I hate water

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Here. There's your citation you called for.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/541881-caffeine-and-muscle-cramps/

Including their sources at the bottom of the article.
    What exactly is this supposed to show? I don't see any scientific evidence related to caffeine and hydration in any of the cited sources, nor really in the article itself.

It wasn't in reply to hydration. It was in reply to my input earlier, saying that too much caffeine can cause muscle cramps. I'm not getting into this war you guys have going on when it comes to water and other sources of hydration. I merely suggested a way for her to try to learn to like water. I myself have suffered from muscle cramps in my legs when I had absolutely nothing to drink all day except caffeinated drinks. That is when I looked up any possible causes for it and found the link between my day and possible causes was caffeine intake. And I believe I found it on webmd.com, not this article.

Like I said though, I'm not getting in on this war you guys have going on. I didn't say anything about hydration.
    Muscle leg cramps are generally caused by Potassium deficiency, in like 99% of everything I've read. I'm not sure if caffeine has any effect on potassium metabolism or not, like it does with calcium (caffeine was the culprit behind the "phosphoric acid leaches calcium " argument against soda. The really interesting thing about the results from the studies about it showed that caffeine consumption increased calcium loss during consumption, but the human body decreased calcium loss for the remainder of the day, leading to a 24 hour net difference of zero compared to a control group that consumed no caffeine.)
  • SarahFab19
    SarahFab19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have also struggled with not drinking enough water. I have started forcing myself to drink a lot more water especially on days when I am going to the gym (if I don't I get really really bad headaches). I have found that oddly enough drinking water from one of the sport top bottles helps me drink so much more - no idea why but I love them and now they are all I will buy.

If I am really in a rut and need to drink water and don't want to I try adding fresh squeezed lemon juice to it. If that doesn't work sometimes I add just a touch of cranberry juice. When all else fails I had half powerade half water and include the powerade info into my daily counts.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options

What exactly is this supposed to show? I don't see any scientific evidence related to caffeine and hydration in any of the cited sources, nor really in the article itself.

It wasn't in reply to hydration. It was in reply to my input earlier, saying that too much caffeine can cause muscle cramps. I'm not getting into this war you guys have going on when it comes to water and other sources of hydration. I merely suggested a way for her to try to learn to like water. I myself have suffered from muscle cramps in my legs when I had absolutely nothing to drink all day except caffeinated drinks. That is when I looked up any possible causes for it and found the link between my day and possible causes was caffeine intake. And I believe I found it on webmd.com, not this article.

Like I said though, I'm not getting in on this war you guys have going on. I didn't say anything about hydration.

The thing is, she didn't ask for ways to like plain water. She asked for things to make hydration taste "not like water." As I pointed out, there has not been proved a causative connection, nor even really a correlative one, between caffeine and cramps. One guy doesn't a study make. It's interesting. It is. I'll be watching it. But your personal anecdotal evidence adds nothing to the already skimpy scientific data.

And that's fine, that she didn't ask for ways to like water, but what's wrong with people suggesting ways for her to try? And you know, just because my experience doesn't help prove anything, does that mean I'm not supposed to say anything about it? I am taking evening primrose oil supplement, and the nurse at my doctor's office said that it can make your breasts very sore and tender. Just because she didn't give me scientific sources, does that mean I shouldn't believe her? Does that mean she shouldn't have said anything to me? This website is for people to help each other, and that is what all of us are offering, except for some of you who are picking on people and saying "prove it! prove it!" to our suggestions. Not all of us run to the computer to check sources when we hear of somebody's experience or opinion to prove them wrong or right. Forgive me for having better things to do with my time. But not all of us are completely gullible believing everything we hear either.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

Muscle leg cramps are generally caused by Potassium deficiency, in like 99% of everything I've read. I'm not sure if caffeine has any effect on potassium metabolism or not, like it does with calcium (caffeine was the culprit behind the "phosphoric acid leaches calcium " argument against soda. The really interesting thing about the results from the studies about it showed that caffeine consumption increased calcium loss during consumption, but the human body decreased calcium loss for the remainder of the day, leading to a 24 hour net difference of zero compared to a control group that consumed no caffeine.)
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I was just offering something from my own struggles and experience. I used to gag when trying to drink water, too.

We are so bombarded with chemicals, fake flavors and over-use of sugars that we've trained ourselves into thinking something plain is disgusting. It took a week of removing that crap from diet to appreciate water for what it was.
  • FitLink
    Options

The thing is, she didn't ask for ways to like plain water. She asked for things to make hydration taste "not like water." As I pointed out, there has not been proved a causative connection, nor even really a correlative one, between caffeine and cramps. One guy doesn't a study make. It's interesting. It is. I'll be watching it. But your personal anecdotal evidence adds nothing to the already skimpy scientific data.

And that's fine, that she didn't ask for ways to like water, but what's wrong with people suggesting ways for her to try? And you know, just because my experience doesn't help prove anything, does that mean I'm not supposed to say anything about it? I am taking evening primrose oil supplement, and the nurse at my doctor's office said that it can make your breasts very sore and tender. Just because she didn't give me scientific sources, does that mean I shouldn't believe her? Does that mean she shouldn't have said anything to me? This website is for people to help each other, and that is what all of us are offering, except for some of you who are picking on people and saying "prove it! prove it!" to our suggestions. Not all of us run to the computer to check sources when we hear of somebody's experience or opinion to prove them wrong or right. Forgive me for having better things to do with my time. But not all of us are completely gullible believing everything we hear either.

