Fat =/= curvy

Options

Replies

• Escarda
    Escarda Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I agree.
    Im not big, but im not a stick either..
    And people always see me in my giant coat and baggy hoodys and assume im not curvy because i am smaller then them.
    And yes i might not have the biggest boobs.
    But my bum is enormous and i dare someone several sizes bigger than me to think that theres is bigger..
    Its actually really bad lol. =/
    So waist down i am incredibly curvy..
    All people have to do is look down.. But they dont.. Because they just dont expect anything to be there. =/
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I don't call myself "curvy". I say that I am "lumpy" :laugh:
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I agree with you OP. I have a lot of overweight friends and family on my FaceBook and they are always talking about how they love their "curves" etc. But muffin tops and back rolls are NOT curves. It's just a way for overweight and unhealthy people to stay in denial about their physical condition. I won't lie, when I was heavier I might have said it, but then I got real with myself.
  • cior
    cior Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm curvy... always have been, always will be(small waist with wide hips and big *kitten*).

Now that I've lost the extra weight though, I look curvy and slim instead of curvy and wide.. which I like.

Some people think that you will always be curvy despite the weight.. and thats not true in my book. If nothing is defined, then you are not curvy.. you need to have definition in order to be curvy, I believe at least.

I agree. I am a curvy girl, but when I have that extra weight on me, I just feel large! I have fat on me but I do have curves. I want the fat off and more of the curves ;)
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Last night i was watching something, think it was called Fat Feeders and it was about men who love their women big. When i say big, the bigger the better. This mans wife was about 650lbs and her husband was on about society and how curves are so much better. Im sorry but a woman at 650lbs is not "curvy", she's dangerously over weight. I consider curvy as someone like Marilyn Monroe.
    i work at old navy, and i was yelled at because we don't carry over a size 20 in store. The lady was looking for a size 24, and i was told that we don't make clothes for real women, because real women have curves.
  • ShadowBandit
    Options
    My thought of this is quit obvious to all my friends and family, because as someone who countless people have said "you're not fat, you're just curvy" to, they all know how I respond. There is a damn difference between fat pulling on your *kitten* and having a bit of junk to call it a curve. I get pissed when people call me curvy, because to me that's just as bad as someone calling me fat - if not worse. They think they're helping by calling me it, but in reality it's worsening it.
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    They're only really lying to themselves if that's the case.

Every time somebody used to comment on my weight I used tell them I was "big boned" as I couldn't take the truth that I was overweight.

So true. If your fat your fat enough said!
  • jesshall281
    jesshall281 Posts: 219
    Options
    No, but I do find it irritating (gross, even) when people use the term 'grossly obese'.

Sorry, but if someone is 600 pounds and grossly obese then i would be grossed out. I just find people who are that size gross.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's one thing to promote self-acceptance and to not hate yourself, but promoting obese and morbidly obese as "curvy" is dangerous. Our society focuses way too much on being thin, BUT idealizing either extreme is not good either. It's great if a obese woman can feel sexy in her own skin, but to sensationalize it and make it seem like a great thing will ignore the fact that being extremely overweight is very very dangerous to one's health.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

As part of this, I had obese girls who are super proud of their massive tits, and it's like...your boobs aren't big because you have big boobs, your boobs are big because ALL OF YOU IS BIG. Natural big boobs look great, but when they're all lumpy they're just as unattractive as other body parts are when they're too fat.

Now, seriously, nothing against fat people, I am a fat people, but just call a spade a spade. If you're genuinely happy looking fat, then fine, just be happy about being fat. But if you have to kid yourselves by saying you're curvy, you're in denial and need to lose weight really.

This!
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I agree. People go on about how more women should embrace their curves and not worry about social standards of beauty, but in reality, most of these women are not curvy at all. There is curvy and then there is fat. Rolls and lumps all over your body are not curves. Sure, some women who are a bit overweight are still curvy, but if you are in a size 20, don't kid yourself. It's nice that you have some confidence, but you still need to take care of yourself and your own health. I consider myself curvy, but I still realize that I have fat on my curves and believe you me, I want to get rid of that fat and celebrate those curves and show these women what curvy really means!
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Language and society changes, and you're not going to shame anybody into losing weight. What I'm seeing in this thread honestly is a lot of former or scared fat people who are hating on what they have been or are afraid they are going to become. You don't lose weight with shooting down someone else. I'm fat, I'm insanely fat. I was insanely fatter, and what made me lose weight wasn't all the hate that's going on in here. It was getting a part of my life together and using the momentum to work on this. You shame someone and they sit in the dark, feed their mouths and insecurities. The media shoves small women down our throats way more then they shove curvy down yours. Deal with what people want to call themselves, keep your eyes on your own prize and frankly stop being so afraid.

