Over 60, I am NOT willing to give UP! Anyone my age??

Options

Replies

• spokaloo
    spokaloo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm not, but my mother is and would love some friends her age that can join her on the journey. I will send you a friend request w/ her screen name so that you can friend her as well :)
  • bayoubelle7
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I love this topic of Over 60. I'm 70, and loving eating healthy and exercising. My weight is OK, but I work hard to feel great, beat osteoporosis, and live a lot longer. Posting what I eat keeps me very aware of the choices I make. A big part of health for me is exercise. I don't have the self discipline of some of you all, so I go to exercise classes. If I show up for class, I'll do all the reps. My favorites are Pilates and Strength Training. In Strength Training I'm clearly the oldest participant, by many years, and I can't lift as much weight as the 30-somethings, but I keep lifting my 10 lbs, again and again, and it is really paying off. I'm off my osteoporosis meds altogether!! Thanks for the support of my online friends here at MFP, and to my daughter, who inspired me to join.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've just jointed MFP a couple of days ago. I'll be turning 60 in a couple of months and I'd sure like to celebrate this birthday with a lighter body! I`ve been on and off of diets for the past 30+ years. When I stopped smoking in 1981, I gained 100 lbs over the following few years. I managed to loose a good amount on the Atkins diet but, had to go off of that due to the effect is was having on my heart. Much of what I had lost came back on. I tried to convince myself for quite a number of years that I was happy just the way I was but.... really, I`m not.

I was considered thin as a kid and through my teens and early twenties, and its always been difficult for me to see myself as being heavy. Its only when I see myself in a picture or an unexpected reflection that I realize my true size. I`m a skinny person stuck in a fat body, at least in my brain.

I`m here hoping that using this program to track my food and exercise will be the catalyst to loose the weight. My exercise options are somewhat limited as I have had both hips replaced. I also broke both arms in a car accident in April so anything with weight is out for the next few months.

I`d love to have friends on here who have similar challenges.
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    bump, I am sixty and trying to end my yo yo dieting and putting off living my life because I am too fat. We just have to take it slow and if we mess up, start over. Add me as a friend, we can help each other.
  • anitan59
    anitan59 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have just joined today. I will be 53 in a couple of months. You are not alone. I am disabled now due to health issues from being over weight. I am ready to make a change, a life change. I am tired of sitting at home while everyone else is out living life. It is time to join my family again. javascript:add_smiley('smile','post_body')
  • Monkeybutt48
    Monkeybutt48 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    63 here. just started a few weeks ago but have lost 20lbs. so far. It is more difficult to lose as you get older, but I am determined to give it my best shot!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    62 Here and MFP has been a real help in tracking what you eat.
  • Engelcrt
    Engelcrt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I turned 65 in April. Just retired over a month ago. Joint MFP on May 30th. I lost 4 lbs. so far. Started out with 160 lbs.
    I used to hate recording my food intake. However, for some reason since joining MFP, I got so excited with food tracking.
    MFP prediction is I will lose 0.6 lb. per week, however, so far I have lost 4 lbs. in 2 weeks, meaning I lost a lot more than what MFP has predicted. I am really excited, hopefully I will reach my goal of 140 lbs. soon. Once I reach my goal, not sure how many more pounds I want to lose. I don't want to have a goal that is beyond my reach, one step at a time.
    I am sure you can reach your goal together with the other MFP members. Believe in yourself ! Age is not an obstacle.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    I am definitely over 60...65...I have lost 35 lbs. since joining MFP on Jan 20, 2012. Great pals are on this site. We each must move at our pace, then keep making smaller challenges until one day...we will not have flappy bat wings:) ARMS..hehe
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am definitely over 60...65...I have lost 35 lbs. since joining MFP on Jan 20, 2012. Great pals are on this site. We each must move at our pace, then keep making smaller challenges until one day...we will not have flappy bat wings:) ARMS..hehe

I can't wait to see my flappy arms go... also, my front overhang (apron) has GOT to go!!
  • DebBiver
    DebBiver Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the tip on the website. Couch to 5k Running Plan. Hopefully it will give me some ideas on how I can begin at this time in life. I really love this website. It is great to know I am not alone and there are many people out there just like me.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    So how many of us are weight lifters? Are you just starting or have you been lifting al along.

I'm using New Rules of Lifting for Women, literally have just started (3rd workout day). The max # of days suggested is 3 lifting days per week. I wonder if I can do or should do other types of workouts during my off days. I walk quite a bit, depending on the day. I stopped using the NYC subways, and started walking everywhere, and get in between 2 - 3 miles on work days,

I'd love to hear what y'all are doing
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I love seeing this post. I can make some new friends. I turned 61 in January and of course, am struggling with losing weight.
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yes, don't give up. As someone previously said, 'eat less, move more'. I've lost 15 lbs in 13 weeks and started the C25K yesterday. It works. The best is yet to come.
  • karenns
    karenns Posts: 5
    Options
    65 here. I lost 28 lbs with MFP a couple of years ago, then had a very stressful couple of years - lost my Mom, retired, sold my house, moved from Virginia to Canada, put most of it back. Now I'm back, exercising regularly and trying to eat appropriately. It's not easy, but I'm beginning to see results. I did it once, I can do it again.

It's great to see so many seniors and about-to-be seniors. It seems that most of the people who post are the young cuties. We can be just as cute and have our wisdom, too.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    55 here, losing weight, getting fit, lifting heavy and getting stronger.

It is more difficult but we can do it no matter what our age. :drinker:
  • willy0524
    willy0524 Posts: 1,897
    Options
    Turned 61 in Feb and started the new journey (don't like the diet word) at the beginning of the year. It's been tough but thinking its a life change instead of the other makes it a little more managable.
    Age is just a number, that small grey area between your ears is what can make it or break it.

Any of you oldies wanna friend feel free to add. :drinker:
  • jendan44
    jendan44 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am turning 56 in September and I am still losing even though it is slow. It is about a lifestyle change for me and losing weight is important to my overall health and well being. Also, I do not want to gain back the weight that I did lose. I was at 164 at one point and that is a number I do not want to see for me anymore.
  • KathleenC12
    KathleenC12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm 64, and yes, it is harder than in preceding decades, but I'm also more willing to take it slowly. Just in my first month here and really like the online diary. Also, 3-4x @ gym for treadmill/weights, and yoga at home.

We can't give up, and what has motivated me this time, more than dress size, is a surprise discovery of high blood pressure. With a family history of heart problems and diabetes, time to get absolutely serious. I am 5' 9 and have set a goal to be in the normal BMI range (the top of the range is fine) @ 180, which means a 15 lb loss.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I am 66 and yes it gets harder with each decade. I will not give up this time. I am here to stay. I will be the fittest and healthiest I have ever been in my life. What keeps me motivated is my son has all these heart problems and he just will not lose weight . He did quit smoking, but I am praying I am leading by example to my family. So wish I had all these tools when I was younger.

I am now doing strength training along with the elliptical. I want more muscles than fat.

I will not be told I CAN'T by anyone.
    I will do the very best I can each and every day til I leave this world:)

I'm a much happier person with 45 lbs lost. I wear a 6 petite blouse and a 6 petite natural waist jeans. The size is not as important as the MUSLES I am beginning to see where I never had any!

Tks for posting this.:smile: