Over 60, I am NOT willing to give UP! Anyone my age??

Options
I love all the success pictures, it is so inspiring, I want one to be me!! I need to know I am not alone anyone over 60? It is so different trying to lose weight when you are over 50 or 60. I want to get where I want to be, not always on the journey to get there. Does that make sense? I really hope I am not alone.....anyone. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :blushing:

Replies

• holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I am 61. No you are not alone. I've been with MFP since the beginning of Jan.2012 and lost 33 so far. I have a long way to go. Easter foods slowed me down a bit. However, this is the longest that I've made a concerted effort.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My grandmother, at age 76, lost 60 lbs and has kept it off for 5 years. It CAN be done. Don't blame your age, just do what the rest of us do: move more and eat less.

Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • redpaisleyrose
    Options
    I am actually just 62, I have learned a lot over the years about losing weight. One of the main things is making, "good food choices" and "if you bite it write it down". Chewing gum helps, especially minty flavored ones. Then of course there is exercise. What helps you stay on track? Thanks.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I like that MFP takes care of my food diary. I could always lose weight when I wrote it downbut soon got lazy. Now it is just a click of the button.:wink:
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    The best time to start is to start. no matter what age, 57 here and feeling pretty good about myself right now. I'm making strides and I'm enjoying it. MFP is the best place to be.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    Logging exactly what I eat is 90% of the solution, IMO. 55 here. Was feeling pretty old at 54. Getting younger at 55.! :)
  • mikhar
    mikhar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, Well I am not over 60 but I am 59 and am glad to see responses of older as well as the younger crowd. Too often it is the "All or nothing attitudes that get us into trouble" so when we fail or slip we are discouraged and fall off the wagon. I am just recently new in this MFP community and I know it will be the fellowship of community that will help you and I succeed. Good Luck..Mike
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm 57, and definitely want to take a slow, but steady approach to losing weight. At this age, the idea of yo-yo-ing back up just isn't worth it. So my goal is to lose 1/2 to 1 pound a week.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'm in my late sixties. I find it hard to lose weight, not so much because of age, but due to the medications I take. Some of them actually promote weight gain. Nonetheless, I do lose it. I think it's different when we're older. It's not as easy or as much fun. But it's a goal worth achieving at any age. There are lots of older people here and they're all just great. At least the ones I friend.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    I am 61-years-old. You are not alone. It is definitely harder at our age to lose weight, but I am proof positive you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

You can do this too.

11613466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    62 here, and making good progress, without dieting! I just love this website and the tools it gives you. I'm half-way there, and feeling healthier and fitter by the second. Of course, our age brings its own challenges, physical ones, in that we tire quickly and take more time to recover than someone half our age. And I love the community here.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I'm 59. Reduced my body fat % by 10% since late January, have gone done nearly two trouser sizes. I lift weights 4xs a week. I do cardio on the elliptical 3xs weekly. On "non-gym" days, I take 30-45 min bike rides. I eat hearty!
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    55 here, began a completely vegetarian diet last July after fluctuating for years, avid walker, just started running with the Couch to 5K program, feel better, am in better health than ever, excited about every aspect of life at this point. :) I feel the same: I will NEVER give up!! It's not about living forever, it's about quality of that life.

Becca
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm not 60 yet but closing in at 58. Never to old to start taking care of ourselves. This website is a good tool with a great community to help us all achieve our goals. Add me if you want although i am a bit shy on posting. :)
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    75 and holding
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Soon to be 61. Love MFP and all the support I found on this site!
  • sparklehips
    Options
    Hello! I am going to be 65 in another month and I REFUSE to give up. We all go through ups and downs of our lives but I think getting older is in many ways a plus. Happy to hear from you! :heart:
  • mariannesbarnett
    Options
    I am 70 and I have lost over 17 lbs and weigh 119 lbs now and have 4 lbs to go. I have COPD and found my breathing is so much better now and I am not wheezing anymore. I do walk on my treadmill and ride my bike too. Just got back from a family trip to Florida and I went on a 23 mile bike ride with my daughter and family and it was so much easier than last year...Keep on keeping on. Don't give up...never give up, Marianne
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i am 59. I joined MFP in January this year and love this site which gives me inspiration, hope, support and education as well on different topics. Just reading the stories and knowing I am not alone in this long journey is very comforting. I have lost about 15 pounds since January and feel great. I will achieve my goal slowly but steadily. I am never going to give up. Good luck.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am 55. This site has been the best thing. I have lost 45lbs. Some before I started here. But here really kept me motivated. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.