Replies

• shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    didn't mean to post this one...
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I am not saying 'grossly obese' as in 'ew', I am using grossly obese as in the medical term, grossly meaning extremely. Please don't jump to conclusions.

The word you're looking for is 'morbidly'.

I put that into the original post now, but I am pretty sure it's a widely used term and not derogatory.

I just wanted to say, the term grossly obese is not derogatory. Gross can also mean:

1.flagrant and extreme

It doesnt always have to mean:

2.Obscene or vulgar.

People take offense to things like this. And THIS is why society uses the term "curvy" because it makes it ok then to be grossly obese.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Curves r great! Love mine. I dont want to resemble a 12 yr old lol
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I am not saying 'grossly obese' as in 'ew', I am using grossly obese as in the medical term, grossly meaning extremely. Please don't jump to conclusions.

The word you're looking for is 'morbidly'.

I put that into the original post now, but I am pretty sure it's a widely used term and not derogatory.

I just wanted to say, the term grossly obese is not derogatory. Gross can also mean:

1.flagrant and extreme

It doesnt always have to mean:

2.Obscene or vulgar.

People take offense to things like this. And THIS is why society uses the term "curvy" because it makes it ok then to be grossly obese.

Thank you.

It's like, when they say gross loan, they not talking about obsecenity. I wish people would stop jumping to conclusions. I wouldn't refer to an obese person as gross other than in my head. There's no need for it.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Skinny girls can have curves too. It's just the shape of one's body. Fat =/= curvy, it's just fat.

The reason I'm trying to lose weight is cause I'm trying to get rid of my curves. I know I can't though, it's genetics and the way I am built.

^This.

But why are you trying to get rid of curves?

I know this may sound bad to some of you... but I want to get rid of them because it makes me see myself as fat. My goal is to be very thin and I know even then I'll have curves (genetics), but at least I might start to like my body then.

I'm not sure what to say to this. I wish you then best of luck.
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    Skinny girls can have curves too. It's just the shape of one's body. Fat =/= curvy, it's just fat.

The reason I'm trying to lose weight is cause I'm trying to get rid of my curves. I know I can't though, it's genetics and the way I am built.

^This.

I know this may sound bad to some of you... but I want to get rid of them because it makes me see myself as fat. My goal is to be very thin and I know even then I'll have curves (genetics), but at least I might start to like my body then.

Oh I forgot to mention that I'm trying to change my mindset. I have body image issues and I am working on changing my goals to more realistic ones with the help of the amazing people on here. I think curves are nice, I just wish I could like mine. I completely agree when you say fat doesn't equal curves, I guess I keep forgetting that. The media has impacted me quite a bit.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

^This.

Oh I forgot to mention that I'm trying to change my mindset. I have body image issues and I am working on changing my goals to more realistic ones with the help of the amazing people on here. I think curves are nice, I just wish I could like mine. I completely agree when you say fat doesn't equal curves, I guess I keep forgetting that. The media has impacted me quite a bit.

At least you can admit it and are trying change it! Well done - that shows great strength and maturity on your part. I really do wish you the best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    23573598019173854_MOZdeQfl_c.jpg

:love:
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

That's really, really rude.

Why do so many threads on mfp end up with skinny bashing comments? Makes me sick.

And in reply to the OP

OMG IT DRIVES ME MAD TOO

It's delusional to think your roles of fat are curves, and sexy. If you're in to fat chicks fine, good on you, but don't kid yourselves into thinking you're a beyonce lookalike.
    I've been caught in the delusion before, when I was 16 and thought I was sexy as hell, I was all like "YEAH I'M CURVY, RL WOMEN HAVE CURVES!" etc etc, and now I just *facepalm* at my 16 year old self.

I am FAT. I have big hips and a small waist, underneath the fat somewhere. When I lose the excess fat, I will have DEFINED CURVES.
    But just now, all I am, is lumpy.

Fat isn't curvy. Curvy isn't fat. People need to stop trying to justify their own laziness/choice not to lose weight by claiming to be "curvy"

As part of this, I had obese girls who are super proud of their massive tits, and it's like...your boobs aren't big because you have big boobs, your boobs are big because ALL OF YOU IS BIG. Natural big boobs look great, but when they're all lumpy they're just as unattractive as other body parts are when they're too fat.

Now, seriously, nothing against fat people, I am a fat people, but just call a spade a spade. If you're genuinely happy looking fat, then fine, just be happy about being fat. But if you have to kid yourselves by saying you're curvy, you're in denial and need to lose weight really.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

That's really, really rude.

Why do so many threads on mfp end up with skinny bashing comments? Makes me sick.

And in reply to the OP

OMG IT DRIVES ME MAD TOO

It's delusional to think your roles of fat are curves, and sexy. If you're in to fat chicks fine, good on you, but don't kid yourselves into thinking you're a beyonce lookalike.
    I've been caught in the delusion before, when I was 16 and thought I was sexy as hell, I was all like "YEAH I'M CURVY, RL WOMEN HAVE CURVES!" etc etc, and now I just *facepalm* at my 16 year old self.

