I hate water

Options

Replies

• FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any water substitutions that would work almost as good as water, but taste better?
    Thank you!

Tea. I drink lots of fruit teas, both iced and hot.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

TEA IS TEA

Just because there is WATER in it does not make it equal.

Yes. It does. Water is never pure. It is as close to a universal solvent as exists. It is impossible to make it pure. Tea is 99.99% water, and so is drinking water.

Also, water in ANYTHING counts as water.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Right, so John Smith drinks sweet tea ALL DAY that counts as his water intake? I have to politely disagree.

You know, you seem really tied up in this "do things I don't like" pattern. Why is it so important to you that you and others do things you don't like; so much so that you try so hard to shame them into doing them? It really is possible to be healthy and not do anything you absolutely hate, and not a lot you really dislike. And it's just as healthy. Why?

Considering the amount of research that has been proven that water is in fact water I stand by what I have said previously. I didn't realize that I was "trying to shame anyone". I do not think that it is possible to be completely healthy without the proper intake of water. However, like majority of people on here I am not a doctor, but the research I have done and the doctors I have talked to nothing can sub water better than water.

There have been some great advice about adding fruit or cucumbers slices which is great.

But what I've said is MY opinion. Which is way someone has posted on here to hear other peoples opinions.

There have been a lot of links to articles stating why you can include other drinks in your daily fluid intake, how about you counter that with some citations to that research you are refering to

Thats one website. The research I am talking about has been done thru books, doctors, and multiple websites. I am not going to base my entire thought process based on ONE website.

Some doctors may agree with what you have to say or what that website has to say but considering that when you have coffee thats not water anymore....thats caffeine and COFFEE.....not water. If you like I can throw some websites your way if that helps?

No, it's not one website. There is evidence presented on this thread that is on at least 15 sites, and the Mayo Clinic is arguably the most respected medical research/teaching hospital in the United States! There is no more respected authority on medical science in the US! Do not dismiss that as "some doctors." You actually haven't shared ANY of your evidence. Can you please produce evidence from sources with credentials equal to the Mayo Clinic, or admit you are presenting your unsubstantiated opinion?

And please stop referring to the largest, most respected medical research facility in the United States as "that website!" It's the Mayo Clinic, and though they HAVE a website, they are NOT a website. They have been the premier medical research/teaching hospital in the US for more than 20 years!
  • FitLink
    Options
    There really aren't any substitutions for water. Your body is 60% water, not 60% lemonade.
    However, maybe try squeezing some lime or lemon into it. And maybe keep a pitcher of it in the fridge so it can always be nice and cold and refreshing.

Have you read this thread and the references given here? Lemonade is WATER. And the body's water? Isn't pure either. It's full of electrolytes. All liquids count as water. Anything else is pseudoscience.

Uhm. Yeah, and I also studied biology for four years. Is that a pseudoscience, too?

And your four year degree tops research done at the Mayo Clinic that disagrees? You did see that the Mayo Clinic disagrees, right? If what you say disagrees with the peer-reviewed medical research on the subject, regardless of your educational experience, it's pseudoscience.
  • opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Juice, milk, tea, coffee... all almost just as good as water. They will all hydrate you. Drinking coffee and tea will not dehydrate you - the mild diuretic effect will not result in overall fluid loss.

Also, it's a myth that people are chronically dehydrated and need 64 ounces of water a day. It is also a myth that drinking lots of water "detoxifies" the body in any way.

If you are in a situation where you might rapidly lose significant amounts of fluid - like hiking in the desert - then you may need to make a conscious effort to drink. Otherwise, just drink when you are thirsty.
    [/quote]

This.
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You are all crazy!!! LOL How can you not like water??? I don't get it...it's like not liking bread or air...I never even thought about whether water is tasty, cuz it's not...it's flavorless!! However, when I am thirsty or hot it's the only thing that quenches my thirst, and it's so good for you!!! I just don't get it. :tongue:

Personally, I don't drink anything. I never get thirsty it seems (I've had soup for lunch, & 2 cups of water today & I had to force myself to drink them...). It's not that I don't like water, I just need to find more ways to encourage myself to drink it.

But water does have a flavour - my fiance thought I was crazy, until I made him try different waters. (also, try eating something, than drinking water - it has a taste that most people don't notice because they were brought up to think of water as flavourless - it's not really anything I can explain though, it just tastes like water)

Also, I'm pretty sure that there's people who don't like bread. Just like I'm sure there's things you don't like that people would think you were 'crazy' for not liking.

