What size weights to tone with?

Options

Replies

• mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    People keep saying "You absolutely, positively WILL NOT bulk up from lifting heavy..." But when you get down to the real low body fats where you can appreciate the muscles you're building, don't your boobs disappear completely?

Can someone show me a picture of a non-bulky female body builder who does not have breast implants?

I have been lifting for 6 years. I have lost 10 pant sizes. The band on my bra has gone down. The cup size... still a DDD. (I have been a DDD since my Junior year of High School)

The only way you lose boobs while lifting is 1. You take steroids and testosterone... and/or 2. Your body didn't develop much breast mass to begin with and that is where the woman held her fat. If your body was meant to hold a B cup, you may look smaller when you build pectoral muscles. If you were an A cup to begin with... you MAY see a large decrease.

I am still hoping mine go down to at least a manageable DD.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I agree with all above.

Lift as heavy as you can :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    People keep saying "You absolutely, positively WILL NOT bulk up from lifting heavy..." But when you get down to the real low body fats where you can appreciate the muscles you're building, don't your boobs disappear completely?

Can someone show me a picture of a non-bulky female body builder who does not have breast implants?

Bodybuilding itself is slightly different to other areas such as figure and bikini. I don't know the ins and outs, they're all part of bodybuilding, but bikini is the least muscled, figure slightly more, and the actual bodybuilding area tends to be quite "bulky" by many people's standards as they train specifically for that. That's not to say if you lift heavy, you end up like that, they train and eat specifically for muscle gains, and for the shows, they have really low bodyfat%'s

All of them however, will lift regularly, apart from maybe a few of the bikini competitors who are naturally genetically blessed, but most do.

Here are some who do not have breast implants (as far as I know) I found these out a couple of months ago as I was curious myself (small boobs, do not want implants)

6896.jpg

6210-1.jpg

jaquelyn_roberts_ironman_july_2010_2_400.jpg
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Mystiedragonfly, Heidi1990, thank you for your answers!

You'r right, the bikini competitor photos are the ones I'm thinking of, where the women are very fit and 'toned'(sorry to those that hate the word!), and they all seem to have implants.

When I see a woman whose shoulders dwarf her chest, that's what I consider 'bulky', and I the women I knew personally that looked like that did not take steroids, they just lifted heavy. I went from a C cup to a full A after losing weight, and I'd rather not get big shoulders on top of that.
  • MzFreeSpirited
    Options
    Do not be afraid to lift heavy. You will not get bulky, I promise. I lift heavy(6-12 reps per set for 3 sets), and I am not bulky at all, just very toned. Pick a weight that you can do between 8 and 12 reps with.
    '

thank you for sharing :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

i dont understand your question. boobs are fat, generally speaking people with clearly defined muscles have low body fat, which logically means if she's a woman who's doesnt store most of her body fat on her chest, then she will have smaller boobs to begin with and smaller ones at the end.. right?

and anyway what does being bulky have to do with breast size?
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    "i dont understand your question. boobs are fat, generally speaking people with clearly defined muscles have low body fat, which logically means if she's a woman who's doesnt store most of her body fat on her chest, then she will have smaller boobs to begin with and smaller ones at the end.. right?"

That's what I thought...So it seems a little silly to post up a picture of a bikini model and say "This is what heavy lifting does for you!" when in fact, it's what heavy lifting and a good plastic surgeon did. I don't have a problem with breast implants, I just don't see them in my future.

"and anyway what does being bulky have to do with breast size? "

Imo, a woman with large and muscular arms who has little or no boobage to balance them, looks bulky. I'm trying to avoid that, but it's hard to get a good idea of what lifting will look like on someone with no implants.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You won't get "bulky" lifting heavy weights.

Unless you use steroids :wink:

Or already have a high body fat %.
    *Muscles under fat look "bulky", not "toned". Lower the body fat% & you have beautiful muscle "tone".
    <
    ***see my arm in profile pic
    large, no definition, bigger than my man's arm = BULKY from lifting heavy with high body fat %.

You should definitely lift heavy as suggested, however if you still have a lot to lose, and have a high body fat % be prepared to possibly look "bulky" for a while, until the fat cells start shrinking :smile:
    I had that "bulky" look for about the first 3 months of heavy lifting, I am just now starting lo lose enough body fat to not look so "bulky". It was well worth the wait.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Imo, a woman with large and muscular arms who has little or no boobage to balance them, looks bulky. I'm trying to avoid that, but it's hard to get a good idea of what lifting will look like on someone with no implants.

