Counting coffee as water consumption?

Options

Replies

• SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I count water as water, coffee as coffee, juice as juice, WINE AS WINE...

If you want to drink the water drink it. If not don't. There's no point in trying to calculate the total "moisture" consumed.

I HATE to drink water but if I want to loose weight, think more clearly, and digest all of these damned vegetables (does watermelon count as water?) then I'm drinking the water...

BTW-room temperature quart bottle by your desk will just about do it.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Oh Lord, here we go again ...

tumblr_kz0zm13TVG1qzc8rmo1_250.gif

HAHA, the daily "does coffee count as water" post!
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I do not count it as water. Here is why:

Coffee's caffeine effects your metabolic rate. Even decaf effects my blood pressure.

Coffee is not a dieuretic (let me know if you need some references), it is a laxative. If you have a high fiber diet going it's not really good for you.

Coffee can damage the lining of the gastrointestinal organs, causing gastritis and ulcers.

Coffee interferes with the absorption of supplemental iron. Since I usually run borderline anemic, it's not for me.

If you're pregnant, absolutely it doesn't count. Google coffee and miscarriages.

Jury's out on if the preservatives in roated coffee are carcinogens. So I sort of take it with a grain of salt.

Well that just took the wind out of my sails. Is 1 or 2 (at the most) coffees a day harmful to my health?
  • coconutbuNZ
    Options
    Water:

1.A colorless, transparent, odorless, tasteless liquid that forms the seas, lakes, rivers, and rain and is the basis of the fluids of living organisms

And is also the basis in the formation of coffee lol
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I count mine... Sipping mine right now. And it is DELICIOUS!

^^
    This.

I like my water black.:heart:
  • jessicataylor2
    Options
    I don't count anything besides straight up water. No teas or coffee. I don't even count the water that I add crystal light packets to.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Yes I do count my coffees and teas because it is basically just flavoured water.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    do you know how much coffee you would need to drink for it to dehydrate you?

it's 90% water, and it would take a whole whole lot for it to dehydrate and negate the water in it
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee daily, but when I do I log it as water. I also drink carbonated flavored water and add those little 10 calorie drink mixes and count those as water as well. If I mix my protein shake with water that gets logged too.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    The research I've done (I wanted to see how it measured up to water, green tea, and rooiboo tea, aka red tea), indicates 1 - 2 cups a day can be beneficial in relationship to lowering blood sugar, reducing risks of contracting diseases such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer's Diseases, and acting as an antioxidant. I was just answering her question of do I don't count coffee as water when I drink it and if not, why. I do consume coffee on occassion but when I do, I still drink my water.
  • Shauna641
    Options
    I can only state my experience... When I drink coffee in the morning and then drink water I have to pee a lot more. When I just drink the water I don't have to nearly as much. This is why I do believe it dehydrates me. That being said I like to have 1-2 cups in the AM and I think the caffeine helps me push more in my workouts. I just make sure I drink enough water throughout the day. I would absolutely not count anything but water as water. I found that the more water I drink the more I crave it.
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Really, whatever works for you.

Interesting article (for you beer drinkers, beer counts too but don't forget to record it for the calories -- lol):

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/wonders-of-water
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    It's not water, it's coffee.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I don't, only because I liek to log how much water I drink for interest. It does count towards hydration though. I don't stress it though. I drink when I am thirsty
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Flavored water, is flavored water... That would be just like saying Propel water and crystal light don't count
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't always drink water...but when I do, I prefer diet.
  • Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee but I wouldn't count it because of the sugars, and caffeine. I only log water, crystal light, and other sugar free beverages (besides diet soda) I never had sugar drinks in my house because my dad's a diabetic.
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I count it, and I also count my non-sweet ice tea too.
  • coconutbuNZ
    Options

It IS water flavoured with coffee!

If the inner stomach could talk, it would say something like this:
    Hello what is this? Fluid. Brown coloured fluid. Is it a solid food? No. Is it water? Hell I don't know! Is it a fluid? YES
    Is it a liquid? YES

Does the body need fluids? YES

Is too much coffee bad for you? Probably

Is it OK to have coffee in moderation? YES
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My understanding of the idea that "coffee dehydrates" is that coffee is simply a diuretic. If you poop more (especially liquid-y poop) then water is being expelled from your system.

Therefore it's not that when you add coffee to your system it magically subtracts water from your system; that doesn't make sense. Rather, by drinking coffee, you are encouraging your body to poop faster, and THAT expels water from your system.

From other posts, it sounds like replacing the water that you expel via poops with an extra glass of water should equalize the situation.

Hence, coffee should actually be counted as a NEGATIVE water from your intake. Not due to the caffeine or sugar, but because coffee itself causes you to poop.

#poops #solutiontoeverything

A diuretic causes you to pee more, not poo more