Of course water has a flavor. We never actually see "pure" water. We ultra-purify and deionize water (so it won't hold charged contaminants) in our labs, and even then it isn't "pure." To get our "almost pure" water it costs us about $200/gallon... (Funny aside: The owner of the company came in and old milk jug filled with water next to the coffee maker. Our shipping clerk had been bringing water from home because the water at work was so awful it made undrinkable coffee. the owner asked what the milk jug was for, and someone said it was for Bonnie's "special" water for coffee. He was a little pale when he came into my office to ask if Bonnie's "special" water came from the lab. He was terrified that the whole plant was drinking $200/gal water in our coffee! LOL) Tap and bottled water is easily 0.1% "not water." Minerals, metals, you name it, are in there. The contaminants give it a flavor, and since they all have different "contaminants" they all taste different. Some mineral waters even ADD contaminants to "enhance" the flavor. I've been to water tastings. Like wine tastings, but with waters.

My "You are all crazy" comment was meant to be facetious, not insulting. It has just been recently that I have ever even heard someone say they don't like water. I just assumed that water was something everyone's body tolerated because it is so essential for keeping us alive! Thousands of years ago there wasn't Mio, or coke, or whatever...water was the main liquid staple for survival. Sure there are things I don't like, such as liver and lima beans...but water???? It's just odd to me. :huh:
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Milk has too many solids in it to really be considered a substitute for water but whatever works!
    Again. If you drink a glass of water and then ate 1/3 cup of powdered milk...did you or did you not drink a glass of water? Why does it matter if the milk solids are IN the water instead of next to it?
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    There really aren't any substitutions for water. Your body is 60% water, not 60% lemonade.
    However, maybe try squeezing some lime or lemon into it. And maybe keep a pitcher of it in the fridge so it can always be nice and cold and refreshing.

Have you read this thread and the references given here? Lemonade is WATER. And the body's water? Isn't pure either. It's full of electrolytes. All liquids count as water. Anything else is pseudoscience.

Uhm. Yeah, and I also studied biology for four years. Is that a pseudoscience, too?
    I don't think there's pure water anywhere in the body. Blood plasma, sweat, lymph, urine, cytoplasm, mucous, saliva and other digestive fluids - all bodily fluids comprised primarily of water with other things dissolved or suspended. And I studied biology for TWELVE years.
  • kathy68820
    kathy68820 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    MIO...love it.
  • jawill58
    jawill58 Posts: 1
    Options
    Coconut water. Naked brand coconut water in carton tastes good but more expensive than Vitacoco and O.N.E.in carton.
  • FitLink
    Options
    You are all crazy!!! LOL How can you not like water??? I don't get it...it's like not liking bread or air...I never even thought about whether water is tasty, cuz it's not...it's flavorless!! However, when I am thirsty or hot it's the only thing that quenches my thirst, and it's so good for you!!! I just don't get it. :tongue:

Personally, I don't drink anything. I never get thirsty it seems (I've had soup for lunch, & 2 cups of water today & I had to force myself to drink them...). It's not that I don't like water, I just need to find more ways to encourage myself to drink it.

But water does have a flavour - my fiance thought I was crazy, until I made him try different waters. (also, try eating something, than drinking water - it has a taste that most people don't notice because they were brought up to think of water as flavourless - it's not really anything I can explain though, it just tastes like water)

Also, I'm pretty sure that there's people who don't like bread. Just like I'm sure there's things you don't like that people would think you were 'crazy' for not liking.

Of course water has a flavor. We never actually see "pure" water. We ultra-purify and deionize water (so it won't hold charged contaminants) in our labs, and even then it isn't "pure." To get our "almost pure" water it costs us about $200/gallon... (Funny aside: The owner of the company came in and old milk jug filled with water next to the coffee maker. Our shipping clerk had been bringing water from home because the water at work was so awful it made undrinkable coffee. the owner asked what the milk jug was for, and someone said it was for Bonnie's "special" water for coffee. He was a little pale when he came into my office to ask if Bonnie's "special" water came from the lab. He was terrified that the whole plant was drinking $200/gal water in our coffee! LOL) Tap and bottled water is easily 0.1% "not water." Minerals, metals, you name it, are in there. The contaminants give it a flavor, and since they all have different "contaminants" they all taste different. Some mineral waters even ADD contaminants to "enhance" the flavor. I've been to water tastings. Like wine tastings, but with waters.