I am FAT. I have big hips and a small waist, underneath the fat somewhere. When I lose the excess fat, I will have DEFINED CURVES.
    But just now, all I am, is lumpy.

Fat isn't curvy. Curvy isn't fat. People need to stop trying to justify their own laziness/choice not to lose weight by claiming to be "curvy"

As part of this, I had obese girls who are super proud of their massive tits, and it's like...your boobs aren't big because you have big boobs, your boobs are big because ALL OF YOU IS BIG. Natural big boobs look great, but when they're all lumpy they're just as unattractive as other body parts are when they're too fat.

Now, seriously, nothing against fat people, I am a fat people, but just call a spade a spade. If you're genuinely happy looking fat, then fine, just be happy about being fat. But if you have to kid yourselves by saying you're curvy, you're in denial and need to lose weight really.

You're so f u c king real. LOVE your post :flowerforyou:
  • ComicBookGeekGirl
    Options
    Am I the only one who gets irritated by the painting of anyone slightly chubby, overweight or even grossly (morbidly) obese as 'curvy'? The media's a big fan of it, for one.

In my eyes, curves are the SHAPE of your body, for EG - Small waist, wider hips etc, and you can be curvy whether fat, skinny or inbetween.

Your thoughts?
    I agree with you. Even at my highest weight, I can be considered curvy because I have a rather large rack, and my waist is smaller than my hips which gives me that classic hourglass shape. I still don't consider myself curvy though, but fluffy.
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't think fat is always curvy, but being fat doesn't mean you can't be curvy either I'm totally a fat girl, but it's proportional, and my figure is a large hourglass. My waist is a full 13 inches smaller than my hips and bust. I personally prefer the term "zaftig" to describe myself. I also like "roundy."
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I don't think fat is always curvy, but being fat doesn't mean you can't be curvy either I'm totally a fat girl, but it's proportional, and my figure is a large hourglass. My waist is a full 13 inches smaller than my hips and bust. I personally prefer the term "zaftig" to describe myself. I also like "roundy."

Of course. I did reference to that in the OP. It's about shape, not weight. Unless, of course, you're so fat that your curves are hidden, in which case, I wouldn't consider you curvy until they became visible again.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I was always annoyed with that connotation, as well.

Being athletic, I was never "curvy". Ever. In fact, a lot of people, especially on MFP, would probably bash my body type when I train harder, because I get more muscle, with broad shoulders and very narrow hips. My boyfriend actually commented on how narrow my hips are, because he's always dated women with more hippage, which I just don't have.

Actually, I did have hips for a while, I lied. When I was pregnant, I could lie down and there would be an actual curve going down from my ribcage to my hips. Only time that's ever happened in my life, but I'm not into being pregnant to keep that trend going.

Anyway, the connotation that curvy somehow equals "chubby" or "fat" has always annoyed me, because I see a lot of women saying things like "I'm just built that way! It makes me a real woman, because I have curves!" I understand when people actually have a frame with hips and when they're at a healthier body fat composition, it creates obvious curves in their silhouette, and hey, that's sexy.

I just don't understand when people say they have curves, when in reality they have lumps. There is a distinct difference, but using a more happy word like "curvy" is almost a mental excuse to not be at a healthier body composition.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I was always annoyed with that connotation, as well.

Being athletic, I was never "curvy". Ever. In fact, a lot of people, especially on MFP, would probably bash my body type when I train harder, because I get more muscle, with broad shoulders and very narrow hips. My boyfriend actually commented on how narrow my hips are, because he's always dated women with more hippage, which I just don't have.

Actually, I did have hips for a while, I lied. When I was pregnant, I could lie down and there would be an actual curve going down from my ribcage to my hips. Only time that's ever happened in my life, but I'm not into being pregnant to keep that trend going.

Anyway, the connotation that curvy somehow equals "chubby" or "fat" has always annoyed me, because I see a lot of women saying things like "I'm just built that way! It makes me a real woman, because I have curves!" I understand when people actually have a frame with hips and when they're at a healthier body fat composition, it creates obvious curves in their silhouette, and hey, that's sexy.

I just don't understand when people say they have curves, when in reality they have lumps. There is a distinct difference, but using a more happy word like "curvy" is almost a mental excuse to not be at a healthier body composition.

This is, hands down, the best post on this thread.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    My biggest peeve is when people throw around the "real women have curves" phrase. Skinny people or people with no curves are real, too! They are not fake! Whether you have curves or not is GENETICS.
  • RH_Brazell
    RH_Brazell Posts: 339
    Options
    hell i wish i had more curves:laugh:
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree. Curves and rolls are not the same thing.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Yeah I agree. Curves and rolls are not the same thing.

Agreed :)
This discussion has been closed.