Fat =/= curvy

Options

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Back to actual discussion...

I have a question then. Are only hour glass shapes considered curvy then? Or pears too?
    I'm a bit curious if I fit this "curvy" definition. A little clueless on the topic.
    I usually classify most as athletic, average, overweight, obese since that is all i talk about in nutrition courses xD Mixing in shapes confuses me. I just learned that there is such a thing as a banana shape the other day!

seriously a banana shape?? wow.. curvy really means that you are not a straight board.. do you have hips? an *kitten*? Breasts? all or any of the above? then yes you are curvy.. That is just my opinion of course.

Oh you didn't know either then? Glad im not alone! Banana is very narrow hips, and not too much of a shape I guess. Never really waid attention enough xD

Looking at some of the pictures in this thread I can't tell if I have an *kitten* or not anymore! xD
    Interesting to see a whole group's point of view on a subject i think ^-^
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Christina Hendricks is the epitomy of curvy :love:
    Don't kid yourself; Hendricks is fat. Look at her when she's in a bikini not when she's all buttoned up in spanx and a dress. If she'd be 20-25 lbs lighter, she'd still be curvy, and healthier.
    I've seen her in a swimsuit...she's curvy. And the point of the OP is that, even with extra weight, a woman can be "curvy". It's more to do with how a body is structured and where a woman carries her wait than how "fat" she may or may not be.

Since when is a size 10 considered fat?

"Standing next to Christina Hendricks, one wouldn't necessarily be overwhelmed by the Mad Men actress's curves. But on television, the size 10 star looks extremely voluptuous. The red head even acknowledged that she didn't see her frame as particularly noteworthy; "I never thought about it. I know this sounds naïve, but I honestly never expected this kind of attention," she has said. When it comes to dressing her curves, Hendricks told Marie Claire, "Instead of trying to downplay your curves, find a designer or style that glorifies them."

Source:
    http://www.ivillage.com/adele-real-sizes-famous-women/4-b-107382
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options

I have a question then. Are only hour glass shapes considered curvy then? Or pears too?
    I'm a bit curious if I fit this "curvy" definition. A little clueless on the topic.
    I usually classify most as athletic, average, overweight, obese since that is all i talk about in nutrition courses xD Mixing in shapes confuses me. I just learned that there is such a thing as a banana shape the other day!

I personally would consider pear shapes curvy. I think it's more to do with hip/waist ratio than anything...at least for me. For instance, my sister has DD's, but no real defined waist and no hips/butt to speak of. I'm not sure how I'd describe her, but it wouldn't be "curvy". Voluptuous maybe?

Voluptuous makes sense i think! That is how my roommate is. Had very narrow hips (used to be said banana shape) but now has DDs at 108 pounds!
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options

I personally would consider pear shapes curvy. I think it's more to do with hip/waist ratio than anything...at least for me. For instance, my sister has DD's, but no real defined waist and no hips/butt to speak of. I'm not sure how I'd describe her, but it wouldn't be "curvy". Voluptuous maybe?

Voluptuous makes sense i think! That is how my roommate is. Had very narrow hips (used to be said banana shape) but now has DDs at 108 pounds!

lol I think my sister is what you'd consider and "apple". I'd heard banana before...I think it's basically a "new" term for "athletic" women. Basically women who are pretty even breast/waist/hips. I think, lol.
  • abberbabber
    Options

Don't kid yourself; Hendricks is fat. Look at her when she's in a bikini not when she's all buttoned up in spanx and a dress. If she'd be 20-25 lbs lighter, she'd still be curvy, and healthier.
    I've seen her in a swimsuit...she's curvy. And the point of the OP is that, even with extra weight, a woman can be "curvy". It's more to do with how a body is structured and where a woman carries her wait than how "fat" she may or may not be.

Since when is a size 10 considered fat?

"Standing next to Christina Hendricks, one wouldn't necessarily be overwhelmed by the Mad Men actress's curves. But on television, the size 10 star looks extremely voluptuous. The red head even acknowledged that she didn't see her frame as particularly noteworthy; "I never thought about it. I know this sounds naïve, but I honestly never expected this kind of attention," she has said. When it comes to dressing her curves, Hendricks told Marie Claire, "Instead of trying to downplay your curves, find a designer or style that glorifies them."

Source:
    http://www.ivillage.com/adele-real-sizes-famous-women/4-b-107382

Just to clarify, I would never consider her fat. I think she's gorgeous...I'd kill for her hair and figure lol.
  • innerJennifer
    Options
    I think it has already been said that curvy implies certain measurements. I've learned that curvy also implies that you are "fat" or "out of shape". I have used the term to refer to a "petite" friend and she was so offended. I was giving her a compliment and she thought i was calling her fat. She immediately told me how much she weighed. I laughed and explained that I was complimenting how she looked very glamorous in her form fitting dress - a la curves in the right places. She was embarrassed afterward. It just proved to me - YES - curvy=fat in most cases. I DON"T agree. I believe curvy = WOMAN.
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If a person has no qualms in using "grossly obese", which is NOT a medical term; they would probably call you butt ugly to your face if they didn't think you were very attractive. The impression *I* get from the OP's description "grossly obese" is she thinks people with more than a few pounds to shed are gross, therefore having NO RIGHT to be called curvy. After all, curvy sounds sexy and how could someone that's grossly obese be sexy??

