What size weights to tone with?

Options

Replies

• jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    OP I lift heavy - Im a 36D. Trust me my rack is seriously rockin.

Plus, putting some muscle on under there, lifts and firms them to some extent. And this is from a man's perspective...who better to judge?

My husband noticed this too. He doesn't mind a bit. And my D's are all natural, not surgically enhanced.

And btw, Zackery, I have collar bones too. A womanly thing that I'm not sure I noticed in your profile picture.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Imo, a woman with large and muscular arms who has little or no boobage to balance them, looks bulky. I'm trying to avoid that, but it's hard to get a good idea of what lifting will look like on someone with no implants.

I think it's ugly when a woman has a man chest or even looks like a man. If a woman lifts like a man, she will eventually get a body like a man. Breast is fat and fat can shrink in that area, leaving women with men breasts and that's why so many bodybuilder women get breast implant.

:laugh: :laugh: thanks for the good laugh. :drinker:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    <---- Looks like a bulky man, obviously.

OP, to answer your question, when I'm working out with dumbbells I am usually using 20-25# sometimes 30#. Though, I still use them for compound movements like cleans, snatches or thrusters. I can't remember the last time I did a bicep curl on it's own.

Hope this helps!

:smile:
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Imo, a woman with large and muscular arms who has little or no boobage to balance them, looks bulky. I'm trying to avoid that, but it's hard to get a good idea of what lifting will look like on someone with no implants.

I think it's ugly when a woman has a man chest or even looks like a man. If a woman lifts like a man, she will eventually get a body like a man. Breast is fat and fat can shrink in that area, leaving women with men breasts and that's why so many bodybuilder women get breast implant.

I read this quote, and then saw who posted it. Of course it's the queen of broscience in here. Have fun with your osteoporosis.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP I lift heavy - Im a 36D. Trust me my rack is seriously rockin.

Plus, putting some muscle on under there, lifts and firms them to some extent. And this is from a man's perspective...who better to judge?

My husband noticed this too. He doesn't mind a bit. And my D's are all natural, not surgically enhanced.

And btw, Zackery, I have collar bones too. A womanly thing that I'm not sure I noticed in your profile picture.

WTF?? you kind of just insulted a bunch of people with that . if you have to put down people to make yourself feel better then exactly how different are you from zackery?
  • kappa17
    kappa17 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hiya
    I am bootcamp instructor / personal trainer.

To tone, the key is to use lighter weights, say 3 - 5 kilos and do higher reps, so say 3 - 4 sets of 20 reps/15reps/12reps / 8reps.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Hiya

To tone, the key is to use lighter weights, say 3 - 5 kilos and do higher reps, so say 3 - 4 sets of 20 reps/15reps/12reps / 8reps.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Oh. Wow.

What gym, may I ask?
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Hiya

Hope this helps.

Cheers

lol. nope
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options

HAHAHAHA OH WOW

Hiya

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    oh god my sides!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Hiya

Hope this helps.

Cheers

lol. nope

Exactly. I had a huge 'discussion' with my ex girlfriend about this subject. She basically refused to believe that I knew what I was talking about, since all her 'personal trainer' friends at the gym told her I was fully of and convinced her that lifting heavy would ruin her chest, and make her look like a man.

If you can believe it, this was even something brought up when we split...that I don't 'know it all' and that she 'proved I was wrong' with all her little trainer friends backup.

/sigh

That's why I asked where this woman worked. So I could avoid recommending it to anyone.

Ever.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Hiya

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I call BS!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Hiya

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ok wait. This isn't fair.

Rather than chase this young lady off because she doesn't agree with us...let me ask her other questions.

First, how long should it take before any woman subscribing to your 'method of toning' sees real, visible results? Lets assume she's only moderately overweight...perhaps 35% bodyfat?
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't want to build bulky muscles by using too heavy of weights. I would just like to tone my arms and get a little definition. What size hand weights would u recommend in achieving this?
    well youre in luck! you lack the testicles required to do this!
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    so lift all the weight you can!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Look at how manly I am after lifting heavy things!!!!

2193703_5662.jpg
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I HATE it when people pull out the 'look like a man' comments. Apart from being completely offensive and stupid, it is 99.999999% of the time completely inaccurate. Buff men and buff women DO NOT LOOK THE SAME. Take an image of a really fit, strong and lean girl, photoshop out their boobs and photoshop in a man's head.... does it look like a dude?? Of course not!! So what people are really saying when they say "they look like a man", is "they don't look like my version of feminine" which we all know is supposed to be soft and weak to make some men feel stronger. If my strength makes my man feel weak... well he best get into the gym and lift heavy too! (it doesn't of course)!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I lift like a man. I don't have big boobs. I don't think I look like a man.

IMG_4150.jpg
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    <- I lift with weights that are as heavy as possible with good form. I can deadlift my body weight.
  • lolabugs
    lolabugs Posts: 141
    Options
    I'm glad I found this thread. I have done some lifting in the past and I definitely noticed how quickly I lost inches and began toning my muscles, but somehow I need every bit of encouragement to get back into it. Does anyone have any good routines for toning abs, waist and hips? I have to lose 2 inches by September and I'm pretty sure I can reach my goal if I start incorporating weights into my routine. My routine as of January has primarily been swimming, which is amazing for building muscle and raising endurance levels but not the best for shedding the fat (at least in my case).
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy as well,I can almost squat my bodyweight! (I weight 125 lbs).

Since I started lifting,I have gone down 2 jeans sizes!

Gasp! I've gotten smaller! Not bulky by any means!

Ladies...lift heavy,you'll be amazed at the changes you'll see in your body!

Not to mention,the rush you feel!

Go heavy or go home!:wink: