Counting coffee as water consumption?

Options

Replies

• misslilylou
    misslilylou Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I read through the Mayo Clinic article that was posted and it said that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you drink 5-7 cups of coffee a DAY, which I don't do. I have one, MAYBE two cups in the morning and none after that. I stick with water and milk after that. So, I'm inclined to believe that my morning coffee is not going to dehydrate me, therefore I will probably count it towards my water consumption. Some days I don't drink enough water, especially on days when I work, because Target won't let you have water with you at your lane (boo) and so I'd like to think my morning coffee is part of my daily water consumption!
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Oh Lord, here we go again ...

tumblr_kz0zm13TVG1qzc8rmo1_250.gif
  • cimonroe
    cimonroe Posts: 36
    Options
    depends on how much coffee you drink
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    coffee dehydrates.

so if I drink 200 ml of coffee, of which 199ml is water, does this effect extend beyond the water in the coffee and if so by how much ?

I drink very little water as water, but masses as coffee. By your reckoning I'm dead already.

^^I only ever drink water during my workouts and only really becuse I am worried about knocking my latter over!

The dehyradating effectect of coffee is minescule - and far outweighed by the actual water (or milk) in coffee.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Water:

1.A colorless, transparent, odorless, tasteless liquid that forms the seas, lakes, rivers, and rain and is the basis of the fluids of living organisms
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how coffee is 99.99% water...yeah, I'd count it.
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I wish I could count coffee as water. But for me, coffee is a total diuretic. I swear I pee out five times as much as I drink. :(
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I do BC the main ingredient in my coffee is water and I pee it out so water it is. I also include my Crystal light as water.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Coffee does not dehydrate - that is a myth.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/health/nutrition/04real.html

Caffeinated drinks do hydrate you.

Source: http://www.jacn.org/content/19/5/591.long

Key excerpt:

"This preliminary study found no significant differences in the effect of various combinations of beverages on hydration status of healthy adult males. Advising people to disregard caffeinated beverages as part of the daily fluid intake is not substantiated by the results of this study."

THANK YOU for posting this, I was about to go find the same thing!

In short, YES caffeine DOES dehydrate to a very small extent, but the amount of hydration you get from coffee/tea greatly exceeds the amount of dehydration the caffeine might cause.

So to answer your question: I log iced tea (as long as it has no sweetener, including artificial stuff!) and BLACK coffee as water, yes.

Totally agree - except for the fact that milk can count towards your fluid intake.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I think the bottled water industry beat you to it long ago with the propaganda, so you're pushing water (or coffee) up hill with a comb.

Everyone walks round like GIs in Gulf War I with bottles of water nowadays, in the 70s I was working hard manual labour without a thought to such practices. LOL.

Im convinced the obligatory bottle of evian everyone seems to be clutching at desperately no matter where you go these days is a fashion accessory, nothing more.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    ALL drinks count towards water consumption - you'd have to drink A LOT of tea/coffee in order for it to act as a dehydrator. Personally, I only log water on the cup counter thingy.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have given up a lot of things in order to lose weight but I will NEVER EVER GIVE UP MY COFFEE! It is a fluid. Liquid form. Flavoured hot water.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I wish I could count coffee as water. But for me, coffee is a total diuretic. I swear I pee out five times as much as I drink. :(

No, when you pee like that after drinking a lot of coffee, it's because your body has taken in as much water as it needs, and is ridding itself of the rest.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I only water is counted as water.

I feel like if your body has to seperate anything from the water, it's not water anymore.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My understanding of the idea that "coffee dehydrates" is that coffee is simply a diuretic. If you poop more (especially liquid-y poop) then water is being expelled from your system.

Therefore it's not that when you add coffee to your system it magically subtracts water from your system; that doesn't make sense. Rather, by drinking coffee, you are encouraging your body to poop faster, and THAT expels water from your system.

From other posts, it sounds like replacing the water that you expel via poops with an extra glass of water should equalize the situation.

Hence, coffee should actually be counted as a NEGATIVE water from your intake. Not due to the caffeine or sugar, but because coffee itself causes you to poop.

#poops #solutiontoeverything
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    My doctor has told me time and time again it counts, everyone says this to me but my dietician on the otherhand does not agree. I agree 100% with my dietician, the way I see it is it's not if it has caffeine in it(a teabag, coffee beans, etc). I drink a small bottle of flavoured water most days but I wouldn't count them as it's got sweeteners and such in them.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I count mine... Sipping mine right now. And it is DELICIOUS!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I do not count it as water. Here is why:

Coffee's caffeine effects your metabolic rate. Even decaf effects my blood pressure.

Coffee is not a dieuretic (let me know if you need some references), it is a laxative. If you have a high fiber diet going it's not really good for you.

Coffee can damage the lining of the gastrointestinal organs, causing gastritis and ulcers.

Coffee interferes with the absorption of supplemental iron. Since I usually run borderline anemic, it's not for me.

If you're pregnant, absolutely it doesn't count. Google coffee and miscarriages.

Jury's out on if the preservatives in roated coffee are carcinogens. So I sort of take it with a grain of salt.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I count it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    but because coffee itself causes you to poop

I tend to pee out fluids, rather than poop them. Your mileage may vary.

Try weighing your poop and measuring your pee for a day, you'll get it right then.

Water in = water out. H2O is H2O.

Amusingly "dehydration" is more to do with salt than water. That's why you air drop rehydration salts - a powder in a sachet - into famine areas.