I think you've hit the nail on its head!

And I think the war against "curvy" has been lost - most plus sized clothing lines now call themselves some variation on "curve". See ASOS Curve or the weird Bravissimo clothing sizing.

In Australia, most plus size lines just tack "woman" on the end of the name. Eg Target Woman, Myer Woman, but I didn't notice anyone complaining that this implied that people wearing straight sizes weren't "really women".
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    But just because someone is overweight, like me, I'm still curvy to me and I'm fat.. i have a defined waist and hips... I'm a size 20. I'm getting fit and in shape, not because i'm ashamed of my body but because I want to be a better version of me. I have been told I'm too tiny for guys that like fat girls but too big for guys that like chunky girls... I don't understand why how someone labels themselves bothers people so much... if someone is happy with themselves, when do people enjoy tearing them down.

Exactly. Curvy IS a shape, not a weight. Both overweight and normal weight people can be curvy. But to say you can't be curvy and overweight is simply inaccurate. The OP was objecting to people she found gross using a term that describes her as well. Curvy women have a relatively large waist to hip ratio.

I'm the antithesis of curvy. I have an abnormally small waist to hip ratio. This was true when I was at my largest, it's true now, and it will be true when I'm at my goal. I'm thankful they have started making less-curvy women's clothes, because in the past I'd need to look in the Junior department for jeans that sit low on my hips. Misses jeans that fit at the waist are baggy in the hips, butt and thighs for me.

NO, I WAS NOT. Stop putting words in my mouth. I NEVER said anyone was gross, I used the term grossly obese, with gross implying extremely. It was gramatically incorrect, fair enough, but for God's sake, don't tell me I'm 'objecting to people I find gross using the curvy term', because I NEVER SAID THAT. I was objective to non-curvy people, IE, people with straight waists, narrow hips, or just simply fat rolls with no shape referring to themselves as curvy. Nothing less, nothing more. So PLEASE, stop trying to put words in my mouth.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

Well, I doubt very much she is fat, according to her BMI. Television adds weight, visually, and she is dressed to emphasize her curves. Perhaps you just don't like her look. To each his own, but no need to put her down by calling her fat when she's not.

Hendricks definitely looks overweight/fat to me.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    No, but I do find it irritating (gross, even) when people use the term 'grossly obese'.

Sorry, but if someone is 600 pounds and grossly obese then i would be grossed out. I just find people who are that size gross.

First of all, do you know how few people actually weigh 600 pounds? You weren't referring to 600 pound people and you know it. Those people never say they're "curvy." And the correct term for this, as pointed out, is MORBIDLY obese. Secondly, finding any people "gross" is cause for concern. They're PEOPLE for heaven's sake, and if you can't respect a person as a person because of how you feel about their appearance you need to assess your values because they're skewed.

:S is this to me or to the person who actually posted "Sorry, but if someone is 600 pounds and grossly obese then i would be grossed out. I just find people who are that size gross." <- because I DID NOT post that.

That is what it's attached to. I clicked "Quote" and typed a reply to the comment. It looks to me like it follows that quote and it refers to the 600 pound people explicitly and says that if you can't respect people because of looks you have skewed values. I stand by all of that. I stand by the entire quote box, in order, as it is displayed on my computer.

1) "...I do find it irritating..."
    2) "...someone is 600 pounds..."
    3) "...do you know how few people..."

In want way does it not appear I am referring to the post above?

EDIT: You know what? Report me. You think I did something wrong, report me.

I DID NOT say this;

"Sorry, but if someone is 600 pounds and grossly obese then i would be grossed out. I just find people who are that size gross."

So don't attack me for it. Because it wasn't me who posted it.

As I said, report me. I didn't attack you. I clearly replied to the comment above mine. Let a moderator decide if you are attacked by me replying to someone else. YOU attacked me and I have no problem with a mod settling it.

I attacked you? :S

You just came here looking for a fight, didn't you? You accuse me of saying something I didn't (I.E - 600lb people are gross'), then say I attacked you. And now you're trying to bring Mods into it? :S
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I find it funny that the majority of this thread seems to be a convo between a few "less than morbidly obese" people trying to judge whether or not people they consider "morbidly obese" call themselves curvy.

Mean girls much? Ummmya......

What are you trying to say?
  • abberbabber
    Options
    But just because someone is overweight, like me, I'm still curvy to me and I'm fat.. i have a defined waist and hips... I'm a size 20. I'm getting fit and in shape, not because i'm ashamed of my body but because I want to be a better version of me. I have been told I'm too tiny for guys that like fat girls but too big for guys that like chunky girls... I don't understand why how someone labels themselves bothers people so much... if someone is happy with themselves, when do people enjoy tearing them down.