Did you ask for sources? I always do, and my doctor provides them. I don't take scientific data that isn't supported, because if it's not supported, it's NOT science. Why would I?
  • FitLink
    Options
    I'm sorry, I was just offering something from my own struggles and experience. I used to gag when trying to drink water, too.

We are so bombarded with chemicals, fake flavors and over-use of sugars that we've trained ourselves into thinking something plain is disgusting. It took a week so of removing that crap from diet to appreciate water for what it was.

Fine. But there is no REASON to do it. It isn't BETTER to drink plain water. If you want to, thats one thing. But if someone doesn't want to, It's not necessary.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options

We are so bombarded with chemicals, fake flavors and over-use of sugars that we've trained ourselves into thinking something plain is disgusting. It took a week so of removing that crap from diet to appreciate water for what it was.

Fine. But there is no REASON to do it. It isn't BETTER to drink plain water. If you want to, thats one thing. But if someone doesn't want to, It's not necessary.

Here's a simple test - drink some Crystal Light in your water or some Diet Coke or even Regular coke for a day. Then walk 5 miles. Do it again a few days later after drinking water. You're body will tell you what the difference is. What you put into your body * absolutely* affects how you feel and function.

I'm not arguing with you, I was trying to be helpful and you're just trolling.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Here's a simple test - drink some Crystal Light in your water or some Diet Coke or even Regular coke for a day. Then walk 5 miles. Do it again a few days later after drinking water. You're body will tell you what the difference is. What you put into your body * absolutely* affects how you feel and function.

If you read his responses - he is absolutely not trolling - all of his responses, when asked, have been supported by well documented research - that is NOT trolling.
  • ammossrn
    ammossrn Posts: 43
    Options
    me too! try this.... 0.5 cup lime juice + 2.5 cup water + 1/3 cup splenda. yummmm!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

The caffeine in the soda will actually provide a boost to athletic and endurance performance, as well as provide a boost to fat burning during the walk. So, an interesting test, but from what controlled studies have been done on it, you'd have better results with the soda over the water.

I've done it both ways, for me, I need the sugar to keep glycogen going when I exercise, so milk, juice, and even soda re always a much better pre workout option than water. And the majority of the research concurs.
  • EAH123
    EAH123 Posts: 40
    Options
    I would try drinking out of a straw. Lately, I bump my water intake up when I drink an Iced Route 44 water with lemon and refill it often. Can you try a different cup or straw?
  • FitLink
    Options

Well, some of the most prestigious scientists in this field in the US, at the Mayo Clinic, say that ain't so. It's not trolling to tell people the truth when so much broscience is being spread around.

science.jpg
  • FitLink
    Options
    me too! try this.... 0.5 cup lime juice + 2.5 cup water + 1/3 cup splenda. yummmm!

Voila! Diet limeade! Yummy! Nom nom... I'll try that, but with stevia. I like the taste better.
  • FitLink
    Options

If you read his responses - he is absolutely not trolling - all of his responses, when asked, have been supported by well documented research - that is NOT trolling.

Thanks for the support! Just so you know, though, I'm not a "he." I'm a "she." I like your replies as well. I'm an Aspie, so I sometimes have a hard time with how I word things. Please know I intend this as sincere thanks. I just wanted you to know I'm female.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Thanks for the support! Just so you know, though, I'm not a "he." I'm a "she." I like your replies as well. I'm an Aspie, so I sometimes have a hard time with how I word things. Please know I intend this as sincere thanks. I just wanted you to know I'm female.

Thank for letting me know :happy: - and I find the way you word things extremely clear.
  • FitLink
    Options

Wait. I'm "gullible" because I don't accept scientific assertions without evidence to back it up? Is this a new definition of "gullible" I'm unfamiliar with?
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options

She isn't trolling. I am sure of it. She means every word she's saying. She's also being very logical and clear in her posts.

I don't think I'd feel a difference between the beverage with artificial sweetener or water. I go for long walks frequently, though, so I'll try that experiment.

Caveat: something akin to the placebo effect would be hard to rule out. I mean, if I'm thinking "This drink has got toxins in it and will make me feel bad" or "this plain water will make me feel better than that Crystal Light" the odds are pretty good that I'll have the expected experience.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Wait. I'm "gullible" because I don't accept scientific assertions without evidence to back it up? Is this a new definition of "gullible" I'm unfamiliar with?

No. I'm saying I'm not gullible for believing water is good for me.
    I'm also saying that just because I don't look for scientific evidence doesn't mean I automatically believe what I hear.
    And btw, I am also a girl, as you referred to me as a he earlier. I'm the girl in my picture, not the guy. That's my husband.
  • FitLink
    Options
    You know, It IS a little work to actually look up the research on a topic like this. It is. It's a little work to backcheck the studies cited and see what the methodology used was. Sometimes there's even a little math involved (YIKES! MATH!). It is a little work to check into the credentials of who did the studies. But you know what? People on all sorts of threads talk about how we should "care enough about our health to..." You know what? You should care enough about your health to learn WHAT makes a study scientifically credible, and you should care enough about your health to check every assertion to be sure it meets those criteria.