What size weights to tone with?

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this thread. I have done some lifting in the past and I definitely noticed how quickly I lost inches and began toning my muscles, but somehow I need every bit of encouragement to get back into it. Does anyone have any good routines for toning abs, waist and hips? I have to lose 2 inches by September and I'm pretty sure I can reach my goal if I start incorporating weights into my routine. My routine as of January has primarily been swimming, which is amazing for building muscle and raising endurance levels but not the best for shedding the fat (at least in my case).

Yes, compound lifts...or leg based lifts. The more and larger groups of muscles you engage, the faster you'll melt overall bodyfat. You can't specifically remove fat from your legs, waist, or hips...it comes off from where your body chooses to remove it first. Those lifts, give the body the tools to do so, as quickly as possible.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    IMG_0777-1-2-1.jpg

Lifting heavy made me 2 inches smaller in the waist in one month.
    This back can Squat 180 and DL 145.
    Best thing I ever did was listen to my sexy Girls who lift on MFP.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Hiya
    I am bootcamp instructor / personal trainer.

To tone, the key is to use lighter weights, say 3 - 5 kilos and do higher reps, so say 3 - 4 sets of 20 reps/15reps/12reps / 8reps.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Even I know that's crap. And if you knew me, you would understand how bad it is that I'm calling bs on this.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Imo, a woman with large and muscular arms who has little or no boobage to balance them, looks bulky. I'm trying to avoid that, but it's hard to get a good idea of what lifting will look like on someone with no implants.

I think it's ugly when a woman has a man chest or even looks like a man. If a woman lifts like a man, she will eventually get a body like a man. Breast is fat and fat can shrink in that area, leaving women with men breasts and that's why so many bodybuilder women get breast implant.

"woman has a man chest"... you mean, small tits?

My large A cups have remained intact since I started heavy lifting nearly 3 months ago. My 1RM deadlift is 20 lbs heavier than my body weight (150 lbs).

My husband loves my "man chest" very much, btw. As did all the men before him who ever had the chance to see them bare.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    This forum has accomplished two very positive (in my opinion) tasks:

- Ridiculed a frighteningly stupid individual
    - Given me profile click-thoughs to hot pictures of chicks who lift heavy weights. Well done, ladies!

Have a good night (most)everyone!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    <
    Not everyone loses their boobs.

I ahev been lifting for 2-3 years, am only 118 pounds and have a 25 inch waist. Still have my boobs
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    *facepalms
    do you think if getting bulky was so easy all the men in the gym would be huge and lean
    oh and without doing test of course
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Imo, a woman with large and muscular arms who has little or no boobage to balance them, looks bulky. I'm trying to avoid that, but it's hard to get a good idea of what lifting will look like on someone with no implants.

I think it's ugly when a woman has a man chest or even looks like a man. If a woman lifts like a man, she will eventually get a body like a man. Breast is fat and fat can shrink in that area, leaving women with men breasts and that's why so many bodybuilder women get breast implant.

My large A cups have remained intact since I started heavy lifting nearly 3 months ago. My 1RM deadlift is 20 lbs heavier than my body weight (150 lbs).

My husband loves my "man chest" very much, btw. As did all the men before him who ever had the chance to see them bare.

If I wanted to say small breasts, I would have said small breasts. I have said man chest.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Deadlift my own body weight and I really do not look manly
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    What does a woman with a man chest look like? I can honestly say I am clueless here and am sure I have never seen this :embarassed:
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

If I wanted to say small breasts, I would have said small breasts. I have said man chest.

I like how you repeated yourself instead of clarifying. Classic Azackery.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    What does a woman with a man chest look like? I can honestly say I am clueless here and am sure I have never seen this :embarassed:

I'd like to know too!
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You know, nopedotjpeg's name sums up my reaction to everything he's been saying.
  • saltskinmermaid
    Options
    lifting weights lighter than your purse = pointless.

The weights should be heavy enough to where you really have to push through the last set.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Girl you would NOT get bulky from heavy lifting..
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You know, nopedotjpeg's name sums up my reaction to everything he's been saying.

And what is that? That you have to stress muscles for them to adapt? Or that women don't get "man chests" by lifting?
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Another one of these threads? SMH
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Apparently yours do because you lift heavy. :tongue:

Edited to add: If that's a man chest, I want one too!!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. Otherwise there's very nearly no point to it at all. As long as you don't take steroids, you will NEVER get bulky.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

You don't have any idea what you are talking about, and should therefore stop talking.