Fear is the mind killer.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's one thing to promote self-acceptance and to not hate yourself, but promoting obese and morbidly obese as "curvy" is dangerous. Our society focuses way too much on being thin, BUT idealizing either extreme is not good either. It's great if a obese woman can feel sexy in her own skin, but to sensationalize it and make it seem like a great thing will ignore the fact that being extremely overweight is very very dangerous to one's health.

^this.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I know what you mean. Last night i was watching something, think it was called Fat Feeders and it was about men who love their women big. When i say big, the bigger the better. This mans wife was about 650lbs and her husband was on about society and how curves are so much better. Im sorry but a woman at 650lbs is not "curvy", she's dangerously over weight. I consider curvy as someone like Marilyn Monroe.
    i work at old navy, and i was yelled at because we don't carry over a size 20 in store. The lady was looking for a size 24, and i was told that we don't make clothes for real women, because real women have curves.

:laugh: hahahahahahahaha
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I agree with you OP. I have a lot of overweight friends and family on my FaceBook and they are always talking about how they love their "curves" etc. But muffin tops and back rolls are NOT curves. It's just a way for overweight and unhealthy people to stay in denial about their physical condition. I won't lie, when I was heavier I might have said it, but then I got real with myself.

^and this.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have curves. And my curves have lumps. Me and my curves are hoping to kick my lumps to the curb. LOL

I agree to a point that the word is overused, and certainly used by many as a crutch. But it infuriates me when people call people like Christina Hendricks fat. To me, she's the exact type of person that I think of when I hear curvy. You can be thinner/smaller than her and be curvy, and you can be bigger and be curvy, but she's kind of what's in my head when I think curvy. But because she's meatier than most in Hollywood she gets labeled as fat (along with many people who are so much smaller than she is), and that annoys me more than bigger girls using curvy. The thing that annoys me most is when people assume that thin = healthy and bigger = unhealthy. Yes, there are risk factors that come with more pounds, but the automatic assumption that thin people are healthy is proven wrong constantly. There are so many ways your body can turn against you, regardless of size. I wish more people understood that. Ok - rant over, since most of that wasn't about the topic. LOL
  • spookiewon
    spookiewon Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    No, but I do find it irritating (gross, even) when people use the term 'grossly obese'.

Me too. "Morbidly" is a medical term, but "grossly" is a pejorative one.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I have curves. And my curves have lumps. Me and my curves are hoping to kick my lumps to the curb. LOL

I agree to a point that the word is overused, and certainly used by many as a crutch. But it infuriates me when people call people like Christina Hendricks fat. To me, she's the exact type of person that I think of when I hear curvy. You can be thinner/smaller than her and be curvy, and you can be bigger and be curvy, but she's kind of what's in my head when I think curvy. But because she's meatier than most in Hollywood she gets labeled as fat (along with many people who are so much smaller than she is), and that annoys me more than bigger girls using curvy. The thing that annoys me most is when people assume that thin = healthy and bigger = unhealthy. Yes, there are risk factors that come with more pounds, but the automatic assumption that thin people are healthy is proven wrong constantly. There are so many ways your body can turn against you, regardless of size. I wish more people understood that. Ok - rant over, since most of that wasn't about the topic. LOL

Christina Hendricks is the epitomy of curvy :love:
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

Me too. "Morbidly" is a medical term, but "grossly" is a pejorative one.

Even though grossly has more than one meaning, one of which has nothing to do with obscenity or disgust?
  • spookiewon
    spookiewon Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Sorry, but if someone is 600 pounds and grossly obese then i would be grossed out. I just find people who are that size gross.

First of all, do you know how few people actually weigh 600 pounds? You weren't referring to 600 pound people and you know it. Those people never say they're "curvy." And the correct term for this, as pointed out, is MORBIDLY obese. Secondly, finding any people "gross" is cause for concern. They're PEOPLE for heaven's sake, and if you can't respect a person as a person because of how you feel about their appearance you need to assess your values because they're skewed.
This discussion has been closed.