I think it's ugly when a woman has a man chest or even looks like a man. If a woman lifts like a man, she will eventually get a body like a man. Breast is fat and fat can shrink in that area, leaving women with men breasts and that's why so many bodybuilder women get breast implant.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    <<< Lifts heavy things. Has 32DDD boobies (all natural, and after shedding an entire person worth of weight)

I think it's ugly when a woman has a man chest or even looks like a man. If a woman lifts like a man, she will eventually get a body like a man. Breast is fat and fat can shrink in that area, leaving women with men breasts and that's why so many bodybuilder women get breast implant.
  • emgawne
    emgawne Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Honestly, what are bulky muscles? Do you have a link or a photo of someone "bulky?"

As a woman, I'm so tired of hearing this.

The point of lifting weight is resistance. After a while, whatever weights you lift will become too easy. You will have to increase weights or you'll just be wasting your time.

THIS^

Agreed!!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    <<< Lifts heavy things. Has 32DDD boobies (all natural, and after shedding an entire person worth of weight)

• emgawne
    emgawne Posts: 265 Member
    Options

I lift heavy and have 34D's (all natural) and am at 21% body fat. The only people who end up looking "manly" are people doing body building competitions and on a VERY strict diet and sometimes testosterone supplements who get their body fat down extremely low. Lifting heavy alone will not do this to a person but it will allow you to achieve the so called "toned" look everyone wants.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

dont lie. those DDDs are actually a penis right?
    Why yes, yes they are. Actually, they are two penises that are shaped like breasts. You should see what I have going on downstairs thanks to all those squats I've been doing.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    THis is the stupidest, most insulting and ignorant thing I've heard you say, and I haven't heard anyone say anything as ignorant as what you say on here. :explode:

I lift heavy and I look hot. If anyone looks like a man, well, I guess we can compare profile pictures you and me, cuz no matter how much you denigrate women who lift heavy, you have NEVER ONCE put up a progress pic comparison, and your profile picture is the same as it ever has been the entire time I've been on here. For goodness sakes, woman(?)!

Seriously, between me and AZakery, who looks like a man?

AZackery, you add nothing to weight lifting threads but insults and ignorance. STOP discouraging women from doing something that will get them the results they want, help them build stronger muscles (obviously) and stronger bones! Do you know the incidence rate of osteoporosis? Weight lifting builds strong bones.

BTW, I have gotten smaller since I started lifting weights (heavy as can be, squat more than my bodyweight on the bar). I do my pushups with my feet elevated. I push heavier weights than some of the men in my gym. AND? My rack is size 36D, with a 29 inch waist. Lift like a man, look like a man, my *kitten*.

STOP LYING TO PEOPLE!

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Reported.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    THis is the stupidest, most insulting and ignorant thing I've heard you say, and I haven't heard anyone say anything as ignorant as what you say on here. :explode:

I lift heavy and I look hot. If anyone looks like a man, well, I guess we can compare profile pictures you and me, cuz no matter how much you denigrate women who lift heavy, you have NEVER ONCE put up a progress pic comparison, and your profile picture is the same as it ever has been the entire time I've been on here. For goodness sakes, woman(?)!

Seriously, between me and AZakery, who looks like a man?

AZackery, you add nothing to weight lifting threads but insults and ignorance. STOP discouraging women from doing something that will get them the results they want, help them build stronger muscles (obviously) and stronger bones! Do you know the incidence rate of osteoporosis? Weight lifting builds strong bones.

BTW, I have gotten smaller since I started lifting weights (heavy as can be, squat more than my bodyweight on the bar). I do my pushups with my feet elevated. I push heavier weights than some of the men in my gym. AND? My rack is size 36D, with a 29 inch waist. Lift like a man, look like a man, my *kitten*.

STOP LYING TO PEOPLE!

Amen!

You my dear, are my hero for the day.

Seriously.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    OP I lift heavy - Im a 36D. Trust me my rack is seriously rockin.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    OP I lift heavy - Im a 36D. Trust me my rack is seriously rockin.

Plus, putting some muscle on under there, lifts and firms them to some extent. And this is from a man's perspective...who better to judge?
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    "Good Girls Tone, Bad Girls Lift" I'm a bad Girl and not bulky at all.