Fat =/= curvy

Options
InnerFatGirl
InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
Am I the only one who gets irritated by the painting of anyone slightly chubby, overweight or even grossly (morbidly) obese as 'curvy'? The media's a big fan of it, for one.

In my eyes, curves are the SHAPE of your body, for EG - Small waist, wider hips etc, and you can be curvy whether fat, skinny or inbetween.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• lmfbs
    lmfbs Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    No, but I do find it irritating (gross, even) when people use the term 'grossly obese'.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I am not saying 'grossly obese' as in 'ew', I am using grossly obese as in the medical term, grossly meaning extremely. Please don't jump to conclusions.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Last night i was watching something, think it was called Fat Feeders and it was about men who love their women big. When i say big, the bigger the better. This mans wife was about 650lbs and her husband was on about society and how curves are so much better. Im sorry but a woman at 650lbs is not "curvy", she's dangerously over weight. I consider curvy as someone like Marilyn Monroe.
  • xchinad0ll
    xchinad0ll Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know what you mean.. its like giving big girls a feel good excuse to be overweight. Curvy to me would be an hourglass shape or any shape that curves (small waist shapely thighs and legs etc..)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either. I consider myself curvy even if I'm not overweight. My stats are 33-26.5-35.5 (hourglass-pear shaped) & with a rounded butt so defintely I'm curvy.

I think the media has a poor understanding on what a curvy is supposed to be. The likes of JLo, Beyonce, Shakira etc. are all curvy women even if they are not overweight.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who gets irritated by the painting of anyone slightly chubby, overweight or even grossly (morbidly) obese as 'curvy'? The media's a big fan of it, for one.

In my eyes, curves are the SHAPE of your body, for EG - Small waist, wider hips etc, and you can be curvy whether fat, skinny or inbetween.

Your thoughts?

I understand what you means and hate it. I see it more when a celeb puts on a couple of pound and suddenly they are put as being 'curvy'.
    But I do think that curvy can be over used, like if someone is 500lbs+
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Well if curvy=good.
    Morbidly obese have more curves =)
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I know what you mean. Last night i was watching something, think it was called Fat Feeders and it was about men who love their women big. When i say big, the bigger the better. This mans wife was about 650lbs and her husband was on about society and how curves are so much better. Im sorry but a woman at 650lbs is not "curvy", she's dangerously over weight. I consider curvy as someone like Marilyn Monroe.

I know exactly what you mean! I was reading an article the other day about this morbidly obese woman who wanted to become the fattest woman alive. The guy she was with was a slim chef and was saying how he likes his woman curvy. Ummmmm? If we're gonna be technical here, we're all 3D so very part of our body is going to have a 'curve'. Doesn't mean you're curvy. If you prefer fat or find it attractive, good for you, but don't call it something it's not. It just bugs me. I don't think some people know what curves look like. I have seen people with narrow hips and straight waists been classed as curvy just because they have some meat on them. Am I just being facetious here?
  • tanyalevan
    tanyalevan Posts: 182
    Options
    You can still be "obese" but have curvy measurements like a woman's waist could still be significantly smaller than her hips but you just can't see it till she is undressed...
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    They're only really lying to themselves if that's the case.

Every time somebody used to comment on my weight I used tell them I was "big boned" as I couldn't take the truth that I was overweight.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Or probably its because the majority of population in the US is either overweight or obese so which is why the media thinks being big is "curvy" while the supposedly normal weight people as "skinny" which obviously is not.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Well if curvy=good.

Hahaha, I just posted something about this. If we're gonna class curvy as having some sort of curve on your body, then everyone is curvy, even men :laugh:
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    You can still be "obese" but have curvy measurements like a woman's waist could still be significantly smaller than her hips but you just can't see it till she is undressed...

I know. I mentioned that in the original post.
  • trababes1971
    trababes1971 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

totally agree with you on this hun :0) Marilyn monroe was gorgeous wasnt she? :0). Think il always have curves me as thats the way im built, even when im a size 8-10 i still have curves lol. xxxxx
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    i understand curvy to mean an hourglass shape with breasts and bottom..
    fat generally comes with rolls, which I do not consider curves.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Well if curvy=good.

Hahaha, I just posted something about this. If we're gonna class curvy as having some sort of curve on your body, then everyone is curvy, even men :laugh:

On dating sites I put my body type as curvy =P
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Why get so irritated over semantics? Words can mean different things to different people.
  • tanyalevan
    tanyalevan Posts: 182
    Options

I know. I mentioned that in the original post.

Then I don't understand how do you define someone as curvy without getting out the measuring tape??
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    i understand curvy to mean an hourglass shape with breasts and bottom..
    fat generally comes with rolls, which I do not consider curves.

^this.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Well if curvy=good.

On dating sites I put my body type as curvy =P

:laugh:
This discussion has been closed.