40s - anyone else?

Options

Replies

• trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm 41 and never had a muffin top until I turned 40. It seemed like my body knew I was in my 40s all of a sudden, and fat started settling in places that it hadn't before. It wasn't "me," so I decided to take charge and I joined MFP in January. I'm 13 pounds lighter so far and have lost the muffin top. :happy: Almost to my goal, but not quite there yet. Losing weight is more difficult than when I was in my 20s or 30s, but still doable.
  • Lhelms6570
    Options
    I am 41, soon to be 42. I have struggled with my weight my whole adult life. I have been much heavier and slightly lighter over the years. But just once, I would like to get to my goal wight and stay there. It is definitely much harder now that I am older. That just means I have to work harder. I am at the beginning of this journey...but I am determined to finish! Feel free to add me as a friend as I am new to MFP.
  • MaryB67
    MaryB67 Posts: 7
    Options
    I just turn 45 and I just keep vainly weight everyday. I have never been so big. What do you all recommend to get a kick start to losing .
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am 43 - feel free to add me. Wishing u success.
  • Casey2068
    Options
    I will be 44 in two months! I am 5'8 and weighed 204 lbs (the most I've ever weighed), which was just four months ago. I remember standing in the bathroom with my husband - we each entered our goal weight into our scale and commenced to weighing ourselves...I discovered on that day that I had gained 70 lbs since we got married (in 2003). We both thought (although my husband didn't actually say it) I would never lose that weight. I actually lost 15 lbs before MFP and as of today - with the help of MFP, I'm more than half way to my goal. The weight is definitely harder to lose in your 40's...I would love to be one of your MFP friends, please feel free to add me...I need more MFP friends who believe that we can do this!!!!
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Wow, I was away from the site for an hour and here we are, lots of great 40s pal talking! Thank you so much for responding and your support!
  • eso2012
    Options
    I used to look at people with muffin tops (sadly, hanging out of too-tight jeans) and thought, gosh, I would never allow myself to be like that! Well, work + kids + total denial and here I am, spotting what my sons call "what a nice soft belly!". Well, it will go away and I am going to kill it slowly but surely!
  • eso2012
    Options
    I am 46! I can tell you all what to expect in the next few years :)

So far, the last few years have brought cellulite on my arms (I am used to this on my legs, but not my arms!), brown patches on my face, and reading glasses scattered all throughout my life !!! Strangely, the reading glasses bother me the most!
    HA! I have reading glasses in every room INCLUDING the loo. That's an interesting story. I was staying with a friend in the UK and that included sharing a bathroom. One day, I showered in her bathroom and then realized I forgot my lotion up in my room. I glanced a bit, and saw a bottle on her shelf. I opened it, got a blop and then thought: you're in the UK, you don't recognize bottles, seriously! Stop and REALLY look. So I put the bottle on the window sill and backed up and re-read it. And lo and behold it was fake tan! Sooooooo glad I didn't slather that on liberally! So now there are readers in the bathroom. :-)

Ooh, cellulite. I just took a pic of myself in a change room and I think it's no longer fair to blame the lighting :) As for glasses, I have been short sighted all my life and just got LASIK done a couple of weeks ago!! No more glasses or contact lenses, very nice :) I actually look forward to shopping for reading glasses. Fashion statement, you know. Whatever helps to make a girl feel cool and hip!
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'l be 43 on the 30th. I actually look and feel younger now that I did when I was 23.
  • Grimlock69
    Grimlock69 Posts: 197
    Options
    Hello I am 40 and feel your pain. I never worried about what I ate or when I ate or working out, and then I woke up one day and I was 167lbs and had no idea how I got there.

Feel free to add me I am always looking for pals to help motivate me. :-)
  • eso2012
    Options
    I just turn 45 and I just keep vainly weight everyday. I have never been so big. What do you all recommend to get a kick start to losing .

Find something that you like to do. Seriously. I spent so much time reading and researching and what not. One day, I thought, hey how about Pilates? It was life changing. It was that "click" I was looking for, something I actually look forward to doing (even early mornings).

Ignore what others may tell you as the "best" exercise or "best" food. Just start moving or eating (less) in the way that makes you feel...ah, so that's what progress feels like..I want more!

Good luck!
  • eso2012
    Options
    I'll be 40 in June. For some reason it's freaking me out. Add me if you want!

no need to freak out! When in doubt, think of all the female high-achievers - CEOs, celebrities and what not - they shine in their 40s!
  • eso2012
    Options
    I'll be 41 in June, Ladies the 40s our the new 20s :)

So true!!!
  • nellatink
    Options
    Hello! I am also 40. Still on my way to figuring out how to be healthy and fit. I am hoping this time I will get it right! Nice to meet all of you!
  • cowboyjim22
    cowboyjim22 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    42 and feel better then I have in a long time
  • eso2012
    Options
    I just turned 44 and have struggled more with my weight since turning 40. I'm never been super heavy, but have gained & lost the same 20 pounds over & over & over. In my 20's and 30's it was so EASY to lose weight though. I have to try so much harder now. Trying to focus on getting fit now instead of 'losing weight'. I just finished 90 days of p90x; then took a rest week and started Body Revolution (also 90 days). I'm definitely more fit, though still not as small as I would like!

PS. Many people tell me I look a lot younger too! We just went to dinner tonight @ a restaurant where my 21 yr old daughter works and her coworkers thought I was her sister! That makes me feel really great!!!!

You do look uber young! Remember diapers? I still have one in night-time pull up...at least your daughter is old enough to work :)

I was exploring P90X and am debating between that and Bodyrock 30 day challenge (plus pilates and TRX). CONGRATS on finishing 90 days - seems like a huge challenge to me!! Can you share your experience please?
  • eso2012
    Options
    I'm 44, 45 in September. I did my first bikini competition last summer and got in the very best shape of my life! I'm having a harder time this year getting back there for some reason, but I'm competing June 9th. I can't seem to lose the last 10 pounds no matter what I do! But it's never too late to do what I'm doing-- don't underestimate what you can do because of your age! I have never been more proud!

Thank you so much for your advice! An acquaintance of mine just completed a fitness competition as well. I used to be a gym rat in my 20s and did a lot of weights and even fantasized about entering a contest. I was and still am nowhere near that level of dedication or discipline! Congrats and look forward to hearing more about your prep and June event!
  • mrt49b
    mrt49b Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Everyone! ... I'm 44 and to be honest I've never been "thin", but when I hit 145kg it gave me a reality check that I couldn't carry on like I had. I love my food and I guess it was my 'best' friend. My first major goal is 99kg so I am half way there!

Happy for anyone here to friend me!

Hope everyone is doing well and I just love this app!

Cheers
    Tony
  • princessquitealot
    princessquitealot Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and now that I have the stablilty, and time to execise I'm sore many days.
  • SUSIE091
    SUSIE091 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi good thread this :) will be 41 in May have lost 2 stone and am getting fitter and slowly toning

though still a way to go espc on me abs section with 3 kids and 4 c-sections i will get there :)