.e. #1 woman in your life. Period. End. O. Story.) first in a little thing. You will never put her first. It's your choice to be a momma's boy or to be a man.

^^I agree whole heartedly. I've been with my husband for 14 yrs, married for 9 yrs. I've never gotten along with my MIL. My husband chooses to be a momma's boy and will side with her EVERY time. It causes a lot of tension and arguments in our marriage. To the point where divorce has been on the table more than once.
  • ttate002
    ttate002 Posts: 54
    Options
    So Im taking my girlfriend to meet my mom for the first time and I notice that her skirt is kinda short and tight. I know my mom will notice this too but after a previous post I did on mfp where I was called a jerk several hundred times I decide not to mention anything to the girlfriend about her attire. At the dinner my mom says to the gf "so what do u do?" The gf says "I'm a project mgr for a fortune 500 co." My mom says " well with a skirt that tight and a Butt that big I bet u could make a fortune in the projects as a Hooker, hahaha " ( my mom like me lacks tact and is kinda getting senile). My gf is extremely offended and when we leave she says "I don't think I'm going to like your mom". My mom text me and says "your gf is a stick in the mud who dresses like a tramp I'm quite sure I'm not going to like her".

How should I go forward? Do I try to get them together again, leave the girlfriend, leave my mom (this is actually not an option) or not really care?

I just want to apologize for everyone that clearly disrespected your mother on this message board! Maybe she was a little harsh what she said to your girl's face, but older people are known for NOT giving a **** about what comes out of their mouth. My dad is a Vietnam Veteran and will cuss you out in a heartbeat for anything. LOL! He is also a laugh riot. She should have known better though than to wear that! You steer on the conservative side when trying to make first impressions (common sense) and I don't know who said you shouldn't have told her anything, but you should have. I bet she would NOT have worn that to an interview and essentially meeting your mom was an interview (she was trying to make a good impression and get the "job" [the good graces of a person who love and adore]). I think both parties should apologize and move on. Your girl should apologize for wearing that attire and ultimately disrespecting your mother and her beliefs. Older people have a way of being extra offended about ANYTHING! Also, your mom should apologize for hurting your girl's feelings (even though she obviously meant what she said)! She may be reluctant to, but if she loves you, wants the best for you, and wants to see you happy then maybe she will make this exception and your girl to. I do wish you luck. Tough situation to be in, but believe me, I've been there.
  • MsKekeSoFocused
    MsKekeSoFocused Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't matter what your girlfriend wears... she is an adult and allowed to wear what she wants... however, your mother had no right to say such inappropriate, disrespectful things.... to anyone.... ever.

That you are making excuses for her behavior shows that you think it is ok to treat someone like that... which says both a lot about how your mama raised you and you, as a man.....

if your girlfriend is smart she will run..... far.... far... far away.

WOW!!!! SMDH
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

A+ would read again.

Oh dear! I missed that one.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    First off, you shouldn't let your mother disrespect your girlfriend like that.

Second, If you really like this woman and are in it for the long haul both ladies are going to have to learn to tolerate each other. They do not necessarily have to like one another, but respect is due on both sides. You can't marry your mother, so don't let her scare your girlfriend away... or you will be alone the rest of your life!
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

A+ would read again.

damn!! I KNEW he looked familiar...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You should just have a baby with her. Then mom will become grandma, and will be to busy spoiling her grandchild.
    your Gf won't be able to wear tight skirts for a wile either.

Problem solved.

You always give the best advice.

I do. This is also 100% true!
  • MsKekeSoFocused
    MsKekeSoFocused Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    So Im taking my girlfriend to meet my mom for the first time and I notice that her skirt is kinda short and tight. I know my mom will notice this too but after a previous post I did on mfp where I was called a jerk several hundred times I decide not to mention anything to the girlfriend about her attire. At the dinner my mom says to the gf "so what do u do?" The gf says "I'm a project mgr for a fortune 500 co." My mom says " well with a skirt that tight and a Butt that big I bet u could make a fortune in the projects as a Hooker, hahaha " ( my mom like me lacks tact and is kinda getting senile). My gf is extremely offended and when we leave she says "I don't think I'm going to like your mom". My mom text me and says "your gf is a stick in the mud who dresses like a tramp I'm quite sure I'm not going to like her".

How should I go forward? Do I try to get them together again, leave the girlfriend, leave my mom (this is actually not an option) or not really care?

I just want to apologize for everyone that clearly disrespected your mother on this message board! Maybe she was a little harsh what she said to your girl's face, but older people are known for NOT giving a **** about what comes out of their mouth. My dad is a Vietnam Veteran and will cuss you out in a heartbeat for anything. LOL! He is also a laugh riot. She should have known better though than to wear that! You steer on the conservative side when trying to make first impressions (common sense) and I don't know who said you shouldn't have told her anything, but you should have. I bet she would NOT have worn that to an interview and essentially meeting your mom was an interview (she was trying to make a good impression and get the "job" [the good graces of a person who love and adore]). I think both parties should apologize and move on. Your girl should apologize for wearing that attire and ultimately disrespecting your mother and her beliefs. Older people have a way of being extra offended about ANYTHING! Also, your mom should apologize for hurting your girl's feelings (even though she obviously meant what she said)! She may be reluctant to, but if she loves you, wants the best for you, and wants to see you happy then maybe she will make this exception and your girl to. I do wish you luck. Tough situation to be in, but believe me, I've been there.

DEFINITELY THIS^^^^ FINALLY, someone who is not disrespecting his mother..
  • Betabefit
    Betabefit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I am like your mother. When my son is old enough to bring a girl home she BETTA NOT be dressed inappropriately or she will get called out and maybe even kicked out. I think you should have fun in this relationship but keep your eyes open to determine if she is really right for you. No man has a chance being with me long term if my family doesn't like him, that may be harsh but my family loves me and wants the best for me and I trust their taste. So I side with your mom. Date the girl but by all means DON't marry her! :wink: