Fat =/= curvy

Options

Replies

• delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If a person has no qualms in using "grossly obese", which is NOT a medical term; they would probably call you butt ugly to your face if they didn't think you were very attractive. The impression *I* get from the OP's description "grossly obese" is she thinks people with more than a few pounds to shed are gross, therefore having NO RIGHT to be called curvy. After all, curvy sounds sexy and how could someone that's grossly obese be sexy??
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Reading comprehension is strong in this group.

OP said that curvy is a shape and not a weight. She said you can be curvy and overweight. What is with all the pointless arguing? She can't have an opinion and share it on a forum? :huh:

She sure can, and so can everybody else. If you post a thread, you open it up for opinions, whether they agree with the OP, interpret it differently, or whatever...

(eta to change up the last sentence to include interpretation)
  • Escarda
    Escarda Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I find it funny that the majority of this thread seems to be a convo between a few "less than morbidly obese" people trying to judge whether or not people they consider "morbidly obese" call themselves curvy.

Mean girls much? Ummmya......

I dont see it like; look at that big girl, shes mad if she thinks she is curvy, its really just fat..

I see it as, because im not large people just assume im not curvy. And when i get to my goal weight i know people are gonna assume i have like a square male body.. Which just really annoys me, because when you work that hard to be your dream size, but still have big assets, its just annoying when people just assume your going to be flat. Its like atleast look before you judge. =/
  • Taras32
    Taras32 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If women can't even respect other women, how do we expect men to treat us with respect? Who cares what another woman looks like and who cares what she calls herself. As long as she's happy, you need to be happy for her. It's not your problem to worry about someone who is obese and it's certainly not your place to judge her. Curvy, fat, skinny, obese, tall, short, whatever. We're all women and we all deserve to be treated like humans and to be treated with respect. If a women has rolls or if she has no hips at all, she's allowed identify with being curvy. There are no rules and it's stupid to let that offend you. Just because a fat woman thinks she's curvy, it does not mean everyone else is going to think you're fat, too.

Women have enough problems in this world without having to deal with women putting each other down on a daily basis.

Cyber high five!!!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Reading comprehension is strong in this group.

OP said that curvy is a shape and not a weight. She said you can be curvy and overweight. What is with all the pointless arguing? She can't have an opinion and share it on a forum? :huh:

She sure can, and so can everybody else. If you post a thread, you open it up for opinions, whether they agree with the OP or not.

More like jumping to ridiculous conclusions. I don't expect everyone to agree, but some are just well...
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    In my eyes, curves are the SHAPE of your body, for EG - Small waist, wider hips etc, and you can be curvy whether fat, skinny or inbetween.

Absolutely. I am very curvy, and I'm under 110 lbs. I don't know how I'm supposed to describe my body type now that 'curvy' is a euphemism for obese (which I am obviously not!).
  • Taras32
    Taras32 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I find it funny that the majority of this thread seems to be a convo between a few "less than morbidly obese" people trying to judge whether or not people they consider "morbidly obese" call themselves curvy.

Mean girls much? Ummmya......

As sexy as I am do you know that the doctor considers me morbidly obese??? Morbid obesity is most simply defined as the incidence of a Body Mass Index (BMI) rating of over 40. BMI is measured by multiplying weight in pounds by 704.5, then dividing by height in inches squared. This is not a measurement of body fat, only a ratio determined by this formula.

I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of morbidly obese people on this thread judging not even knowing they are talking about themselves!!!
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I find it funny how this site is supposed to be encouraging and helpful to "curvy" people but this thread proves the opposite. People have their own opinions on what is curvy or overweight. I'm tall and I have curves. I have a 34-36 DD Chest and a skinny waist and large hips/thighs. I'm curvy. I'm overweight. BUT I'm doing something about the overweight part, and it isn't exactly anyone's business or right to put down people if they are in denial about their appearance. It isn't affecting any one of you in anyway, shape or form (see the pun I did there?). So why not just agree to disagree? If you see someone who is overweight, don't judge and put them down, help them feel encouraged and strong enough to change their body for their HEALTH. Not to please you people by fitting in with a technical term of "curvy".

Yikes. Very mean people on here, I have to say. This is why I stay out of the forums. There is enough drama in "real life". and it's ridiculous to see people on here judging and complaining over someone who may be overweight but considers themselves curvy. There's more important things in life, you know, than criticizing others. Maybe the person in denial over their weight have been made fun of all their life by people who JUDGE, which made them get to the size they are now? Show some respect. :grumble:
    Options
    I really see nothing mean in this thread. I did at first with "grossly" but I saw the OP's comment on how she did not mean for it to be like that.

I doubt any of these women discussing this topic sit at home for hours screaming "UGHH curves ARE NOT NOTNOTNOT FAT!!! ssausglfuold" and let it ruin their day. Probably just one of those little pet peeves that they notice for a second and forget about it.

I do the same with people who bite their nails in public. Annoys me to no end, and i forget about it after a second. But should i just "not judge them since they are real people and do what they want?

Just a convo. Nothing against overweight/obese people.
  • subtractionproject
    subtractionproject Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This post has just highlighted that a whole lot of people on this forum are idiots/kinda racist (and I am referring to the 'when I get a tan I call myself Latin' logic lady in this)/body shamers and really, really misogynistic.

That'll be me giving the forums a wide berth for a good while.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options

Christina Hendricks is the epitomy of curvy :love:
    Don't kid yourself; Hendricks is fat. Look at her when she's in a bikini not when she's all buttoned up in spanx and a dress. If she'd be 20-25 lbs lighter, she'd still be curvy, and healthier.

Well, I doubt very much she is fat, according to her BMI. Television adds weight, visually, and she is dressed to emphasize her curves. Perhaps you just don't like her look. To each his own, but no need to put her down by calling her fat when she's not.
    Options
    This post has just highlighted that a whole lot of people on this forum are idiots/kinda racist (and I am referring to the 'when I get a tan I call myself Latin' logic lady in this)/body shamers and really, really misogynistic.

That'll be me giving the forums a wide berth for a good while.

Racist?! Are you kidding me?

Body shamers yes I do see, but LOL
  • subtractionproject
    subtractionproject Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    By managing to subsidise 'Latin' into an anecdotal quirky comment about semantics, yeah. Kinda racist.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    ... If a women has rolls or if she has no hips at all, she's allowed identify with being curvy. There are no rules and it's stupid to let that offend you...

Certainly, all women are allowed to identify with whatever body type they wish. However, if they are not being honest with themselves, then their distorted self-image will likely have psychological consequences (such as insecurity or unhappiness). Furthermore, if "curvy," being a more acceptable and politically-correct term, is commonly used in our society in place of "overweight" and "obese," then the overweight/obese could potentially use this label as an excuse to avoid losing weight and improving their health, and therefore they would continue to contribute to the rise in obesity-related preventable diseases and would put further strain on the health care system.
    Options
    Back to actual discussion...

I have a question then. Are only hour glass shapes considered curvy then? Or pears too?
    I'm a bit curious if I fit this "curvy" definition. A little clueless on the topic.
    I usually classify most as athletic, average, overweight, obese since that is all i talk about in nutrition courses xD Mixing in shapes confuses me. I just learned that there is such a thing as a banana shape the other day!
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options

Christina Hendricks is the epitomy of curvy :love:
    Don't kid yourself; Hendricks is fat. Look at her when she's in a bikini not when she's all buttoned up in spanx and a dress. If she'd be 20-25 lbs lighter, she'd still be curvy, and healthier.

O.o

I've seen her in a swimsuit...she's curvy. And the point of the OP is that, even with extra weight, a woman can be "curvy". It's more to do with how a body is structured and where a woman carries her wait than how "fat" she may or may not be.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! Another chance for fat bashing!!

... Because there's not enough chances for people to do that in this world!

(that is sarcasm btw)
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who gets irritated by the painting of anyone slightly chubby, overweight or even grossly (morbidly) obese as 'curvy'? The media's a big fan of it, for one.

In my eyes, curves are the SHAPE of your body, for EG - Small waist, wider hips etc, and you can be curvy whether fat, skinny or inbetween.

Your thoughts?

I could NOT agree more!!! It always gets an eye roll from me.
  • twiztid_princess
    Options

I have a question then. Are only hour glass shapes considered curvy then? Or pears too?
    I'm a bit curious if I fit this "curvy" definition. A little clueless on the topic.
    I usually classify most as athletic, average, overweight, obese since that is all i talk about in nutrition courses xD Mixing in shapes confuses me. I just learned that there is such a thing as a banana shape the other day!

seriously a banana shape?? wow.. curvy really means that you are not a straight board.. do you have hips? an *kitten*? Breasts? all or any of the above? then yes you are curvy.. That is just my opinion of course.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options

I personally would consider pear shapes curvy. I think it's more to do with hip/waist ratio than anything...at least for me. For instance, my sister has DD's, but no real defined waist and no hips/butt to speak of. I'm not sure how I'd describe her, but it wouldn't be "curvy". Voluptuous maybe?
This discussion has been closed.