Over 60, I am NOT willing to give UP! Anyone my age??

Options

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Me, I am 61, been here 2 years! My life boat and fountain of youth. Friend me if you like.
  • SoCal310
    SoCal310 Posts: 3
    Options
    I am 54, is that close enough? I know what you mean about not willing to give up, I have 100 pounds to loose and hope joining "My Fitness Pal" will do the trick! Okay, MFP plus will power and determination.
  • mkvilmin
    mkvilmin Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm realitivly new here at MFP. But would love if we could be friends here. I am 56/57 and want to get healthy.
  • greatwood1
    greatwood1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I am 71 and determined to stop prediabetes in its tracks. I have lost 12 pounds since April 1 by avoiding white flour, sugar, and starchy pastas and vegetables. I am walking 3 miles a day. You are right, it is harder to exercise and change eating habits at this point in our lives. But we also have some advantages. I have my husband's health issues and schedule and other commitments to honor, but because I no longer have children at home, I have more flexibility in planning exercise and meals. I have skills in creative food preparation I had not acquired in younger years. I chronicle some of the recipes and ways I am altering them for this weight loss and health adenture in my blog which you are welcome to view www.kitchenkeepers.wordpress.com
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm 58, and started here only 8 months ago. The support of all of my friends along with the tools that MFP provides have been keys to my success here. I'm healthier, feeling great, and ran my first 5k on Saturday! Take a look at my blog if you want to gain some insight into my journey here. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/wisebadger53
  • bp716
    bp716 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Thanks for the links, being somewhat technically challenged, these will help me find where I fit in!!
  • bp716
    Options
    Hi,

I just turned 65 on Friday and I am convinced that this time I will be successful at losing the weight I have gained over the past 15 years. In the past, I was successful several times on Weight Watchers but I didn't seem to have the same success this time. Then i discovered myfitnesspal and I am motivated again.

I also joined a gym near my office but I pulled a muscle in my leg several weeks ago and was limping until yesterday. I hope to go back this week. I've been thinking about exercise for older women but I didn't find anything so that's why I joined the gym with a friend. I've heard that if you can do even 30 minutes a day of walking it is helpful for both health and weight loss. It seems like a modest goal s that's my plan now that I can walk again. When I was going, I basically walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I'm trying to close work up to a more ambitious program.

So, I was glad to learn that I am not the only older woman and myfitnesspal. My 25 year old daughter is also using it.

hi Kathy! I am 54, birthday coming up in July and new to MFP. My 24 year old daughter is also here, it is fun to be working this together. Walking has become my friend, we will be doing a 5 K fund raiser for the San Diego blood bank ( my son has had 4 heart surgeries) in July, she will run, I will walk it.
    Feel free to add me as a friend! Barb
  • bp716
    Options
    I am 54, is that close enough? I know what you mean about not willing to give up, I have 100 pounds to loose and hope joining "My Fitness Pal" will do the trick! Okay, MFP plus will power and determination.

Hi SoCal310! I also am in So Cal, the IE to be specific. New to MFP, I wan the second half of my 50's to be healthier than the first half!!! Feel free to add me as a friend! Barb
  • Clontarf57
    Clontarf57 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm hitting 55 this year and have lost 10 kilos so far. I've cut down on carbs and it seems to have really helped shift some of the weight around my middle.

Anyway, nice to be here and to be able to chat with people in the same boat.
  • DebBiver
    DebBiver Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just joined two days ago. As I age, I find it harder to be successful and keep it up. I would like to lose 40-50 pounds. Weightwatchers at the office is good, but everyone is much younger than I am and seem to have different issues that take up our meetings. I am about to turn 61 and really need to lose weight. I would like to live a healthier life for many more years. I need motivation to stay on track. I was happy to see this topic.

I would love to run. I never have before. I tried a few months ago but ended up with pain to the left of my right knee. Not an injury. Just a pain. Has anyone had that problem? Do you just run any way?
  • rmalford
    rmalford Posts: 58
    Options
    Looks like you're ( we're) not alone. 64 here, the new 40 but with all the accrued damage.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I just joined two days ago. As I age, I find it harder to be successful and keep it up. I would like to lose 40-50 pounds. Weightwatchers at the office is good, but everyone is much younger than I am and seem to have different issues that take up our meetings. I am about to turn 61 and really need to lose weight. I would like to live a healthier life for many more years. I need motivation to stay on track. I was happy to see this topic.

I would love to run. I never have before. I tried a few months ago but ended up with pain to the left of my right knee. Not an injury. Just a pain. Has anyone had that problem? Do you just run any way?

There's a site called Couch to 5k c25k.com - I'm not a runner but many people swear by it to get running. As far as younger folks having different issues, yea that's a fact. Actually I'm glad I"m past those issues! But I do wish the weight would move like it did when I was 20. Oh well.

I've started lifting weights and I'm following New Rules of Lifting for Women. It will take at least 6 months to complete and I plan on having a killer body by then! :smile:
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I am 62 and have lost 13 pounds and gained strength and now can walk further and faster.I love MFP and all the great people here. GOOD LUCK!
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm 68 years old. I'm losing weight. :smile:
    Today in FT I learned I have one leg shorter than the other and maybe this is why I have hip pain and haven't been able to walk very fast.
  • JudiPD
    JudiPD Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and walk daily with my friend who is 65. my scale hasn't gone down yet but I feel better - can walk longer and faster than when I started. I, like you, am not going to give up. We oldies can do this.:drinker:
  • Rhyannyn
    Rhyannyn Posts: 10
    Options
    :smile: I've been 60 for 25 days and just beginning. You've already inspired me - thanks!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! So inspiring!! I'll be 54 in October! I started working out when I was 19 years old.....haven't stopped yet and don't plan to anytime soon!!!
  • lovetoteachone
    Options
    Trying MFP. Let's see where it leads me. I'm 54 with a 15 year old daughter who just went into remission from Hodgkins Lymphoma (cancer) She is my inspiration. If she could get through chemo, I can loose weight. Plus, I want to be as active as possible for her. Have about 40 pounds to loose but am going for the first five. Glad to be here ladies!!! Reading posts has only solidified my purpose.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I'm 52 with challenges (neurodegenerative disorder and in a wheelchair) and I am doing it. I'm banded and it does help with my out of control appetite (now I have the appetite of a normal person) but I still have to move my butt and eat less!

I think that menopause makes it harder for us but not impossible!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Another 60 year old here. I signed up on MFP in February, but did not start my journey until March 12th. I have a long way to go, but I have lost over 50 pounds already and know that I could never have done it without journaling everything that goes into my mouth. Another thing that really keeps me going is all of the success stories here. It was really inspiring to read all of the comments on this thread. It is good to know that there are others here in my age group.