Exactly. Curvy IS a shape, not a weight. Both overweight and normal weight people can be curvy. But to say you can't be curvy and overweight is simply inaccurate. The OP was objecting to people she found gross using a term that describes her as well. Curvy women have a relatively large waist to hip ratio.

I'm the antithesis of curvy. I have an abnormally small waist to hip ratio. This was true when I was at my largest, it's true now, and it will be true when I'm at my goal. I'm thankful they have started making less-curvy women's clothes, because in the past I'd need to look in the Junior department for jeans that sit low on my hips. Misses jeans that fit at the waist are baggy in the hips, butt and thighs for me.

NO, I WAS NOT. Stop putting words in my mouth. I NEVER said anyone was gross, I used the term grossly obese, with gross implying extremely. It was gramatically incorrect, fair enough, but for God's sake, don't tell me I'm 'objecting to people I find gross using the curvy term', because I NEVER SAID THAT. I was objective to non-curvy people, IE, people with straight waists, narrow hips, or just simply fat rolls with no shape referring to themselves as curvy. Nothing less, nothing more. So PLEASE, stop trying to put words in my mouth.

Just a thought...could the "grossly" thing be a cultural difference? Like maybe in here in the US we're used to saying "morbidly" but in the UK (or elsewhere) they say "grossly"?Just a thought :) I really don't think InnerFatGirl was trying to offend anyone.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    If women can't even respect other women, how do we expect men to treat us with respect? Who cares what another woman looks like and who cares what she calls herself. As long as she's happy, you need to be happy for her. It's not your problem to worry about someone who is obese and it's certainly not your place to judge her. Curvy, fat, skinny, obese, tall, short, whatever. We're all women and we all deserve to be treated like humans and to be treated with respect. If a women has rolls or if she has no hips at all, she's allowed identify with being curvy. There are no rules and it's stupid to let that offend you. Just because a fat woman thinks she's curvy, it does not mean everyone else is going to think you're fat, too.

Women have enough problems in this world without having to deal with women putting each other down on a daily basis.

Oh here we go. The whole 'you go sister' talk.

Look. I don't care if we're women. That means nothing except we were born with a vagina. If we can talk about men's bodies, we can talk about women's bodies without this turning into a feminist issue.

Women have enough problems in this world without having to deal with women putting each other down on a daily basis? Oh, because this thread is to 'attack' women. Oh, poor things. Yes, let's just change definitions and refer to everyone as curvy, just to protect those fragile women.

Give me a break, please. It irritates me. Simple as. I don't know why people are trying to make this into an analytical, sociological debate.
  • abberbabber
    Options

Well, I doubt very much she is fat, according to her BMI. Television adds weight, visually, and she is dressed to emphasize her curves. Perhaps you just don't like her look. To each his own, but no need to put her down by calling her fat when she's not.

Hendricks definitely looks overweight/fat to me.

I wanna be fat like her :laugh:
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

Just a thought...could the "grossly" thing be a cultural difference? Like maybe in here in the US we're used to saying "morbidly" but in the UK (or elsewhere) they say "grossly"?Just a thought :) I really don't think InnerFatGirl was trying to offend anyone.

I think it might be. We don't really use the term 'gross' here THAT much. At least not as much as I've heard Americans use it. When I watch documentaries, they tend to say gross, or morbidly. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I was using it in terms of extremely. But some people would rather I was trying to be horrible, so they've made it up in their minds that that's what I meant.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I am not saying 'grossly obese' as in 'ew', I am using grossly obese as in the medical term, grossly meaning extremely. Please don't jump to conclusions.

The word you're looking for is 'morbidly'.

EXACTLY! In fact, the OP used "morbidly" in parentheses after "grossly" so she knew "grossly" was or might be offensive. "Grossly obese" is NOT a medical term, and it's easy to jump to conclusions when someone has not used the correct words.

I put in the parenthisis AFTER the first lady mentioned it.
  • abberbabber
    Options

I think it might be. We don't really use the term 'gross' here THAT much. At least not as much as I've heard Americans use it. When I watch documentaries, they tend to say gross, or morbidly. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I was using it in terms of extremely. But some people would rather I was trying to be horrible, so they've made it up in their minds that that's what I meant.

I've always heard morbidly, but I understood what you meant :wink:
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Let's not hate on each other. If someone is morbidly obese and they wanna call themselves curvy will you die? Probably not....they're most likely in denial of their weight like we've all been. Let's encourage one another and find something else worth getting irritated about. Like the ongoing child obesity epidemic.

Come on, stop fighting on this thread for something trivial!! :flowerforyou:

It's not hating, and no it won't kill me, but am I not allowed to have a pet peeve?

The ongoing child obesity epidemic is more than a pet peeve and I will gladly offer my opinion about it. But it's not what this thread is about.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

She stll has a curvy shape, though.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I've always heard morbidly, but I understood what you meant :wink:

Same, I never thought of it as anything other than meaning extremely o.o

Some people here are just LOOKING to be offended.
This discussion has been closed.