I hate water

Options

Replies

• Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    If you drink water and then add caffeine it does negate the value of the water because it is a diuretic and will make you pee it out thus making you less hydrated...It's really not rocket science. I can't believe anyone would argue that soda/tea/coffee/etc. is just as good for you to drink as water.
    Oh god, be careful, seen as im now leaving this topic your the next to be pounced on and told how you don't know this that and the other by these annoying couple of people. But i agree.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    If you drink water and then add caffeine it does negate the value of the water because it is a diuretic and will make you pee it out thus making you less hydrated...It's really not rocket science. I can't believe anyone would argue that soda/tea/coffee/etc. is just as good for you to drink as water.

Actually, if you'd bothered to read the cited studies in the thread, as well-respected authorities as the Mayo Clinic say that caffeine is a milder diuretic than water, and it doesn't in any way negate the hydrating effects of the water in coffee, tea, and soda. I can't believe you think you're a better source than the Mayo Clinic. It's not rocket science that you need to read peer reviewed, scientific evidence either.
  • zen_mama
    zen_mama Posts: 51
    Options
    I've always been a big water drinker, but find sometimes i just get tired of drinking it or, if the water is very flat (distilled- no minerals) it does not always quench my thirst. I solve this by brewing up a gallon of weak tea- usually decaf green tea (great for boosting metabolism) with a flavored tea bag such as mint or apple cinnamon thrown in to jazz it up a bit. I find the added herbal tea sweetens it just enough so that I don't need to add a sweetener. In the summer time I keep a jug of this in the fridge and will drink at least 2 qt.s a day along with water. One summer, while working at a landscape nursery- I brought a gallon jug of green tea with me every day and it was usually consumed within 8 hours. Lost about 15 pounds that summer between the sweating and the tea.
  • FitLink
    Options
    Oh god, be careful, seen as im now leaving this topic your the next to be pounced on and told how you don't know this that and the other by these annoying couple of people. But i agree.

I imagine it is annoying to have people actually expect you to prove what you claim is truth is actually true.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Have you bothered to actually read the thread? Including all of the scientific evidence prevented that proves that caffeine does NOT effect hydration? It's not really rocket science...

Depends on how much you are drinking and if you are using it as a water substitute and drinking solely caffeinated beverages it very well might.

Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

Actually, if you'd bothered to read the cited studies in the thread, as well-respected authorities as the Mayo Clinic say that caffeine is a milder diuretic than water, and it doesn't in any way negate the hydrating effects of the water in coffee, tea, and soda. I can't believe you think you're a better source than the Mayo Clinic. It's not rocket science that you need to read peer reviewed, scientific evidence either.
  • FitLink
    Options
    I never knew it was even possible to hate water, I mean it doesn't even have a taste. I guess it's possible then.

Well, to be honest I would recommend you to still drink as much water as you can despite your dislike for it. But if it really bothers you that much, you could try adding a few drops of lemon to it (at home, try to avoid the already flavored water you buy at the store) or maybe you'd like it better if it were ice cold? Try that as well. You can also drink green tea.

Good luck.

First of all, water does have a taste, and it tastes different depending on which impurities it has. Dasani doesn't taste like Evian doesn't taste like Aquafina. Secondly, WHY should people drink plain water if they don't like it? It's like it's a religion with you people. "Well, to be honest I would recommend you to still drink as much water as you can despite your dislike for it." WHY!?! Since there's no added benefit if the water is plain, WHY should I drink it "despite my dislike for it?"
  • FitLink
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

Right. The Mayo Clinic says, in this very link, that caffeinated beverages are as hydrating as water. That is what "It is true" means.

Thank you for proving my point.
  • FitLink
    Options
    Have you bothered to actually read the thread? Including all of the scientific evidence prevented that proves that caffeine does NOT effect hydration? It's not really rocket science...

Depends on how much you are drinking and if you are using it as a water substitute and drinking solely caffeinated beverages it very well might.

Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day

WTF is a water substitute? Coffee is impure water. So is tap water and bottled water.
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    Im seriously bored now and have better things to do. Goodbye imature people. Maybe you could go get a life, yeh?

Translation:
    You meanie poopie heads won't let me spout my nonsense as fact without proof & I can't prove anything that I make up, so I'm going to pretend that I'm in the right & leave... but really, I'm going to stay here, refreshing the page & agreeing with other people who are wrong like me, because that validates my opinion & makes me look smart.
  • rockette7
    rockette7 Posts: 18
    Options
    A slice of lemon or lime in your water can make a lot of difference. I find I like water much more when's it really cold.
    Having it handy makes it much easier to get it down you without noticing. I'm working on getting enough fluids in me at the moment, but when I did pub work, we all kept drinks on a shelf by the kitchen door, and I found I sipped a bit each time I went past, and used to put away pints and pints of the stuff without really noticing.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    omg, how many times do you all need to say "it's not rocket science"?? :yawn:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

You also need to take into account that regular caffeine consumption (aka someone who would consume 5-7 cups of coffee a day) builds a tolerance that actually makes the consumer immune to the diuretic effects of caffeine.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Not sure, that would require rocket science to figure out. :drinker:
  • jpuderbaugh
    Options

Sarcasm noted. :drinker:
  • rockette7
    rockette7 Posts: 18
    Options
    Isn't only drinking water a bit dull? I do drink quite a lot of water, and I found when I was at my peak-water-drinking, I was drinking pints of the stuff with a coulpe of lemon wedges chucked in and I did notice a different. My skin looked brighter and was more moisturised, and I felt good.
    But I never drank only water. I enjoy tea, so I drink that occasionally, as I don't see why the odd mug is so terrible. Same with drinking soda, or squash or wine or whatever else. Everything in moderation is the key, surely? Just to keep yourself from boredom, if nothing else.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't quite a large proportion of our recommended water consumption presume that a certain amount of that water will come from food? Like fresh fruit and vegetables? Perhaps I imagined that though, I'm not sure.
  • FitLink
    Options

I've got a friend who is a rocket scientist for NASA. I'll ask her. :wink:
  • FitLink
    Options
    Isn't only drinking water a bit dull? I do drink quite a lot of water, and I found when I was at my peak-water-drinking, I was drinking pints of the stuff with a coulpe of lemon wedges chucked in and I did notice a different. My skin looked brighter and was more moisturised, and I felt good.
    But I never drank only water. I enjoy tea, so I drink that occasionally, as I don't see why the odd mug is so terrible. Same with drinking soda, or squash or wine or whatever else. Everything in moderation is the key, surely? Just to keep yourself from boredom, if nothing else.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't quite a large proportion of our recommended water consumption presume that a certain amount of that water will come from food? Like fresh fruit and vegetables? Perhaps I imagined that though, I'm not sure.

You are correct. Women need about (you're metric aren't you? I'll convert), um, 2 liters of water a day from any source, including your food. Men need closer to 2.5 liters. But water from all sources counts, including that in food. Really very few people get too little water even if they don't try to get enough.
  • jpuderbaugh
    Options
    Here. There's your citation you called for.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/541881-caffeine-and-muscle-cramps/

Including their sources at the bottom of the article.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The best thing I have ever done for my health is a 7 day detox - 2 servings of fruit a day, 1 serving of meat, all the veggies I wanted. No fats (butter, oils, etc) but herbs and spices were OK. It was really hard, but when it was over I found that I loved water and completely eliminated my sweet tea addiction. I used to drink nearly a gallon every day (with about 1 cup of sugar in it!)

I used to literally gag when trying to force myself to drink water. A year later and I'm still amazed by this change. I drink 2-3 qts of water a day.