My "You are all crazy" comment was meant to be facetious, not insulting. It has just been recently that I have ever even heard someone say they don't like water. I just assumed that water was something everyone's body tolerated because it is so essential for keeping us alive! Thousands of years ago there wasn't Mio, or coke, or whatever...water was the main liquid staple for survival. Sure there are things I don't like, such as liver and lima beans...but water???? It's just odd to me. :huh:

And if all people naturally liked water they wouldn't have invented Mio and other flavorings for water, would they? I don't understand why it should surprise you somebody doesn't like water. There are a hundred different flavors for water, all invented to change how water tastes, so clearly a lot of people don't like water plain. It's not that their "bodies dont' tolerate it" it's that they don't like it. And since water is water no matter what it's mixed with, there's no reason they have to drink something they don't like. As it happens, I LOVE lima beans. Absolutely LOVE them. I like liver in braunschweiger. Should I be surprised that you don't? Does your body tolerate them well?

It's just a a very insular world view, to have 100 ways to make water not taste like water on the supermarket shelves and not to notice that many people don't like water, because you DO like it. I'm autistic (I have Asperger's Syndrome) and I noticed!
  • FitLink
    Options

I don't think there's pure water anywhere in the body. Blood plasma, sweat, lymph, urine, cytoplasm, mucous, saliva and other digestive fluids - all bodily fluids comprised primarily of water with other things dissolved or suspended. And I studied biology for TWELVE years.

LOL I'm not sure there's pure water anywhere on earth! It's just too good a solvent.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options

The answer to the question of "what is water?" would fall under the realm of chemistry.

I majored in art history, though, so I'm not qualified to answer the question, period.
  • katysmelly
    Options

"Lots of people go to college for twelve years!"

"Yeah, they're called 'doctors'"
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Me too! I despise it. LoL. I buy those flavor packets, they are only 10 cals each packet and flavor the water so I can drink it :) They come in all different flavors. Personally, I don't like the crystal light ones.
  • katysmelly
    Options
    Caffiene will assist in dehydrating you. For every glass of something you drink with caffiene in it, you should add back that much to your total fluid content. That is coming from a physician.

The dehyrating impact of caffeine is very minimal and more than made up by the water used to make the drink.

Yes.

There are many people who only drink caffeinated beverages. Other possible health issues aside, none of them die of thirst.
  • countsenseless
    countsenseless Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any water substitutions that would work almost as good as water, but taste better?
    Thank you!
    mio
  • Katrina_vw91
    Katrina_vw91 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Mio is really awesome, try some of that!! :)
  • testepp
    testepp Posts: 15
    Options
    I find oddly that drinking iced water makes it taste much better than just plain cool or warm water.

Mio is good too.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options

You're far too sensible to be contributing to this thread. Add me as a friend?
  • FitLink
    Options

The answer to the question of "what is water?" would fall under the realm of chemistry.

I majored in art history, though, so I'm not qualified to answer the question, period.

Actually I think the question here isn't "what is water? so much as "what counts as water for purposes of hydrating the body?" And your degree subject isn't important so long as you learned in college 1)-logic, and 2)- to evaluate research based on things like credentials and peer review. I had listed peer reviewed research from the Mayo Clinic, a well-respected medical research/teaching hospital, proving that water contained in anything you consume hydrates the body equally well. This poster argued with no citation of source that lemonade =/= water in hydrating the body. I referenced the sources and said that unsubstantiated claims such as hers were pseudoscience. (It's usually called "broscience" here.) Her reply, rather than provide sources for her assertions was an "appeal to authority" by throwing out her college major.

I was a biology major myself for two years before transferring to psychology. I later got an RN. I currently do IT at a company that manufactures metals and chemicals.

I believe the answer to "what counts as water for purposes of hydrating the body" fall into the realm of biophysiology rather than chemistry.
  • DeziD
    DeziD Posts: 8
    Options
    Water is so essential and good for you. I drink tons of it, and change it up by mixing different things in it.

Suggestions:

Try mixing half water (good bottled stuff, not tap) and half seltzer water for the refreshing mouth bubbly feeling. (Be sure you get seltzer water not club soda. Club soda has sodium). Full strength seltzer water is good too, but I'm so used to the half and half blend now that plain seltzer water tastes too strong to me. Add some fresh lemon or lime slices.

Take a pitcher/container of water and add any combination of slices of lemon, cucumber, fruit, mint leaves, etc. and let sit in the fridge for a while. Very tasty, healthy and refreshing. This is the health water typically served in spas.

I also love Hansen's diet cola because it has all natural ingredients, no sugar and no caffeine. Sometimes I mix half Hansen's with half water or seltzer. Add ice. They have other flavors you might like, too, but I like the cola, root beer and ginger ale best.

If you want something sweet, try adding Torani sugar free syrups to your seltzer water. They've got every flavor imaginable! You can look them up on the web.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!